PDA

View Full Version : Hell on Wheels

Slava
11-06-2011, 09:11 PM
Anyone else catch the pilot of this on AMC? Great show, and a great first episode. I really enjoyed it and will continue watching.

At least a chunk was shot near Calgary (maybe all?), so its kind of a feel good local thing in a way as well.

Ark2
11-06-2011, 09:14 PM
Yupp. Very interesting show. Thought the pilot was well done and I look forward to watching it again next week. It's a good thing too because The Walking Dead is starting to get kind of boring for me.

tete
11-06-2011, 09:16 PM
Thanks for the reminder, I'd forgotten about it. The husband of a friend of mine was an extra in the pilot. It's set to record tonight, I'll have to watch it this week. :)

Hockey_Ninja
11-06-2011, 09:19 PM
I was an extra on that show. Worked in the background mining the ground and getting off the train. Pretty pissed when i found out that because we haven't got our permanent residency yet that i couldn't get paid my $2000. At least i'm on t.v...Now i feel sad.

Lil Pedro
11-06-2011, 09:31 PM
Liked the first episode. Looking forward to seeing how this series plays out.

Canuck-Hater
11-06-2011, 10:13 PM
Anyone else catch the pilot of this on AMC? Great show, and a great first episode. I really enjoyed it and will continue watching.

At least a chunk was shot near Calgary (maybe all?), so its kind of a feel good local thing in a way as well.

I get the feeling that the majority of the series is around Calgary.

Hemi-Cuda
11-06-2011, 10:26 PM
I was an extra on that show. Worked in the background mining the ground and getting off the train. Pretty pissed when i found out that because we haven't got our permanent residency yet that i couldn't get paid my $2000. At least i'm on t.v...Now i feel sad.

did you speak to anyone working on the show by the name of Suzy? my aunt was doing a lot of the extra's staffing for this show while it was shooting in Calgary

3 Justin 3
11-06-2011, 10:50 PM

Really? Where did you get the job from, I want to be an extra and for $2000, seems like easy work.

kermitology
11-06-2011, 10:53 PM
I see that Common is one of the main characters. I swore I saw him at the Eau Claire YMCA during the timeframe of filming.. I guess I was right! I even saw him at dinner at Oceana.

corporatejay
11-07-2011, 12:05 AM
I see that Common is one of the main characters. I swore I saw him at the Eau Claire YMCA during the timeframe of filming.. I guess I was right! I even saw him at dinner at Oceana.

He was staying at the sheraton

Mav
11-08-2011, 12:44 AM
Great pilot. To be frank, I enjoyed the pilot of this more than the pilot of Deadwood... Really hope this one get picked up.

VANFLAMESFAN
11-09-2011, 02:42 AM
Entertaining episode for sure. I do however think the show lacks a certain quality. It's a little cheesy for me. I thought the final monologue scene with Colm Meaney's character was laughable. Who the hell was he talking to? I assume the guy who was sending the telegram, but I don't know. It just seemed a bit much.

Definitely going to keep on watching, it was a fun watch for sure. I'm going to hold off judgement until I see some more episodes, but first impression have me seeing this as a little cheesy.

Bigtime
11-09-2011, 07:16 AM
It's always nice to see a show filmed in Calgary and area do well, the economic spin-offs are nice too. The more production we can get here in Calgary the better!

Yeah_Baby
11-09-2011, 09:10 AM
Entertaining episode for sure. I do however think the show lacks a certain quality. It's a little cheesy for me. I thought the final monologue scene with Colm Meaney's character was laughable. Who the hell was he talking to? I assume the guy who was sending the telegram, but I don't know. It just seemed a bit much.

Definitely going to keep on watching, it was a fun watch for sure. I'm going to hold off judgement until I see some more episodes, but first impression have me seeing this as a little cheesy.

Well he was basically speaking the audience without breaking the 4th wall. That is almost Shakespearean in nature.

DuffMan
11-21-2011, 01:38 PM
Just watched the first 2 episodes last night. Why are the Indians after the blonde? and where did they learn English so well?
This show has some real characters in it. Thought the old one handed boss man was great too bad he didn't last long. Also like the Swede.

Slava
11-21-2011, 01:52 PM
Just watched the first 2 episodes last night. Why are the Indians after the blonde? and where did they learn English so well?
This show has some real characters in it. Thought the old one handed boss man was great too bad he didn't last long. Also like the Swede.

I really like the Swede as well. Its a really good show. I am fine with the language issue...

Sainters7
11-21-2011, 02:26 PM
Gonna definitely give this show a chance. Currently watching the final season of Deadwood, very interested in the Old West setting these days.

EDIT: Actually now that I mention it, how does it stack up against Deadwood? Or is it too early to tell? Same kind of vibe, or totally different besides the setting?

Slava
11-21-2011, 02:28 PM
Well I am in the middle of Red Dead Redemption, which is probably why I think its such a great show!

Jacks
01-11-2012, 07:51 PM
Giving this thread a bump, the show was a little slow for a bit but I liked the last couple of episodes. Anyone know how many more left this season?

Ark2
01-11-2012, 08:04 PM
Giving this thread a bump, the show was a little slow for a bit but I liked the last couple of episodes. Anyone know how many more left this season?

I believe there is one more episode. I was almost on the verge o giving up on it but I am starting to really get into it now. It would be nice if they developed the characters a little better, but I think we might start to see this take shape next season.

Slava
01-11-2012, 08:38 PM
I really like it and the past couple episodes were really good. I think Ark2 is right thougj, one more episode this season. I think it was picked up for another though?

Inferno
01-11-2012, 08:41 PM
I gave up on it about a month ago but I think all the episodes I missed are on my PVR so I may check them out now.

Jacks
01-11-2012, 09:01 PM
IMDB is showing one more episode and there is a (blank) entry for season 2. Assuming the finale isn't a total trainwreck (no pun intended) then I hope it gets picked up for another season.

Edit: Looks like it may have already been renewed.
http://www.deadline.com/2011/12/amc-renews-hell-on-wheels-for-season-2/

Joborule
01-11-2012, 09:46 PM
Echo the same thoughts recently posted in this thread. First few episodes were tough to get through, but the past couple of episodes have made the wait worth it.

REDVAN
01-11-2012, 10:20 PM
I wonder if you re-watch the first few episodes (after seeing a little bit of plot development since then) that they'd be better?

I am hoping this one gets renewed for a few more seasons (and they have more than 10 episodes!)

Hemi-Cuda
01-11-2012, 10:24 PM
IMDB is showing one more episode and there is a (blank) entry for season 2. Assuming the finale isn't a total trainwreck (no pun intended) then I hope it gets picked up for another season.

Edit: Looks like it may have already been renewed.
http://www.deadline.com/2011/12/amc-renews-hell-on-wheels-for-season-2/

my aunt works as a casting director for the show, and i can confirm that they did get picked up for another season

Stay Golden
01-11-2012, 11:55 PM
Since Dexter and Walking Dead has finished i started watching Hell on Wheels i'm glad I pvr'd the episodes and watched them over the holidays. What a great series, this has turned into my favorite Action Drama series currently.
You can sure recognize the Cochrane and area landscape!

Biggest shocker last episode was the Irish racist guy showed up alive. Can't wait till the Swede gets his due.

habernac
01-12-2012, 08:05 AM
Since Dexter and Walking Dead has finished i started watching Hell on Wheels i'm glad I pvr'd the episodes and watched them over the holidays. What a great series, this has turned into my favorite Action Drama series currently.
You can sure recognize the Cochrane and area landscape!

Biggest shocker last episode was the Irish racist guy showed up alive. Can't wait till the Swede gets his due.

But.... I'm from Norway. :D

Locke
01-12-2012, 09:09 AM
I wasnt watching this show but they ran a full-day marathon a few weeks ago when I was sick so I caught up on the whole thing and I have to say that outside of a slow start its a great show, I'm really liking it.

Its not so grandiose, in a way its understated but it has a good story and has developed characters that keep you interested.

zamler
01-12-2012, 09:17 AM
Biggest shocker last episode was the ........................ Can't wait till the Swede gets his due.
Try spoilers, have not seen the latest episode. Doosh bag. :confused:

KTrain
01-12-2012, 09:32 AM
CPers should know by now that if you're not caught up with all the episodes of a TV show you don't go into a thread dedicated to talking about that TV show.

We should be able to talk about the latest episode without adding spoilers otherwise we'll just have a thread full of spoiler tags.

Jacks
01-12-2012, 12:39 PM
Even if you are caught up with the show you might want to stay away from these threads. People on here have an almost psychic way of predicting what is going to happen. I wish I never looked at the breaking bad thread this season.

To Be Quite Honest
01-13-2012, 06:32 AM
I don't even watch movie trailers as I don't want spoil a movie I want to see.

Thanks for the heads up on this show. I am really enjoying it so far and it fills the uncomfortable western void that was missing from TV.

MoneyGuy
01-13-2012, 08:51 AM
Try spoilers, have not seen the latest episode. Doosh bag. :confused:

Then don't read the thread. Geez, calling him out for that?

Bigtime
01-13-2012, 10:11 AM
Sets and some filming are supposed to start up in February around Calgary and area for season 2.

Jacks
01-13-2012, 02:44 PM
Sets and some filming are supposed to start up in February around Calgary and area for season 2.

Hope they bring their parka's.

zamler
01-13-2012, 09:11 PM
We should be able to talk about the latest episode without adding spoilers otherwise we'll just have a thread full of spoiler tags.
You can talk about the show without giving away major, specific plot points. Those should go in a spoiler tag, show some courtesy. Otherwise why does the spoiler tag exist? I had not seen that episode, and reading that ruined the surprise for me.

To Be Quite Honest
01-13-2012, 09:13 PM
Then don't read the thread. Geez, calling him out for that?

Or try using spoilers because that's what they are there for.

Jacks
01-13-2012, 09:31 PM
If you haven't seen the latest episode then why would you be reading a thread that discusses what is happening in the show?

Are we all supposed to wait a week until you get around to watching your pvr'd episodes? a month? when is it safe to discuss?

I can see using spoiler tags on the night of the new episode but after that c'mon.

To Be Quite Honest
01-13-2012, 10:34 PM
If you haven't seen the latest episode then why would you be reading a thread that discusses what is happening in the show?

Are we all supposed to wait a week until you get around to watching your pvr'd episodes? a month? when is it safe to discuss?

I can see using spoiler tags on the night of the new episode but after that c'mon.

No that individual should continue being a selfish d-bag and ignore using spoiler tags.

The fact that you try to argue this point is ridiculous and completely selfish.

Jacks
01-14-2012, 01:05 AM
Okay then, how much time has to pass before people can discuss what happened in an episode then?

Guess we should be using spoiler tags when we talk about the Cammy trade, someone may not have seen the news yet.

To Be Quite Honest
01-14-2012, 01:56 AM
Okay then, how much time has to pass before people can discuss what happened in an episode then?

Guess we should be using spoiler tags when we talk about the Cammy trade, someone may not have seen the news yet.

Challenge Accepted! /sarcasm for your ridiculous post.

Bigtime
01-14-2012, 07:06 AM
Ah, the good ol' internet forum debate about posting TV show spoilers.

KTrain
01-14-2012, 10:33 AM
You can talk about the show without giving away major, specific plot points. Those should go in a spoiler tag, show some courtesy. Otherwise why does the spoiler tag exist? I had not seen that episode, and reading that ruined the surprise for me.

How long are we supposed to wait for people to watch the episode? It's been nearly a week since the episode aired. Is it OK to talk about it now?

Isn't it easier to ask the people who don't want to be spoiled to wait until they have seen all the episodes before visiting the thread? It's a thread dedicated to talking about the a specific show. You should expect people to talk about what's going on in the show.

The entire thread will be spoiler tags after each episode and I doubt anyone will go back to remove the tags after the designated spoiler-free time has elapsed.

KTrain
01-14-2012, 10:39 AM
No that individual should continue being a selfish d-bag and ignore using spoiler tags.

The fact that you try to argue this point is ridiculous and completely selfish.

I think it's selfish to ask everyone else to tip-toe around those few people who don't keep up with the show but still want to discuss it. Why should we wait for everyone else to catch up to discuss a show in a thread dedicated to discussing the show?

Ark2
01-14-2012, 11:04 AM
If you don't want any spoilers, don't come into this thread. After the finale on Sunday, I fully intend to come into this thread and discuss what I thought of the episode. I will not be using spoiler tags. End of story.

Slava
01-14-2012, 11:16 AM
I can't be the only one who was glad to see Lily Bell stick around a couple weeks ago?:wub:

Jacks
01-14-2012, 11:27 AM
After the finale on Sunday, I fully intend to come into this thread and discuss what I thought of the episode. I will not be using spoiler tags. End of story.

And I won't be able to watch it until Monday so I will be avoiding this thread.

To Be Quite Honest
01-14-2012, 02:17 PM
Lazy.

DuffMan
01-14-2012, 06:05 PM
I don't go into this thread or Walking Dead or Boardwalk Empire or True Blood threads unless I am completely caught up on what is going on, and willing to discuss it. I don't go in looking for spoiler tags and hoping to talk about last weeks episode. that's just ######ed.

Jacks
01-16-2012, 12:53 PM
Be interesting to see how they keep the story going with the main characters heading off in different directions like that.

Also, wouldn't the Swede be in a lot worse shape than that?

Slava
01-16-2012, 01:41 PM
Be interesting to see how they keep the story going with the main characters heading off in different directions like that.

Also, wouldn't the Swede be in a lot worse shape than that?

Ya, I think that was a rather hastily edited and thrown together ending? I guess they really didn't know if they were going to be picked up for another season though and maybe thats why it seemed that way?

Overall it was still such a good episode and just leaves a lot of questions. I suppose that is what the finale is supposed to do though, to keep people waiting for the next season.

I thought a similar issue with the Swede, but maybe the point was to humiliate him and he could still return next season but with a nicer persona somehow?

As for Cullen I have no idea what happens there. He needs to be with Hell on Wheels in some capacity, but I guess he's running from the law now. Could he pay the bounty? Could Lily pay it for him (or someone else)? I have no idea how that would've actually worked back then.

Jacks
01-16-2012, 03:05 PM
I guess they really didn't know if they were going to be picked up for another season though and maybe thats why it seemed that way?

I think you nailed it there, worst case scenario that wouldn't be a terrible ending if they were cancelled.

I assume the Swede will still be a regular character, at least I hope so. That guy is a great actor, he made the character so unlikeable that I felt no sympathy for him at all. I just thought at the end that he would be a lot more disfigured.

Don't think anyone could just pay off a bounty so who knows what will happen with Cullen. I'm guessing he'll be looking for the real Sargent and will be living as an outlaw?

The only way I can see him coming back to the rail project is if Durant uses his political connections to get a pardon for Cullen. Maybe Lily will play a part in that?

Locke
03-08-2012, 04:56 PM
Interestingly enough I just met one of the set builders for Hell on Wheels. Hes one of my tax clients and he gave me some info on the second season that they're working on now.

He built the train, so he was making jokes that while some other people built the railroad, he built the train.;)

Yeah_Baby
03-08-2012, 05:03 PM
Is said info under taxman/clientele privledge like the particulars of his tax return or no?

Locke
03-08-2012, 05:20 PM
Is said info under taxman/clientele privledge like the particulars of his tax return or no?

He did tell me that he wasnt supposed to tell me, but I dont know how 'tremendously earthbreaking' this information is.

He did say he would try and secure me a prop from the set. I asked for Cullen's gun, but felt I might be reaching for the stars on that one.

Yeah_Baby
03-08-2012, 05:23 PM
Probably easier to get a hold of one of Colm Meaney's chins.

Slava
08-12-2012, 11:19 AM
Season 2 premier this evening. Should be interesting to see how they tie things together.

Delthefunky
08-12-2012, 01:05 PM
I was an extra the first 5 episodes. Really really fun, and I can't wait to see the final cut!

Coys1882
08-12-2012, 02:49 PM
Three guys from my office have been steady extras for this show so I'm going to start watching it to see them - will I enjoy it?

Redliner
08-13-2012, 05:57 PM
Interesting start to the season but definitely a lot of grey space to be filled in. I found it a little. It of a reach that a supposedly principled character like Cullen went from "justice on a horse" to train robber in 30 seconds flat. Wasn't really clear whether or not Lily Bell has caved to Colm Meaney's advances or not - the one scene seemed to imply that there was a little something something going on, which of course probably means that there isn't.

zamler
08-14-2012, 02:27 AM
It of a reach that a supposedly principled character like Cullen went... from "justice on a horse" to train robber in 30 seconds flat.He was never a man of impeccable honour, not even close

Jacks
10-08-2012, 09:16 PM
Surprised this thread has fallen so far, great show.

Just watched the finale.
Not really happy with the way the season ended, killing off Lily like that and leaving the Swede open ended didn't really leave me satisfied. I hate when they end seasons like that because if for some reason it gets cancelled we end up with a Deadwood scenario. The Swede should have hung, bringing him back now would be beating a dead horse.

Canuck-Hater
10-08-2012, 10:39 PM
Just curious, how many CPer's have worked as extras on this show?

Pierre "Monster" McGuire
10-09-2012, 12:37 AM
Lily was probably my next favourite character to Cullen.

It really sucks she died.

Also, I don't think it would be beating a dead horse to have the Swede live after all. He's the new/continuing villain with Durant now out of the picture (maybe).

Can't wait for next season. Although it would have been nice to see what Cullen and Lily could do together. Oh well.

Alberta_Beef
10-09-2012, 12:41 AM
Lily was probably my next favourite character to Cullen.

It really sucks she died.

Also, I don't think it would be beating a dead horse to have the Swede live after all. He's the new/continuing villain with Durant now out of the picture (maybe).

Can't wait for next season. Although it would have been nice to see what Cullen and Lily could do together. Oh well.not sure why the need for spoilers since the episode has aired. But.....

I am fine with Lilly getting killed, she was starting to annoy me. I hope the Swede is gone too, I have never liked his character whatsoever. I really hope Season 3 focuses more on Elam and Eva and a whole new villain.

Jacks
10-09-2012, 01:23 AM
not sure why the need for spoilers since the episode has aired. But.....
Normally I would agree but I usually wait 1-2 days and give the PVR folks a chance to catch up. That being said I would be okay with never seeing the Swede again.

zamler
10-09-2012, 11:23 AM
Last episode made me very sad, and very very angry. The ultra convenient maybe the Swede will be back thing made me want to punch my TV. And the fact that the guy keeps getting away with doing whatever he wants, AND the fact that he seems to have little to no motivation other than being evil and crazy.

Love the show but honestly the last episode makes me want to stop watching altogether.

Slava
10-12-2012, 06:05 PM
I was avoiding this thread, but finally watched the finale. I was a little disappointed with the Swede killing Lily, mostly because it just made no sense. He just decided to kill her....just because? Seems so odd. I get that he had this ongoing rift with Cullen, but it still just seemed sort of random.

I still love the show though, and with her out of the picture, as well as Toole, Seemingly Durant, Joseph, the Reverend etc. there will be some new characters next season...assuming its renewed.

Locke
10-15-2012, 10:18 AM
I just finished watching the finale and I have to say, initially I wasnt too happy but as I thought about it, I really love it.

We are being given the original Cullen back. Dark, angry and vengeful. I'm looking forward to that.

The Swede will be back and a seriously pissed off Cullen will be waiting. Cant wait for season 3.

Stay Golden
10-15-2012, 02:47 PM
I was avoiding this thread, but finally watched the finale. I was a little disappointed with the Swede killing Lily, mostly because it just made no sense. He just decided to kill her....just because? Seems so odd. I get that he had this ongoing rift with Cullen, but it still just seemed sort of random.

I still love the show though, and with her out of the picture, as well as Toole, Seemingly Durant, Joseph, the Reverend etc. there will be some new characters next season...assuming its renewed.

I agree killing Lily was sort of out of the blue. I didn't think it was necessary for the story because Cullen already despises that friggin Swede, hopefully he is dead and didn't survive the fall.
I love this series though all the same.

DuffMan
10-15-2012, 03:08 PM
The Swede killed Lily because he hated Cullen so much, and he hated Cullen so much because he was captured in the civil war and not treated well, by Cullens team. He explained that 1 or 2 episodes ago. I liked the Swede and will miss him. Will miss Lily too, she was hot.

Slava
10-15-2012, 04:09 PM
I just finished watching the finale and I have to say, initially I wasnt too happy but as I thought about it, I really love it.

We are being given the original Cullen back. Dark, angry and vengeful. I'm looking forward to that.

The Swede will be back and a seriously pissed off Cullen will be waiting. Cant wait for season 3.

That is true, and I did enjoy the show more when it was that kind of show as opposed to the love story.

The Swede killed Lily because he hated Cullen so much, and he hated Cullen so much because he was captured in the civil war and not treated well, by Cullens team. He explained that 1 or 2 episodes ago. I liked the Swede and will miss him. Will miss Lily too, she was hot.

Ya, Lily was hot, so its a loss. I get why he killed her in the broader sense (like I say I know he hated/hates Cullen and all that). Its just that there was seemingly nothing leading up to him doing it. It wasn't telegraphed or foreshadowed that I can think of?

I liked the Swede better when he was in control though and just vindictive and spiteful. Such a great character at that point.

Pierre "Monster" McGuire
10-16-2012, 12:42 AM
Lily is a babe for sure. Will miss her on the show for more than her looks though. She was pretty bad ass for being an English, supposed high-society type woman.

I liked the Swede's character. He's maybe not the most believable character, but when you think about what he went through, it doesn't surprise me he's such a kook.

Locke
10-16-2012, 09:07 AM
That is true, and I did enjoy the show more when it was that kind of show as opposed to the love story.

Ya, Lily was hot, so its a loss. I get why he killed her in the broader sense (like I say I know he hated/hates Cullen and all that). Its just that there was seemingly nothing leading up to him doing it. It wasn't telegraphed or foreshadowed that I can think of?

I liked the Swede better when he was in control though and just vindictive and spiteful. Such a great character at that point.

I like it because the Swede is right, he and Cullen are very similar, theyve simply drawn different lines in the sand.

The Swede killed Lily to get to Cullen, mission accomplished. Now there will be two characters stopping at little short of all out war to destroy the other.

Stay Golden
10-16-2012, 09:39 AM
Watch the Swede have a pair of brothers that are committed to avenging his death that are just as twisted. :D For Cullen to deal with.

Table 5
10-25-2012, 11:00 AM
Watch the Swede have a pair of brothers that are committed to avenging his death that are just as twisted. :D For Cullen to deal with.

Ah yes, can't wait for the arrival of the Fin and the Latvian.

I just watched all 2 seasons in the last week. It's a real shame Lily Bell won't be making any more appearances on the show. She was...nice.

StevenAbootman
10-29-2012, 02:08 PM
Renewed for a 10 episode third season

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2012/10/29/hell-on-wheels-renewed-by-amc-for-season-3/155152/

Locke
10-29-2012, 02:13 PM
Renewed for a 10 episode third season

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2012/10/29/hell-on-wheels-renewed-by-amc-for-season-3/155152/

Well, they're keeping their wage costs down by killing off characters.

Table 5
10-29-2012, 02:29 PM
Excellent! Now I hope they just figure out a way to bring Lilly back to life.

Slava
10-29-2012, 02:35 PM
I'm glad to see its coming back. I hope they film around Calgary again.

Redliner
10-29-2012, 06:01 PM
Great news! I was a little worried that would be it, and I would hate to have the story end that way. The plot is a little uneven sometimes but I really like this show.

On a related note, does anyone know which company was handling the casting calls for extras, or do they just put an ad in the paper?

Azure
10-29-2012, 09:34 PM
Season 2 was incredibly boring to me. I actually skipped most of it just to see what happened in the end.

Joborule
11-04-2012, 12:46 AM
Finally got around to watching the season.

Lilly. :(

Sr. Mints
11-04-2012, 03:49 AM
Great news! I was a little worried that would be it, and I would hate to have the story end that way. The plot is a little uneven sometimes but I really like this show.

On a related note, does anyone know which company was handling the casting calls for extras, or do they just put an ad in the paper?

This is from May, but has some info you might find useful: <http://www.calgarysun.com/2012/05/19/hell-on-wheels-looking-for-a-few-good-scruffy-men>

Flames89
08-06-2013, 10:55 AM
Just finished Season 2. Thought it was great. While the writing and acting can be a bit uneven at times, I really enjoyed the show.
Glad it is back for Season 3, though worried about the new showrunner John Wirth.

Slava
08-10-2013, 12:53 PM
Thought I would bump this for the season premiere tonight. Two hours, should be interesting to see a bit of a new direction with a little more emphasis on building the railroad and a little less on the revenge plot.

jayswin
08-10-2013, 01:17 PM
What channel and time?

Joborule
08-10-2013, 06:00 PM
AMC at 7. (Currently last hour of marathon)

Radio
08-11-2013, 11:13 PM
Looks like they did a bit of filming in Calgary, Heritage Park, the Sandstone House...I know I've seen it...just can't remember where... The scene with the train heading off into the prairies, wasn't that the Stettler train?

Slava
08-12-2013, 07:25 AM
The sandstone house was the Lougheed house down on 13th ave. You could see a part of the Ranchman's Club in the background. That was on for my favorite parts actually; seeing places around town as the set.

Not sure if you realise, but they film largely around Okotoks and have built sets down there for hell on wheels and for the New York hotels and things like that.

I thought the premiere was really good. It was its usual sad, dark self with the race to build across the continent still ongoing.

Table 5
08-12-2013, 11:21 AM
Definitely a very solid season opener.

Still missing the fair-headed maiden of the west though. :whaa:

Slava
08-12-2013, 11:30 AM
Definitely a very solid season opener.

Still missing the fair-headed maiden of the west though. :whaa:

Ya and the reporter girl who will presumably take that role just doesn't hold a candle. The young mormon OTOH....

(she's 23 btw, so its not that creepy before anyone gets out of hand here!)

Stay Golden
08-12-2013, 12:54 PM
They introduce a new Rail Police Sheriff only to see him get gunned down, Lol.
The Mormon Father was slightly a coward. Next episode looks action packed. I like the new Saturday night time. Too many programs on Sunday night that we end up watching pvr shows on Mon Tues.
I liked the 2 hr opener for the most part except the entire winter opening scene with the Wolf and the frozen train. I thought it was silly but whatever.

MoneyGuy
08-12-2013, 01:28 PM
Slow, unrewarding start with the winter scene, but otherwise that was one fine episode last night.

Sr. Mints
08-15-2013, 07:57 AM
Gah! I'm so far behind!

Just saw season 2 on Netflix, though - I'll try and catch up on Sunday.

Hack&Lube
08-15-2013, 09:02 AM
I bumped into Colm Meaney at Club Monaco in the Core during one weekend back in April this year. He told me they had just started filming and to watch this show.

FlamesAllTheWay
09-15-2013, 09:39 PM
So anyone still watching this? Just caught up on the third season and have enjoyed it a fair bit.

I was surprised at how well they were able to keep at least some of the elements from previous seasons going, considering the uncertainty that the show would even continue on after season 2. Expected things to be more disjointed, or else the Alien 3 treatment (where the events from the previous films were renderered pretty much pointless).

Also like many of the new storylines they've managed to introduce in season 3.

Hope it survives the new Saturday timeslot and we get a season 4!

Azure
09-15-2013, 09:40 PM
Well I have to say. Season is amazing so far. So much better than season 2.

Hells Bells
09-15-2013, 10:46 PM
I'm enjoying season 3 but I cant stand the storyline surrounding the Swede.

It reminds me of Agent Van Alden from Boardwalk Empire.

Cuz
11-17-2013, 10:33 AM
Good news for Hell on Wheel fans, the show has been renewed for a season 4, with 13 episodes:
http://globalnews.ca/news/968477/alberta-shot-series-hell-on-wheels-renewed-for-4th-season/

getbak originally posted the news in the "I need a new TV show to get into" thread

Azure
11-17-2013, 01:08 PM
As it well should have been. Season 3 was great.

Pierre "Monster" McGuire
11-17-2013, 08:01 PM
Season 3 was wonderful. I still really really miss Lily Bell. Besides Cullen, she was my favourite character.

Plus, she was incredibly easy on the eyes.

Slava
07-31-2014, 12:26 PM
Thought that I would bump this because the season premier is Saturday. No word on whether local celebrity and donor to the CP hockey pools, WindomURL, is making another appearance!

getbak
08-10-2014, 11:41 AM
Has anyone else been watching the new season? I thought the first two episodes were really good.

I usually don't like when they re-cast roles on shows, but I think they did a good job with Bohannon's wife. The new one doesn't look like she's 12.

He did a very good job of getting the Swede to confess his crimes to the Mormons, then whistling "Dixie" as he rides out.

The only question now is how long are they going to make us wait for Elam's return? I can't imagine they would actually kill him off without some official confirmation.

Slava
08-11-2014, 08:56 AM
I've been watching and the series just gets better and better to me. I agree with you about Elam. I can't see that he is just presumed dead and the picture of him and bear is all the show/do. I would expect that it will be when Eva moves on that he returns to mess everything up!

csnarpy
08-11-2014, 09:44 PM
I met the main cast at a fundraiser during stampede. Great people all around, Colm is quite down to earth and Phil is absolutely the class clown.

Just starting season 2 now.

nixon45
08-12-2014, 10:13 AM
Just finished the second episode of season 4 last night. This show doesn't get the recognition it should, likely due to it being aired Saturday nights. Love it.

I had downloaded the first two episodes and was hoping to hold out till I had enough to marathon the season. Didn't have the resolve to make that happen haha.

I've been watching and the series just gets better and better to me. I agree with you about Elam. I can't see that he is just presumed dead and the picture of him and bear is all the show/do. I would expect that it will be when Eva moves on that he returns to mess everything up!

I have a feeling that the Native warrior that was yelling at Bohannon in the second episode will show back up when Elam does. I think the Natives will have found Elams half-dead body next to the bear corpse, and have great respect for him for killing the animal with only a knife. They will have then taken him to their camp and nursed him back to health. Maybe the warrior was trying to tell Cullen that last night.

Additionally I kind of hope the Mormons don't off the Swede.. that guy is all kinds of crazy and an awesome character.

"The Swede... was NORWEGIAN!!"

dobbles
08-13-2014, 01:37 PM
i have enjoyed the new season and am still wondering if/when/how elam will return. i am also excited that jake weber joined the cast as i still love him from dawn of the dead. though i still have never cared for the ruth character. in the first season or two with her father and brother it was fine but they haven't done anything with her so now i am annoyed when she shows up.

nixon45
08-13-2014, 04:08 PM
though i still have never cared for the ruth character.

I am with you on that.. why couldn't they just find a way to off her and not Lily. She was soo much hotter

Alberta_Beef
08-13-2014, 05:55 PM
I am seeing alot of promise after the first couple episodes.

Freeway
08-14-2014, 02:14 AM
I find the lady preacher quite attractive.

Alberta_Beef
08-14-2014, 09:52 AM
I find the lady preacher quite attractive.I do too, even more so than Lilly.

I hope she causes some drama between Bohanon and his new bride, it was clear she was falling in love with him before he disappeared. And I think the relationship/friendship between he and Bohanon is the straw that stirs the drink of Hell on Wheels.

Slava
08-14-2014, 10:06 AM
I have heard from friends that were extras on set that while Lily was hot, Robin McLeavy is the real gem there.

nixon45
08-14-2014, 01:49 PM
I have heard from friends that were extras on set that while Lily was hot, Robin McLeavy is the real gem there.

I believe it!

nixon45
08-20-2014, 02:24 PM
Robin McLeavy

Man I would love to teach her how to cheat at poker

Violator
08-20-2014, 06:07 PM
Season 3 was wonderful. I still really really miss Lily Bell. Besides Cullen, she was my favourite character.

Plus, she was incredibly easy on the eyes.

Very easy.

http://cbsmancave.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/dominique1.jpg?w=642

getbak
08-25-2014, 01:28 AM
Another good episode this week.

Bohannon's wife is another one who's easy on the eyes. I was looking her up and it turns out her brother won Canadian Idol. Remember that girly-looking kid from Medicine Hat, Kalan Porter? Bohannon's wife is his sister, MacKenzie Porter.

http://img005.lazygirls.info/people/mackenzie_porter/mackenzie_porter_mackenzie_porter_MA0XSWh.sized.jp g

Freeway
08-25-2014, 09:53 PM
Really strong season so far.

station
08-25-2014, 11:33 PM
Another good episode this week.

Bohannon's wife is another one who's easy on the eyes. I was looking her up and it turns out her brother won Canadian Idol. Remember that girly-looking kid from Medicine Hat, Kalan Porter? Bohannon's wife is his sister, MacKenzie Porter.

http://img005.lazygirls.info/people/mackenzie_porter/mackenzie_porter_mackenzie_porter_MA0XSWh.sized.jp g

She also a rising country star (3 hits on radio in last year). Very hard working, super talented and helluva nice girl.

Redliner
08-28-2014, 02:17 PM
The only question now is how long are they going to make us wait for Elam's return? I can't imagine they would actually kill him off without some official confirmation.

I thought this as well at the end of last season, as it seemed highly unlikely that they would kill off the second principal character so abruptly, but then when I watched the season 4 premiere and Common's name was not in the opening credits it made me wonder. Turns out we are correct - Elam will be back at some point:

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/06/27/hell-on-wheels-season-4-elam/

In the season three finale of AMC’s Hell on Wheels, Elam (Common) went searching for kidnapped Cullen (Anson Mount) and stumbled upon a bear instead. Out of bullets, he was last seen losing that battle (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRs7XjOECAo). Considering Common’s not in the first official cast photo released for season four (click here for the full version (http://img2.timeinc.net/ew/i/2014/06/23/hell-on-wheels-01_2000x710.jpg)), fans might worry he’s off the show for good. Those who caught him photographed at the cast and crew’s season 4 kickoff dinner (https://twitter.com/WirthwhileTV/status/460268796867919875), though, may assume Elam’s back. Exec producer John Wirth confirms it: “He survives the bear attack, but I think you will be surprised to see the manner in which he survives,” he tells EW. “The circumstances of his survival are unique.”

Can't wait to see how they do it. IMO this show is AMC's hidden gem.

getbak
08-28-2014, 02:21 PM
Based on the upcoming episode descriptions on my cable box, it looks like it will be the episode that airs on September 6 where we find out what happened with Elam.

Following an attack by a bear, Elam struggles to survive in a Comanche village and find his way back to Cheyenne.

nixon45
08-28-2014, 02:36 PM
Here is how I see Elam returning..

Natives nurse him back to health but have to remove the lower half of his disfigured body. Mad scientist puts him in a steam powered wheelchair... Elam leads the railroad alongside Bohannan up and over the mountain range.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v466/nixon45/elambot_zps1eac3e63.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/nixon45/media/elambot_zps1eac3e63.jpg.html)

Slava
08-29-2014, 09:00 AM
I follow He'll on Wheels on Twitter and they haven't really hidden the idea that Elam is coming back. They were using the hash tag #Elamsearchparty a week or two ago. I think we all knew that he was alive, but I thought it was a little silly for the show to basically confirm it a couple weeks early with that.

To Be Quite Honest
08-31-2014, 08:26 PM
I follow He'll on Wheels on Twitter and they haven't really hidden the idea that Elam is coming back. They were using the hash tag #Elamsearchparty a week or two ago. I think we all knew that he was alive, but I thought it was a little silly for the show to basically confirm it a couple weeks early with that.

Not when his wifey is getting all cozy with Mr. Durant...

Locke
09-03-2014, 08:42 AM

I just finally got caught up this weekend and there was a spoiler at the end of the last episode regarding Elam. I have to say, as much as I like Elam this whole 'resurrection' bit seems incredibly ham-fisted. I am not looking forward to it.

Not really spoilers if you're caught up, but I thought I'd be courteous. I was 4 episodes behind so I had to abandon this thread for a bit.

The show tends to lose me a bit with prolonged scenes with natives. They're not really developed almost to the point of caricature and I think they're best left as a shadowy threat.

Its been a really strong season thus far, I was hoping for some more badassery from Cullen, especially after the beating he took, I was hoping he'd kill the Marshals who did it as well as Sidney Snow after the shootout, but it shows the married and mellowed Cullen.

But I hope its just allowing Cullen's rage to collect and he starts tearing faces off soon.

Mickey is taking up the crazy rage though. Thats been fun.

greyshep
09-08-2014, 12:28 PM
Well Elam is back I guess. That was certainly not one of my favorite episodes. I agree with you Locke, the prolonged scenes with the natives dont seem to work well to me.

Hopefully the writers can get back on track again soon.

Slava
09-08-2014, 12:33 PM
I think that part of the problem with those scenes is that I have no idea whats going on. Obviously, he was recovering and that woman was taking care of him, and that's great. But the conflict with the other natives and things like that were kind of "meh". I also thought it was odd that he just kills a couple guys and takes a few women and a horse and just rides away. I don't know...maybe I missed something, but no one really cared that he did that?

To Be Quite Honest
09-08-2014, 03:22 PM
I think that part of the problem with those scenes is that I have no idea whats going on. Obviously, he was recovering and that woman was taking care of him, and that's great. But the conflict with the other natives and things like that were kind of "meh". I also thought it was odd that he just kills a couple guys and takes a few women and a horse and just rides away. I don't know...maybe I missed something, but no one really cared that he did that?

To the tribe, he killed a bear and because of the special powers from that he can't die in battle. So, whose going to stop him? Also, and I could be wrong, those woman were claimed by the Brave that Elam killed so they became his responsibility.

Redliner
09-09-2014, 10:10 PM
Love Hell on Wheels. Hated that episode. Seriously, probably the worst one of the whole series. It was just disjointed and mostly uninteresting. Hopefully things take a turn for the better next week - at least there will be more than a dozen lines of dialogue.

Freeway
09-10-2014, 07:35 PM
No Ruth = no buys.

Locke
09-10-2014, 09:08 PM
Love Hell on Wheels. Hated that episode. Seriously, probably the worst one of the whole series. It was just disjointed and mostly uninteresting. Hopefully things take a turn for the better next week - at least there will be more than a dozen lines of dialogue.

No argument there. Elam and Natives just werent strong enough to carry a whole episode especially when you know that the natives are going to get dropped immediately and as such get zero character development.

Hessen
09-12-2014, 12:29 PM
After watching the episode and then the preview for this week I wonder if they aren't moving to kill Elam off. I don't see him coming back from the crazy place he's in after the bearclaw lobotomy...

Locke
09-12-2014, 12:34 PM
After watching the episode and then the preview for this week I wonder if they aren't moving to kill Elam off. I don't see him coming back from the crazy place he's in after the bearclaw lobotomy...

I hope so. Honestly, that episode was terrible, episodes like that are what get marginal shows canceled and I like Hell on Wheels and want it to keep going.

But the preview for the next episode doesnt give me much hope.

'Crazy Elam?' Are they serious?

I really liked Elam's character and thought it was a great supporting role and now it just feels like its completely jumped the shark and I really dont understand why. If they're going to kill him off they should have just let the bear kill him, we all just shrug our shoulders call it cheesy and accept it.

This is just crazy.

Slava
09-12-2014, 05:05 PM
I hope to be wrong, but maybe this is a "love saves the day" kind of thing and Eva jogs his memory before he gets himself killed? That was one of the problems with the last episode though; he was just back on the series and then they rode against the blue jackets, so you knew he was going to be fine there.

Regardless though, I really like Campbell and that character. Just such a great addition and the way they've written him is awesome. I still think the show will be awesome again, but this particular storyline (with crazy Elam)just has to die out one way or another.

nixon45
09-13-2014, 10:59 AM
Regardless though, I really like Campbell and that character. Just such a great addition and the way they've written him is awesome.

I really hate that guy... Which means both actor and writers have done a great job with the character

Yamer
09-14-2014, 04:22 PM
Well, that hit a lot harder than I expected it to. And, like it or not, the moment really needed the previous episode to tie it all together and make the intended impact.

Solid episode.

nixon45
09-14-2014, 08:23 PM
Just watched the episode
I am glad that Elam's death came at the hands of Cullen and not Campbell and his crew. I don't really understand why he needed to shoot him though, looked like Cullen had him under control after stabbing him... Unless he already knew it was a fatal wound and wanted to end the suffering.

Elam was one of my favourite characters but I found myself rolling my eyes at so many of his antics throughout the last two episodes. Has there ever been a faker beard on television? Looked like the rail crew all shaved their pubes and glued them on to Elam's face while he slept!

Like another poster had said previously, why have Elam survive the bear attack just to have him go crazy for two episodes and then have Bohannan put some led through his chest. Strange writing in my opinion and I am really not sure where this series will go following this. Elam was a strong character before the bear attack, and that character I will miss.

Edit: I just now read that Common had asked to leave the show to focus on his music..makes things a little more clear

Good to see Durant crack some skulls...literally

Pretty good episode overall

Slava
09-14-2014, 08:28 PM
I thought it was a great episode as well. The writers just have a way of making these drastic changes and yet keeping the overall show rolling along. It's really well done and while I didn't particularly love the prior episode, this one was worth the wait.

Freeway
09-15-2014, 01:48 AM
I kinda like how Cullen's character arc was that he won't kill anybody anymore and has way too much blood on his hands.

Locke
09-26-2014, 01:18 PM
Wow! I'm surprised at the lack of discussion over last week's episode! I just managed to watch it last night to get caught up.

One of the best episodes thus far!

I'm stoked! Cullen finally offloads the whiny wife and picks up the gun again, things are going to get bloody in Cheyenne and its going to be awesome!

Even Cullen's wife wanted him to kill Sydney Snow and now hes going to, but probably not before mowing through the entire 'police force.'

Sweet! This is what I was looking forward to!

Locke
09-26-2014, 02:34 PM
I kinda like how Cullen's character arc was that he won't kill anybody anymore and has way too much blood on his hands.

Yeah....about that...

greyshep
09-26-2014, 03:56 PM
Wow! I'm surprised at the lack of discussion over last week's episode! I just managed to watch it last night to get caught up.

One of the best episodes thus far!

I'm stoked! Cullen finally offloads the whiny wife and picks up the gun again, things are going to get bloody in Cheyenne and its going to be awesome!

Even Cullen's wife wanted him to kill Sydney Snow and now hes going to, but probably not before mowing through the entire 'police force.'

Sweet! This is what I was looking forward to!

Well last weeks episode was a nice change from the previous two IMO. Feels like they burned up two episodes with the Elam story. I could have done without that myself.

Glad to see it get back onto its previous momentum with the new law in town vs. Bohannon/Durant/McGuinnes, etc.

Looking forward to some shoot em up action coming up.

Locke
09-27-2014, 10:12 AM
Well last weeks episode was a nice change from the previous two IMO. Feels like they burned up two episodes with the Elam story. I could have done without that myself.

Glad to see it get back onto its previous momentum with the new law in town vs. Bohannon/Durant/McGuinnes, etc.

Looking forward to some shoot em up action coming up.

I agree, I dont know why they did that. I get that they had to write Common out, but there had to have been easier ways.

Yamer
09-27-2014, 12:19 PM
I took those two episodes as not only writing a character out, but also as furthering a couple of vital characters and setting more of a tone for how this season is shaping up. Cullen's resolve was shattered, as long with his perceived integrity among the black railway crew. It enhanced Eva's sense of loss (in more ways than just that of Elam). It created a clear idea of how Cheyenne has grown from a camp into a town and now evolved into a community on the brink of civilization's imposition on their established way of life.

To me, everything means just a little more following those two episodes.

Locke
09-27-2014, 01:15 PM
I took those two episodes as not only writing a character out, but also as furthering a couple of vital characters and setting more of a tone for how this season is shaping up. Cullen's resolve was shattered, as long with his perceived integrity among the black railway crew. It enhanced Eva's sense of loss (in more ways than just that of Elam). It created a clear idea of how Cheyenne has grown from a camp into a town and now evolved into a community on the brink of civilization's imposition on their established way of life.

To me, everything means just a little more following those two episodes.

Thats a very good point, but unfortunately those were two very slow and uninteresting episodes to me and that always concerns me because I still feel that this show is existing on a knife's edge of being canceled.

Yamer
09-27-2014, 02:30 PM
Thats a very good point, but unfortunately those were two very slow and uninteresting episodes to me and that always concerns me because I still feel that this show is existing on a knife's edge of being canceled.

I had trouble getting through the Elam-centric episode and I don't mind admitting it. The following episode helped make some of the odd behaviour explainable while also having an emotional effect that I wasn't expecting to experience. And now, with the 'law' is encroaching on the town, I feel more involved in the community that has become Cheyenne.

Totally agree with the worry over cancellation. The show doesn't get enough credit as it is, and if they risk driving too many of their viewers away then it could see the axe before its time.

Freeway
09-29-2014, 01:31 AM
More Ruth, please.

Slava
09-29-2014, 09:22 AM

I had trouble getting through the Elam-centric episode and I don't mind admitting it. The following episode helped make some of the odd behaviour explainable while also having an emotional effect that I wasn't expecting to experience. And now, with the 'law' is encroaching on the town, I feel more involved in the community that has become Cheyenne.

Totally agree with the worry over cancellation. The show doesn't get enough credit as it is, and if they risk driving too many of their viewers away then it could see the axe before its time.

I thought that the ratings were actually good for the show given its time slot and things like that? I hope its not on the verge of cancellation anyway, and hopefully that's not just wishful thinking on my part.

I thought that this last episode was a great one and I'm looking forward to next week.

Locke
10-07-2014, 09:55 AM
Another very strong episode, I'm really liking the way they're building up Cullen's rage and I'm looking forward to seeing what happens now.

Slava
10-07-2014, 07:12 PM
While they are building up his rage they are also removing all of the reasons for him to be careful and not kill people. So now his wife and kid are safe and sound at the mormon fort. Ezra is out of the picture and he's basically a lone wolf again. I suck at predicting what comes next, but I would say its a great storyline and I'm really interested to see where it goes for the remainder of this season.

Locke
10-08-2014, 09:02 AM
While they are building up his rage they are also removing all of the reasons for him to be careful and not kill people. So now his wife and kid are safe and sound at the mormon fort. Ezra is out of the picture and he's basically a lone wolf again. I suck at predicting what comes next, but I would say its a great storyline and I'm really interested to see where it goes for the remainder of this season.

Exactly, hes got nothing to lose and I'm guessing that the Swede is going to push him over the edge at some point.

Locke
11-10-2014, 12:43 PM
Another very, very strong episode. Finally its back!

getbak
11-10-2014, 01:44 PM
It was also announced last week that the show has been renewed for one final season. Like AMC loves to do, though, the "final season" will be split in two and aired over the next two years. With 7 episodes airing in 2015 and 7 in 2016.

Locke
11-10-2014, 01:48 PM
It was also announced last week that the show has been renewed for one final season. Like AMC loves to do, though, the "final season" will be split in two and aired over the next two years. With 7 episodes airing in 2015 and 7 in 2016.

Weeeeeeak! I hate that.

greyshep
11-10-2014, 03:51 PM
Well I am glad its renewed, but I wish it was for 2 full seasons rather than spacing it out like that.

Speaking of spacing things out I am still wondering what the point was of the most recent break between episodes. Enjoyed the most recent one but it felt strange to have the big gap there.

Yamer
11-10-2014, 07:12 PM
Well I am glad its renewed, but I wish it was for 2 full seasons rather than spacing it out like that.

Speaking of spacing things out I am still wondering what the point was of the most recent break between episodes. Enjoyed the most recent one but it felt strange to have the big gap there.

Especially to come back with only 3 episodes.

-TC-
11-10-2014, 07:35 PM
But what a comeback...

Freeway
11-16-2014, 10:46 AM
My goodness what an episode this week.

FlamesAllTheWay
11-16-2014, 04:47 PM
As someone who went from watching the show religiously for the first two seasons to completely missing season 4 so far, is it worth coming back to?

I feel like after season 2 it really lost its direction. I had heard it was supposed to be cancelled but then was brought back for season 3 so I gave it a chance. Was somewhat impressed to start but by the finale I had completely lost interest. Most characters and plot lines just seemed pretty "meh" at that point, especially when compared to when the show first started.

However, I still creep this thread to see how things were going and many seemed impressed. So I'm open to giving it another shot!

Slava
11-17-2014, 09:28 PM
I think its a great show. I just find myself on the edge of my seat watching, and this weeks main scene was no different. I am somewhat claustrophobic, so some of it was a little unnerving....which I guess it was supposed to be! Overall, great season and I'm sure this season finale will be ridiculous, as usual.

To Be Quite Honest
11-17-2014, 09:47 PM
It reminded me about Florence Lassandro (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florence_Lassandro) who has an infamous footnote in history. I wonder if they got this idea from the Southern Alberta history books.

I love this show and I'm sad that the a) Final season will be split up into two years. b) It's the final season.

Joborule
11-17-2014, 11:42 PM
I think its a great show. I just find myself on the edge of my seat watching, and this weeks main scene was no different. I am somewhat claustrophobic, so some of it was a little unnerving....which I guess it was supposed to be! Overall, great season and I'm sure this season finale will be ridiculous, as usual.

I thought it was extremely neat how they did that scene. Really gets you immersed.

The final third of this season has been extremely strong. I'm also a bit disappointed that there's only going to be one more season since I think it could be stretch out to two instead, but perhaps they can make each half of the season packed with content like Broadwalk Empire did with it's final eight episodes.

greyshep
11-18-2014, 10:17 AM
I thought it was an ok episode. They certainly have a penchant for killing off main characters though.

I liked the pov they used at the end for Ruth as well.

I still struggle with buying that they would hang a church lady who shot a known killer and dirt bag. Seems like Ruth used the whole thing as a means to assisted suicide. She had pretty much zero will to live.

Slava
11-24-2014, 07:13 AM
Season finale was a little bit of a letdown to me. Not entirely surprising given the run up and the fact that you can't have that kind of thing every week. Just setting things up for next year I guess.

greyshep
11-26-2014, 04:07 PM
Season finale was a little bit of a letdown to me. Not entirely surprising given the run up and the fact that you can't have that kind of thing every week. Just setting things up for next year I guess.

Agree. Seemed like a pretty weak episode overall.

Maybe this was inevitable based on the emotion of the previous few episodes.

Am I the only one who was confused how Fort Smith looked like it was raided including a guy in the throes of death with an arrow or spike in his neck. Yet the show then switched gears and said it was hit with smallpox. huh??

Barnes
11-26-2014, 06:19 PM
Agree. Seemed like a pretty weak episode overall.

Maybe this was inevitable based on the emotion of the previous few episodes.

Am I the only one who was confused how Fort Smith looked like it was raided including a guy in the throes of death with an arrow or spike in his neck. Yet the show then switched gears and said it was hit with smallpox. huh??

I would imagine the fort was mostly abandoned but a few people stayed behind and they took the opportunity to raid. It was really confusing though.

Locke
07-18-2015, 03:43 PM
Heads up, new Episode on tonight!

Slava
07-20-2015, 09:59 AM
A good start to the season with the usual cliffhanger at the end of the episode. This show just always seems to deliver. I'm not sure how it isn't more popular.

Hessen
07-20-2015, 10:15 AM
A good start to the last season with looks at the new major players.

dobbles
07-29-2015, 03:23 PM
I have enjoyed these first couple of episodes but lament the fact that we no longer see characters like Durant, Eva, Mickey, etc. And perhaps they will be back, I just don't know how much I like the change of scenery.

But overall, after season 4 being somewhat of a letdown, I am liking season 5 so far.

Slava
08-31-2015, 10:00 AM
I thought that I would bump this as the season finale was this weekend, and it didn't disappoint. Shaping up for a great final season and some story lines to be tied off. Looking back I have to say that I don't like the direction they took with the Swede though. He started off as a fantastic character and villain, but now I just find it sort of trite and silly. How could Cullen not just kill him already? He has killed others for much less and it just gets sort of dumb.

Anyway, still love the show and am looking forward to the finale next year.

Locke
06-06-2016, 04:43 PM
Friendly bump, the end of the series starts this weekend.

I'm reviewing the past few episodes this week.

heep223
06-07-2016, 02:23 PM
Friendly bump, the end of the series starts this weekend.

I'm reviewing the past few episodes this week.

Was wondering about this show. When you say the end of the series do you mean the final season?

habernac
06-07-2016, 02:23 PM
Yep, this is it.

Redliner
06-07-2016, 04:46 PM
Looking forward to the "final" season but I'm a little worried that it will be super rushed. There are so many story elements still unresolved (the Durant/Bohannon conflict, the Swede/Bohannon conflict, Bohannon's wife & kid's whereabouts, the pending Mormon uprising, the Chinese girl, etc, etc) that it seems like it will be tough to tie everything up in 6 episodes. It's too bad they didn't split this out into two full seasons because there is definitely enough material....just maybe not enough money or desire I guess.
I'll be sad to see the show end. I've watched it from the very first episode and although it's been a little uneven at times I've thoroughly enjoyed it.

Locke
06-07-2016, 05:29 PM
Looking forward to the "final" season but I'm a little worried that it will be super rushed. There are so many story elements still unresolved (the Durant/Bohannon conflict, the Swede/Bohannon conflict, Bohannon's wife & kid's whereabouts, the pending Mormon uprising, the Chinese girl, etc, etc) that it seems like it will be tough to tie everything up in 6 episodes. It's too bad they didn't split this out into two full seasons because there is definitely enough material....just maybe not enough money or desire I guess.
I'll be sad to see the show end. I've watched it from the very first episode and although it's been a little uneven at times I've thoroughly enjoyed it.

I've enjoyed it a lot too, but I'm under the understanding that this season was the coup de grace/victory lap, I think AMC wanted to end it last season.

Its been a really good show.

KTrain
06-07-2016, 05:31 PM
Between this and Fargo, we've been really spoiled with quality productions being filmed in Calgary.

I'm looking forward to it being wrapped up. I wish it had a full season so they could do it on their terms but they're getting more than a lot of series do.

Locke
06-07-2016, 05:32 PM
Between this and Fargo, we've been really spoiled with quality productions being filmed in Calgary.

I'm looking forward to it being wrapped up. I wish it had a full season so they could do it on their terms but they're getting more than a lot of series do.

Not to mention The Revenant. There are days when I think beautiful Alberta scenery is more responsible for Leo's Oscar than anything he did.

Slava
06-11-2016, 09:35 PM
Good episode to kick off the final season.

habernac
06-13-2016, 07:02 AM
at least we finally found out why the Swede hated Bohanon.

btimbit
06-15-2016, 08:28 PM
Almost done season 4, if I time it right I can catch up just in time to binge the last season.

Locke
07-11-2016, 02:38 AM
Wow....Cullen channelling his inner John Wick...:w00t:

habernac
07-11-2016, 10:02 AM
Knew it was going to go down like that. Only 2 episodes left, bummed that they're fast tracking the ending.

Locke
07-11-2016, 01:51 PM
Knew it was going to go down like that. Only 2 episodes left, bummed that they're fast tracking the ending.

Ditto, but I get it. I just want them to end it well.

Slava
07-14-2016, 02:22 PM
Well just two more episodes so any one want to predict what happens? I think that obviously the railroad gets completed, and I will say that Cullen gets killed in a cliffhanger kind of ending. I have nothing to base this on really, aside from he has made a lot of enemies and it doesn't seem like the kind of show where he just finishes the railroad and rides off into the sunset.

Yamer
07-14-2016, 03:52 PM
It's pretty clear that Cullen is never meant to find peace or happiness. I expect as much from the finale.

Azure
07-14-2016, 07:15 PM
Meh. Show died off.

To Be Quite Honest
07-17-2016, 09:16 AM
Meh. Show died off.

Don't you mean, "This show fell off the rails".

habernac
07-19-2016, 02:56 PM
Well just two more episodes so any one want to predict what happens? I think that obviously the railroad gets completed, and I will say that Cullen gets killed in a cliffhanger kind of ending. I have nothing to base this on really, aside from he has made a lot of enemies and it doesn't seem like the kind of show where he just finishes the railroad and rides off into the sunset.

Hoping we see him on a boat to China or something like that, because I am a sap.

Sr. Mints
07-22-2016, 09:12 PM
I thought last week's episode was the finale, so when it ended with Bohannon laying on the floor in his rail car in pain, then fade to black, I yelled, "WHAT IN THE #### IS THIS ####?!" at my TV.

This season is so . . . bleh, especially after the fourth season which was fantastic. It's tough to care about characters who are introduced at the 11th hour, and a huge chunk of this season revolved around such characters.

getbak
07-23-2016, 10:02 AM
Thank you letter to Calgary & Southern Alberta from Anson Mount: http://calgaryherald.com/entertainment/television/dear-calgary-actor-anson-mount-says-thank-you-to-his-adopted-home-during-production-of-hell-on-wheels

I suspect that Eva will be the only major character with a happy ending. She'll break her horse and ride off into the sunset.

Slava
07-23-2016, 09:39 PM
Hoping we see him on a boat to China or something like that, because I am a sap.

Thank you letter to Calgary & Southern Alberta from Anson Mount: http://calgaryherald.com/entertainment/television/dear-calgary-actor-anson-mount-says-thank-you-to-his-adopted-home-during-production-of-hell-on-wheels

I suspect that Eva will be the only major character with a happy ending. She'll break her horse and ride off into the sunset.

Decided I would spoiler this, although I doubt anyone is reading the thread now if they haven't watched yet...

Pretty good ending to the series I thought. The original church scene that started the whole series was one of my favorite ever, so to have Cullen go back was pretty good writing.

And you guys nailed it/got your wish! The boat to China was a little obvious once he got the address decoded, but the episode tied everything together quite well I think.

dobbles
07-24-2016, 11:17 PM
One less show to have on the DVR list. It had its ups and downs for sure. I wasn't especially into the finale with the Custer character and all the D.C. stuff. Means to an end I guess.

Locke
07-25-2016, 12:40 PM
Honestly, I loved this show, I thought it was great, sure it had its ups and downs as all show do, but, unfortunately I think a lot of that stems from AMC's lack of willingness to really invest in it.

In fairness, it was a Western, not the most popular genre, but it really grabbed me and I was invested in this show. Hell I ran into Anson Mount twice and even bumped into Common at Eau Clair.

I enjoyed it, it had something of an ignominious end but that happens when shows are prematurely ended. I did enjoy the ending though.

Locke
07-25-2016, 12:59 PM

Whoa, wait, what? :blink:

To be sure, Alberta offers something unique in the world of film production. But that does not mean that such individuality trumps the bottom line in any industry. The new TV Series cap limit on Alberta Media Fund’s production grant is threatening to severely limit, if not outright halt, the potential boon that your local industry has been working toward for so long. At its current level, it is only competitive in attracting lower mid-level film budgets and below. Add to this the inexplicable continuation of the previous administration’s non-bifurcation policies — disallowing television series to participate in Alberta film funds for multiple seasons — and the likelihood of Calgary attracting new series is almost nil.

I've never heard of this, anyone know anything more about this?