troutman
04-14-2011, 01:04 PM
http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=51749&highlight=hobbit

Locke
04-14-2011, 01:07 PM
Sweeeeet......

Yeah_Baby
04-14-2011, 01:08 PM
The score bring warms feelings to my heart.

VANFLAMESFAN
04-14-2011, 01:11 PM
I might be the only guy on CP that hates this stuff. Bunch of losers here!!

Yeah_Baby
04-14-2011, 01:23 PM

Just go watch Transformers 2 and worship your shrine of Michael Bay

Bigtime
04-14-2011, 01:39 PM
Someone show George Lucas that video:

"You see that George, those are actual SETS! Not a giant room covered in blue and green walls with some blue and green boxes to simulate what you will put in with a computer after. HONEST TO GOD REAL SETS!"

drewboy12
04-14-2011, 01:40 PM
3 more years.... cant wait

Ozy_Flame
04-14-2011, 01:43 PM
Oh god I miss New Zealand.

Mass_nerder
04-14-2011, 01:56 PM
I'm stoked.
I just re-read the hobbit a few months ago (lord of the rings as well).
I've been trying to find other stuff I can read that's similar.
I tried the Silmarillion, but I can't get into it. Maybe I'll give it another go.

3 Justin 3
04-14-2011, 02:32 PM
So excited. Sucks that it is still 2-3 years away (I think Pt.1 is 2013 and Pt.2 is 2014 for theatrical releases).

Sr. Mints
04-14-2011, 02:34 PM
Yesss!

Joborule
04-14-2011, 03:02 PM
Here we go!

Locke
04-14-2011, 03:08 PM
Is that Peter Jackson? Holy crap! Did he give birth or something? The guy is tiny!

FlamesAddiction
04-14-2011, 03:16 PM

I wouldn't say I hate it, but I never really could get into it. I tried watching the 1st movie a few times and fell asleep every single time.

I think the "making of it" parts on the DVD will probably be interesting though.

VANFLAMESFAN
04-14-2011, 03:23 PM
Just go watch Transformers 2 and worship your shrine of Michael Bay

Jesus, just never gonna give that up huh??

VANFLAMESFAN
04-14-2011, 03:26 PM
I wouldn't say I hate it, but I never really could get into it. I tried watching the 1st movie a few times and fell asleep every single time.

I think the "making of it" parts on the DVD will probably be interesting though.

I watched all 3 in the theatre to see what the fuss was about, but could never get on board. Found them boring as hell.

I'm with Randall on this one. NSFW

b0sc-gS9AqM

sixpacked
04-14-2011, 03:31 PM

Well you posted in a thread, knowing full well what it is about, with one intention. I think there is a name for that. And you're not expecting flak???:confused:

VANFLAMESFAN
04-14-2011, 03:35 PM
Well you posted in a thread, knowing full well what it is about, with one intention. I think there is a name for that. And you're not expecting flak???:confused:

What was my intention exactly?? All I said was that I didn't like the movies. I have to like the movies to post in this thread??

Okay, so no one can post in any Canuck related threads if you don't like them. Makes sense to me!

My little jab about CP being full of losers was clearly just a joke.

I was actually curious to see if anyone was on board with me in not liking these uber popular movies that everyone seems to like and cream over on the board.

Not to mention, my reply was to Yeah_Baby and his silly obsession about keeping my supposed Michael Bay hard on reputation alive. About 90 percent of his responses to any of my posts are Michael Bay or Transformers related. He just won't let it go.

Yeah_Baby
04-14-2011, 03:37 PM

Never give up, never surrender.

TurnedTheCorner
04-14-2011, 03:37 PM
I watched all 3 in the theatre to see what the fuss was about, but could never get on board. Found them boring as hell.

I'm with Randall on this one. NSFW

b0sc-gS9AqM

I enjoyed them, but Clerks 2 is money.

Flashpoint
04-14-2011, 03:50 PM
Wonderful wonderful news. I'll never watch another production video because I don't want it to spoil the surprise.

When the last movies came out and they had previews, I would literally cover my ears, and hum with my eyes closed to avoid learning anything.

I'm a huge nerd. And totally fine with it. Those movies were AWESOME.

Locke
04-14-2011, 03:57 PM

I thought he was kidding, he threw the 'nerds' bit in for good measure.

I would have said something like: 'Theres Portuguese soccer teams playing, go watch that!';)

Beerfest
04-14-2011, 04:07 PM

First off, this thread is not for Saw haters. If you don't like the franchise, that's cool. It's not for everyone. No need for "I hate Saw" or "Why are they still making these movies" kind of posts.

:whistle:

Stoked for this to come out!

VANFLAMESFAN
04-14-2011, 04:15 PM
:whistle:

Stoked for this to come out!

haha, I'll take Saw over LOTR anyday.

troutman
04-14-2011, 04:15 PM
MMA is gay.

Beerfest
04-14-2011, 04:17 PM
haha, I'll take Saw over LOTR anyday.

Fair enough, just giving you a hard time. :D

GreenLantern
04-14-2011, 04:38 PM
Tell us how you really feel man..

Pumped up for this movie, been a long time coming.

Saint Troy
04-14-2011, 05:32 PM
Peter Jackson is a pretty cool dude.

Mike F
04-14-2011, 05:46 PM
nyoWmkhRyp8

afc wimbledon
04-14-2011, 06:10 PM
I'm stoked.
I just re-read the hobbit a few months ago (lord of the rings as well).
I've been trying to find other stuff I can read that's similar.
I tried the Silmarillion, but I can't get into it. Maybe I'll give it another go.

If LOTR is anything to go by the chances of the Hobbit beng similar to the book are slim to none.

nik-
04-14-2011, 07:09 PM
If LOTR is anything to go by the chances of the Hobbit beng similar to the book are slim to none.

Yeah ... they should have left in all the singing in the books.

afc wimbledon
04-14-2011, 07:50 PM
Yeah ... they should have left in all the singing in the books.

That will be in the musical, opening on broadway soon enough.

Hated LOTR though, completely missed the point of the book, that heros are irrelevant, it is the quite determination of the ordinary man to do the right thing no matter what the cost that matters.

Mike F
04-14-2011, 09:36 PM

Hated LOTR though, completely missed the point of the book, that heros are irrelevant, it is the quite determination of the ordinary man and his gay manservant to do the right thing no matter what the cost that matters.
fyp

Yeah_Baby
04-14-2011, 10:34 PM
fyp

:boom:

GreenLantern
04-14-2011, 10:51 PM

Hated LOTR though, completely missed the point of the book, that heros are irrelevant, it is the quite determination of the ordinary man to do the right thing no matter what the cost that matters.

http://www.sadanduseless.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/hip1.jpg

MrMastodonFarm
04-14-2011, 10:54 PM

Lord of the Rings (the movies) are awesome, zip it chowder head.

afc wimbledon
04-15-2011, 12:47 AM
http://www.sadanduseless.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/hip1.jpg

5 pish, at least 10

IgnitedSoul
05-29-2011, 11:13 PM
file:///Users/Eleni/Library/Caches/TemporaryItems/moz-screenshot.pngPeter Jackson just posted this awesome new picture, thought it'd be fun to share.

http://www.thehobbitblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/whitecouncil.jpg

MrMastodonFarm
05-30-2011, 07:55 PM
http://www.imdb.com/news/ni11181256/

Warner Bros. and New Line Cinema put much speculation to rest today by officially naming and dating each installment of Peter Jackson's upcoming big screen adaptation of "The Hobbit." The first installment has been christened "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" and will hit theaters on Dec. 14, 2012. The second film shall be known as "The Hobbit: There and Back Again" and will debut on Dec. 13, 2013

Berger_4_
05-30-2011, 09:21 PM
Awe man, we're only going to get to watch the first one!

Bigtime
05-31-2011, 08:39 AM
I finally got around to reading the book for the first time ever. I had read Lord of the Rings back in high school.

I enjoyed the book, but I am very curious to see how Jackson treats the film versus the novel. The novel is much more lighthearted and child like than the LOTR films.

Will he keep The Hobbit films in line with the theme he set in the LOTR trilogy? Or will he pursue a slightly lighter film, more in line with The Fellowship of the Ring versus the 2 sequels?

Sr. Mints
05-31-2011, 11:29 AM
(....)

Will he keep The Hobbit films in line with the theme he set in the LOTR trilogy? Or will he pursue a slightly lighter film, more in line with The Fellowship of the Ring versus the 2 sequels?

Fellowship was by far the best of the three, partially because if was lighter and more self contained. I hope he goes in that direction

What worries me, and apologies if I've said this a million times, is that Jackson is going to #### every thing up by spreading this project across two movies. Like butter scraped over too much bread. I have never seen this done correctly in Hollywood.

fundmark19
05-31-2011, 11:43 AM
I am excited I hope he pulls this off!

ernie
05-31-2011, 11:48 AM
Fellowship was by far the best of the three, partially because if was lighter and more self contained. I hope he goes in that direction

What worries me, and apologies if I've said this a million times, is that Jackson is going to #### every thing up by spreading this project across two movies. Like butter scraped over too much bread. I have never seen this done correctly in Hollywood.

It was pretty effective for Kill Bill but that worked because the two movies were of completely different style that somehow made sense together.

Komskies
05-31-2011, 11:55 AM

Nice Bilbo reference there bro.

JustAnotherGuy
05-31-2011, 12:01 PM
When I read a book and then see the movie I think of them as close but different stories. It makes both much more enjoyable. I hope he makes the movie much more detailed than the book. The book was interesting but it would be a little dull to fill two movies. I really enjoyed LOTR the movies.

Komskies
05-31-2011, 12:04 PM
Classic example of a Novel and it's film adaptation being somewhat different, but both totally amazing in their own right:

Jurassic Park

Bigtime
05-31-2011, 01:32 PM
I know they are covering some ground that was mentioned in the book and never shown: like the White Council and Gandalf and Co. taking care of business down in Dol Guldur.

octothorp
05-31-2011, 02:16 PM
I know they are covering some ground that was mentioned in the book and never shown: like the White Council and Gandalf and Co. taking care of business down in Dol Guldur.

The cast list also contains Thrain (presumably Thrain II, Thorin's father). It would make sense if the scope of the movies goes back to Gandalf infiltrating Dol Guldur, finding Thrain II prisoner there, and discovering the return of Sauron. That would set up the story to move forward on two fronts: the traditional Hobbit story, plus the whole White Council plot line, Saruman searching for the ring on his own, and the White Council attacking Dol Guldur.

I think a lot of people will be upset that there's a lot included that doesn't fit with the original story, but I think it's an approach that Tolkien would have been very approving of, since it fills in all of the backstory that he later wrote about in the LOTR appendices.

Bigtime
06-23-2011, 09:12 AM
Oh hello there:

http://i.imgur.com/r2WU1.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/UgZ4h.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/7Eio9.png

d_phaneuf
06-23-2011, 09:35 AM
Martin Freeman looks so perfect for that role

Muta
06-23-2011, 10:07 AM
Ten years later (I can't believe I'm saying that already), Gandalf doesn't look any different - awesome!!

Ozy_Flame
06-23-2011, 10:47 AM
Ahahaha I didn't realize Bilbo is the same actor who played Arthur Dent in Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy . . . Crossing my fingers for a Mos Def and/or Sam Rockwell cameo!

Cecil Terwilliger
06-23-2011, 10:48 AM
Mos Def? Everyone knows there are no black people in Middle Earth!

Muta
06-23-2011, 10:52 AM
Mos Def? Everyone knows there are no black people in Middle Earth!

Legolas was black, wasn't he?

peter12
06-23-2011, 12:25 PM
I found the LOTR series to be pretty wretched with some small enjoyment garnered from the first one. I really don't even like the novels which I find to be long, dry, and lacking in anything but an attempt at Christian mythology.

However, the Hobbit is a wonderful children's book, and if Peter Jackson can keep his Bay-esque tendencies under control, these look like two decent films.

sa226
06-23-2011, 12:43 PM
I found the LOTR series to be pretty wretched with some small enjoyment garnered from the first one. I really don't even like the novels which I find to be long, dry, and lacking in anything but an attempt at Christian mythology.

However, the Hobbit is a wonderful children's book, and if Peter Jackson can keep his Bay-esque tendencies under control, these look like two decent films.

Everyone is of course entitled to their own opinion,

But if you don't like the LOTR movies, then you are clearly a member of Al-qaeda.

Bigtime
06-23-2011, 12:50 PM
From what we've seen so far from the set it looks like Jackson is keeping the look very much like the LOTR trilogy. Personally I really enjoyed the films (and soundtrack) and the books. I'm actually reading them for the 2nd time, very interesting to see what they took from the novels and what they expanded on or cut.

peter12
06-23-2011, 12:55 PM
Everyone is of course entitled to their own opinion,

But if you don't like the LOTR movies, then you are clearly a member of Al-qaeda.

Is that another name for the good taste club? If so, I am a member in reasonably good standing.

MrMastodonFarm
06-23-2011, 10:02 PM
If we can step away from peter12 being peter12 for a minute...
http://www.hitfix.com/articles/ian-mckellan-returns-as-gandalf-in-first-hobbit-images

http://i1115.photobucket.com/albums/k546/Dave_Lewis/gandalf.jpg

Bigtime
06-24-2011, 07:15 AM
Hey it's one of the 3 pictures I posted on page 3. ;)

MrMastodonFarm
06-24-2011, 07:17 AM
:whaa::whaa:

Sr. Mints
06-24-2011, 02:45 PM
:whaa::whaa:

That's okay - it's an awesome picture and it's going to be a fantastic movie!

banffavenue
06-24-2011, 02:58 PM
I've only experienced LOTR in terms of the musical/theatre show and Warhammer merchandise. Asides from that I admit my knowledge of the series isn't great, now is this a prequel which I assume it to be or a continuation? I've always wanted to get into the films/books and if this is indeed a prequel it might be a good place to start.

Bigtime
06-24-2011, 04:18 PM
The Hobbit was written by Tolkien before he did The Lord of the Rings trilogy. So it is indeed a prequel in that sense, it was also much lighter in its tone than LOTR was.

The events in the Hobbit take place roughly 50 years before The Lord of the Rings (I could be off on that).

3 Justin 3
06-25-2011, 02:14 AM
The Hobbit was written by Tolkien before he did The Lord of the Rings trilogy. So it is indeed a prequel in that sense, it was also much lighter in its tone than LOTR was.

The events in the Hobbit take place roughly 50 years before The Lord of the Rings (I could be off on that).

No you're right, 50 years I believe.

That's why Bilbo doesn't look old as fata in this movie. I haven't read them, but these are the movies where he'll actually first find the ring. I think anyway, or would assume. Having never read them it is all wild guesses on my part, but I know a dragon is a villain.

Bigtime
06-25-2011, 07:20 AM
No you're right, 50 years I believe.

That's why Bilbo doesn't look old as fata in this movie. I haven't read them, but these are the movies where he'll actually first find the ring. I think anyway, or would assume. Having never read them it is all wild guesses on my part, but I know a dragon is a villain.

You would be correct in all that. Of course how Bilbo comes by the ring changed in later versions of The Hobbit as Tolkien had started writing The Lord of the Rings and the original version didn't work with the character that Gollum was to be in the new books. Tolkien ret-conned this change by saying that "The Hobbit" is the tale as told by Bilbo, and even then the influence of the ring made him change the story of how he acquired it in the first place, a clear indication of the power it could hold over all beings.

One thing that I don't think the LOTR movies showed well (specifically The Fellowship of the Ring) was just how much time passed between Frodo being given the ring and when Gandalf returns to tell him he has discovered what the ring is. I believe the time frame is something like 20 years. In the movies it just appears to be a few weeks and he's back.

Edit: It's 17 years between Bilbo leaving the Shire and Gandalf coming back to tell Frodo to leave with the ring. This would make Frodo 50 years old at that point.

Hanni
06-25-2011, 11:22 AM
Having never read them it is all wild guesses on my part, but I know a dragon is a villain.

You should read it, it's quite good, and not overly long.

One thing that I don't think the LOTR movies showed well (specifically The Fellowship of the Ring) was just how much time passed between Frodo being given the ring and when Gandalf returns to tell him he has discovered what the ring is. I believe the time frame is something like 20 years. In the movies it just appears to be a few weeks and he's back.

I've never read LOTR, what does Frodo do for all this time waiting for Gandalfs return? Just hang out in the shire?

Bigtime
06-25-2011, 12:37 PM
I've never read LOTR, what does Frodo do for all this time waiting for Gandalfs return? Just hang out in the shire?

Yup, he keeps living his life and keeps the ring safe. Then Gandalf comes rushing back and it all starts going down.

Cecil Terwilliger
06-25-2011, 01:09 PM

If you've seen the end of the 3rd movie you know him and Sam had no trouble finding ways to pass the time together.;)

Shades
06-25-2011, 02:35 PM
If you've seen the end of the 3rd movie you know him and Sam had no trouble finding ways to pass the time together.;)

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d114/CharlieBrigden/ROTK_FOAMINGFRODO.jpg

3 Justin 3
06-25-2011, 04:17 PM
Aww man. Of course his mouth has to be filled with "foam".

d_phaneuf
07-07-2011, 09:20 PM
http://img2.timeinc.net/ew/i/2011/07/07/the_hobbit_510.jpg

burn_this_city
07-08-2011, 08:27 AM
Can't wait to see Smaug the dragon.

troutman
07-08-2011, 08:44 AM

What part of LOTR is derivative of Christian mythology? I understood Prof. Tolkien based it on Norse mythologies. I did not consider that much when reading it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._R._R._Tolkien%27s_influences#Mythological_and_h istorical_influences

Tolkien once described The Lord of the Rings to his friend, the English Jesuit (http://forum.calgarypuck.com/wiki/Society_of_Jesus) Father Robert Murray, as "a fundamentally religious and Catholic work, unconsciously so at first, but consciously in the revision.[20] (http://forum.calgarypuck.com/#cite_note-letters-19) There are many theological themes underlying the narrative including the battle of good versus evil, the triumph of humility over pride, and the activity of grace (http://forum.calgarypuck.com/wiki/Divine_grace). In addition the saga includes themes which incorporate death and immortality, mercy and pity, resurrection, salvation, repentance, self-sacrifice, free will, justice, fellowship, authority and healing. In addition the Lord's Prayer "And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil" was reportedly present in Tolkien's mind as he described Frodo's struggles against the power of the One Ring.[20] (http://forum.calgarypuck.com/#cite_note-letters-19)

[I]Non-Christian religious motifs also had strong influences in Tolkien's Middle-earth

parch
07-08-2011, 08:45 AM
I'm excited to see what Smaug looks like too, but I don't want to see it before the movie and ruin the suprise. I get nervous everytime I check this thread now because I don't want to stumble upon a picture of him. I suppose that means I should stop checking the thread, but I'm just too excited about this movie!

Bigtime
07-11-2011, 06:36 PM
Another image released, this one of Oin and Gloin (father of Gimli in LOTR):

http://i.imgur.com/JVlIl.jpg

I think they really nailed the family resemblance for Gloin and Gimli.

Bigtime
07-12-2011, 04:00 PM
Kili and Fili:

http://i.imgur.com/SpPvP.jpg

Coach
07-12-2011, 04:52 PM

The Hobbit takes place before LOTR, but didn't Tolkien write it after?

Bigtime
07-12-2011, 05:07 PM
No, he wrote the Hobbit first. After LOTR was written he made some revisions to the Hobbit.

Hanni
07-13-2011, 08:20 PM
Video Blog #2

sfPaIdMAso0

Daradon
07-13-2011, 11:47 PM
The Hobbit takes place before LOTR, but didn't Tolkien write it after?

Nope, it was written before. As mentioned it has a much lighter feel, and that is because it was based on stories he wrote for his children. It is, in a lot of ways, suited as a childrens book.

It was after he was persuaded to publish it, and it became popular with old audiences as well as young, that he started writing LotR which he made as a sequel for the older audiences that liked The Hobbit.

killer_carlson
07-14-2011, 08:09 AM
Awe man, we're only going to get to watch the first one!

out of thanks.

that was a good one:D

Bigtime
07-14-2011, 08:45 AM
Bombur, Bifur, Bofur:

http://moviesmedia.ign.com/movies/image/article/118/1181874/the-hobbit-an-unexpected-journey-20110713111341600.jpg

the-rasta-masta
07-14-2011, 10:07 AM
I always liked the Hobbit better than LOTR, I have read this book a million times. Can't wait for this!

CaptainCrunch
07-14-2011, 10:22 AM
If I hear anything about hobbits singing songs, I'm leaving the theatre.

Daradon
07-14-2011, 11:29 AM
I always liked the Hobbit better than LOTR, I have read this book a million times. Can't wait for this!

Nothing against you, I'd just like to know why.

Coach
07-14-2011, 11:37 AM
I enjoyed the Hobbit more as well. I could have been that I was only about 12 when I tried to get through LOTR and I didnt have the attention span for it.

troutman
07-14-2011, 12:51 PM
If I hear anything about hobbits singing songs, I'm leaving the theatre.

5lJJr0lDQiQ

Bigtime
07-15-2011, 07:10 AM
Balin and Dwalin revealed:

http://timenewsfeed.files.wordpress.com/2011/07/hbt-dwf-005.jpg?w=455

Sr. Mints
07-15-2011, 08:45 AM
Nothing against you, I'd just like to know why.

I think I enjoyed the Hobbit more, and I've read it a couple times now.

For me, LOTR was a harder read. I don't mean more difficult, it was just that I found myself taking notes halfway through the first book. There was a huge amount of history weaved in, plus all the characters and locations and languages and songs and poems...

troutman
07-15-2011, 11:12 AM
http://www-images.theonering.org/torwp/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/wideDwarves07123.jpg

troutman
07-15-2011, 11:14 AM
WwusXQrmOsQ

Cast:

http://www.theonering.net/torwp/the-hobbit/cast/

troutman
07-18-2011, 01:39 PM
http://www.theonering.net/

http://www-images.theonering.org/torwp/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/thorin-richardarmitage520.jpg (http://www-images.theonering.org/torwp/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/thorin-richardarmitage.jpg)

As a young Dwarf prince, Thorin witnessed the destruction and terror wrought when a great fire-breathing Dragon attacked the Dwarf Kingdom of Erebor. After slaughtering many of Thorin’s kin, the great serpent, Smaug, entered The Lonely Mountain and took possession of its vast store of gold and jewels. No-one came to the aid of the surviving Dwarves, and thus, a once proud and noble race was forced into exile. Through long years of hardship, Thorin grew to be a strong and fearless fighter and revered leader. In his heart a fierce desire grew; a desire to reclaim his homeland and destroy the beast that had brought such misery upon his people. So when fate offers him an unusual ally, he seizes the chance for revenge.

Shouldn't Thorin look older?

Bigtime
07-18-2011, 01:47 PM
Shouldn't Thorin look older?

This is being nerd-discussed over at the somethingawful forums:

Middle-earth fantasy lesson time:

Dwarrows live for an average of 250 years and stay middle-aged in appearance until fairly close to death by old age (a few decades). Thorin's only ~200 years old at the time he sets out for Erebor.Balin was 17 years younger than Thorin but described as "very old-looking" and with a white beard.

Orcist looks amazing.

Locke
07-18-2011, 02:11 PM
Looks like an awesome cast.

Martin Freeman should be an awesome Bilbo.

Bigtime
07-21-2011, 08:06 PM
Official picture of all the dwarves released:

http://i.imgur.com/vO83dl.jpg

octothorp
07-21-2011, 09:00 PM
One of my biggest worries was how they were going to make 13 dwarves all look different enough from one another that you could easily keep track of who was who. But this is pretty great character design. There's 13 different styles of beards alone. I particularly like that Gloin has a strong resemblance to Gimli.

IgnitedSoul
07-21-2011, 10:50 PM
Production Video #3!!!

KpGTs-cXa0M

Where some awesome appearances are made.

3 Justin 3
07-21-2011, 11:31 PM
I hope they keep releasing them with this much regularity.

The dwarfs look pretty damn good and the post-production on them is just going to make them looking even better.

3 Justin 3
11-05-2011, 05:31 AM
Production Video #4.

u5WkkcI8yFw

This actually has me excited for 3D since they're also shooting it in 48fps and like Avatar they're doing the 3D properly.

Can't wait to see this fails, because regardless of whether they are a good film, the cinematography is going to be excellent.

GreatWhiteEbola
11-05-2011, 03:39 PM
Those production videos are a class act. I am excited to see this movie! It may be the first movie I see in the theater more then once.

MrMastodonFarm
11-05-2011, 04:05 PM
You really have to admire and love Peter Jackson. In terms of how he makes and produces films he is always on the cutting edge, but he doesn't do that to spite older techniques that work. He'll still actually build sets, and use green screen and 3d cameras to bring those sets to life.

Can't wait for The Hobbit.

d_phaneuf
11-05-2011, 08:30 PM
completely agree

I have no doubts this movie is going to live up to the considerable standards of the original trilogy because of the work that Jackson and everyone behind the scenes is putting in

can't wait

killer_carlson
11-05-2011, 10:17 PM
Those were awesome. I really enjoyed that and have a better appreciation for things I had never put my mind to.

Why does Peter Jackson's hair always look so terrible though? With all those hair and effects people, surely someone would have an extra comb, wouldn't you think?

Beerfest
11-05-2011, 10:19 PM
Really looking forward to this coming out/seeing it.

Ill always remember how awesome it was going to see The Lord of The Ring movies in theatres.

3 Justin 3
11-05-2011, 11:12 PM
Someone on the youtube video commented that Peter Jackson and Chris Nolan are the two best directors in film right now and I have to agree. For one simple reason: they both make big budget films which are actually good, but more importantly, they don't rely of CGI, Nolan prefers miniature models (even though they cost more) and you can see the sets from Jackson obviously in the diary films.

Like I said with the 3D, the way they're shooting it really shows their passion for film making, and that they're not just doing it for the extra money. They want to make the best film possible and want to do the 3D right.

I think these films are going to clean up at the Oscars again like RotK did.

MissTeeks
12-20-2011, 11:28 AM
New still from The Hobbit was released and the first trailer comes out tonight at 8pm. Yay! The trailer will open in front of Tintin tomorrow.

http://i732.photobucket.com/albums/ww327/missteeks/hobbit.jpg

Ozy_Flame
12-20-2011, 11:57 AM
Dark Knight Rises + Hobbit trailers in one week = early Christmas.

Bigtime
12-20-2011, 12:01 PM
Daaaaaaaamn. Love that still.

Icon
12-20-2011, 12:39 PM
Why is December 2012 so far away :(

HPLovecraft
12-20-2011, 03:07 PM
New still from The Hobbit was released and the first trailer comes out tonight at 8pm. Yay! The trailer will open in front of Tintin tomorrow.

http://i732.photobucket.com/albums/ww327/missteeks/hobbit.jpg

Is that Jay Bouwmeester dressed as a hobbit?

Muta
12-20-2011, 03:41 PM
Is that Jay Bouwmeester dressed as a hobbit?

...dressed as a hobbit?

3 Justin 3
12-24-2011, 03:01 AM
You guy's want another Christmas present? Well then I present Blog video #5:

pFUh_k2ipqo

zamler
12-24-2011, 02:03 PM
^^ That is truly amazing. This is what film making is all about, watching that I could only think of the difference between what P. Jackson does, and George Lucas. Lucas sits in a chair doing next to nothing, everything green screened and CGI'd, Jackson goes out and builds an entire village, for real. And that's only scratching the surface.

Can't help but respect that.

HPLovecraft
12-24-2011, 02:43 PM
In want to live in Hobbiton. :(

3 Justin 3
12-24-2011, 02:54 PM
^^ That is truly amazing. This is what film making is all about, watching that I could only think of the difference between what P. Jackson does, and George Lucas. Lucas sits in a chair doing next to nothing, everything green screened and CGI'd, Jackson goes out and builds an entire village, for real. And that's only scratching the surface.

Can't help but respect that.

I really hope this cleans up in the Oscars like RotK did (and I'm sure it will) just because no other movie maker goes out of their way like he does to produce a film of this quality.

It's almost upsetting knowing that a lot of these big block buster films that make $700+ million are mostly just CGI have tripe stories/scripts, terrible acting, horrible directing, bland action, yet still make a killing. I don't know how anyone can watch this (blog video #5) and still mention The Hobbit (or LotR) in the same breath as Transformers or any of that other garbage that has been a "blockbuster" in the past few years. Like the movies or not, you have to respect the film making, which is genuine. They don't give a fata about the money (well they probably do), but they want to tell the best story and want everything in the movie to be good. Not many blockbusters care anymore.

I really hope these movies kill at the box office and break Avatar's record. Peter Jackson and co. deserve that for the amount of effort being put into making these films.

MrMastodonFarm
12-24-2011, 05:32 PM
Andy Serkais is directing the b unit.

Jackson seems to really admire and trust him.

GreatWhiteEbola
03-04-2012, 10:47 PM
THE HOBBIT, Production Video #6
QjYn845i08A

3 Justin 3
03-05-2012, 12:14 AM
If there was an award committee for just technical aspects of movie making, this would completely clean up. I can see why these two films cost $500 million to make.

nik-
03-05-2012, 12:21 AM
Holy crap ... I had an "omg" moment when Peter Jackson was talking about Andy Serkis jumping in the creek to chase the fish TWELVE years ago ... wow man. Time flies and I feel old.

Yeah_Baby
03-05-2012, 12:32 AM
Holy crap ... I had an "omg" moment when Peter Jackson was talking about Andy Serkis jumping in the creek to chase the fish TWELVE years ago ... wow man. Time flies and I feel old.

That's what keeps flooring me. The Fellowship of the Ring was in theaters a decade ago. A decade!

zamler
03-05-2012, 11:50 AM
What's cool for me is I remember that like it was yesterday.

Icon
03-05-2012, 01:29 PM
edit: nevermind I'm an idiot.

YYC in LAX
03-05-2012, 01:45 PM
Can it be summer please?

Not entirely sure what you're getting at, but this comes out December, 2012

Icon
03-05-2012, 01:57 PM
Not entirely sure what you're getting at, but this comes out December, 2012

oh... why did i think it was in the summer... that's even worse then :(

maybe i was thinking of Batman.

YYC in LAX
03-05-2012, 02:19 PM
maybe i was thinking of Batman.

Just as good

troutman
03-05-2012, 02:30 PM
Will “The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey", win best picture next year?

Yeah_Baby
03-05-2012, 02:35 PM
No, They'll probably give it The Dark Knight Rises just because they snubbed The Dark Knight even though TDK will probably be better.

3 Justin 3
03-05-2012, 02:42 PM
I wonder if the The Hobbit (either parts) can outlast Return of the King extended edition? 4+ hours of Hobbity goodness.

HPLovecraft
04-25-2012, 08:43 AM
So, rumblings out of movie critic land is that the format P. Jackson chose to film the Hobbit in (48fps vs the older 24fps) makes the movie look like a cheap television show. This can't be good news, can it?

http://movies.ign.com/articles/122/1223523p1.html

iggyformayor
04-25-2012, 09:04 AM
So, rumblings out of movie critic land is that the format P. Jackson chose to film the Hobbit in (48fps vs the older 24fps) makes the movie look like a cheap television show. This can't be good news, can it?

I can understand what they mean and it does make sense. When I bought my new LED TV and watched it in HD for the first time, most shows it seemed like I was watching the actors act, as in a play of some sort, as opposed to the normal aesthetic of a TV show. I did get used to it after a while, and don't notice it as much any more, but I did slow down the refresh rate on the TV as well so that helped. I still think that this movie is going to be absolutely spectacular though.

Bigtime
04-25-2012, 09:07 AM
I have faith that Jackson and Co. knew what they were doing with the choice of going to 48fps. I will reserve judgement until I am in the theatre watching it.

Matata
04-25-2012, 09:10 AM

On the plus side, I'd guess that only 3d theatres will have the technological support to show the 48fps. So we should have some options in what version of the film we can see. I'm still pretty excited about seeing the 48fps for the first time and he still has plenty of time to fine tune these kinds of details.

zuluking
04-26-2012, 08:11 AM
Thread should probably be moved to the new Food and Entertainment sub-forum. I want my trailers and spoilers all in one place!

Lt.Spears
04-26-2012, 09:01 AM
I really hate that super-clear look that you get on new TV's like the IGN article states, you end up focusing more on the image and less on the story.

I REALLY hope this isnt a new trend in filmmaking, i cant stand that ultra-clear look. Nothing looks natural about it.

Textcritic
04-26-2012, 11:01 AM
I can understand what they mean and it does make sense. When I bought my new LED TV and watched it in HD for the first time, most shows it seemed like I was watching the actors act, as in a play of some sort, as opposed to the normal aesthetic of a TV show. I did get used to it after a while, and don't notice it as much any more, but I did slow down the refresh rate on the TV as well so that helped. I still think that this movie is going to be absolutely spectacular though.
This really bugged me when I purchased my LED TV, but after getting used to it, I actually prefer it.

worth
04-26-2012, 12:15 PM
My parents have an LED TV and i'm only there once in a while, so I never get used to it. Every time I go over there it annoys the hell out of me.

cDnStealth
04-26-2012, 12:43 PM
You guys know that you can turn that feature off on your TVs right? I tried to get use to it but it was way too distracting.

THowie
04-26-2012, 01:06 PM
I might have missed it in the previous posts, but when is the Hobbit being released?

troutman
04-26-2012, 01:12 PM
http://www.theonering.net/torwp/the-hobbit/

Two Films – Two films will be made of ‘The Hobbit.’ The first film, titled “The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey,” will be released on December 14, 2012. The second film, titled “The Hobbit: There and Back Again,” is slated for release the following year, on December 13, 2013.

Hack&Lube
04-26-2012, 02:33 PM
You guys know that you can turn that feature off on your TVs right? I tried to get use to it but it was way too distracting.

Yeah you can turn it off but you can't do the same thing in theaters if they are running the 48 FPS version.

Feels like you are watching live sports instead of an epic film. It's hard to explain. People call it the Soap Opera effect because you often get that on higher FPS, cheaper video-tape like most Soap Operas are filmed on. People have described seeing the preview as like actually being on set watching it with your own eyes and seeing a bunch of actors acting and doing things you know are fake and the whole suspension of disbelief is made much harder because that separation or dreaminess of 24 FPS is gone.

troutman
04-27-2012, 10:58 AM
Quickbeam survived his trip to VEGA$ and back -- and has returned with a very detailed report on the 10 minutes of HOBBIT footage shown at CinemaCon! For those who could not tune into the live webcast TORn TUESDAY, here is Cliff's comprehensive review of the footage and a talking down of the so-called 48 fps controversy! IF YOU DON'T WANT MAJOR SPOILERS THEN BE CAUTIOUS http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2012/04/27/55378-hobbit-footage-review-massive-spoilers-full-coverage-analysis/

GreatWhiteEbola
06-05-2012, 11:56 PM
Production video #7 (https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151028043926807&set=vb.141884481557&type=2&theater)

MissTeeks
07-04-2012, 03:00 PM
Time for a bump, only 162 more days! Some new shots from the movie, nothing really exciting.

http://www.ew.com/ew/gallery/0,,20483133_20608420,00.html

The coverstory this week in Entertainment Weekly is about The Hobbit.

http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2012/07/02/58097-ew-com-unveils-new-photos-from-the-hobbit-set/

GreatWhiteEbola
07-05-2012, 06:28 PM
We made it! Shoot day 266 and the end of principal photography on The Hobbit. Thanks to our fantastic cast and crew for getting us this far, and to all of you for your support! Next stop, the cutting room. Oh, and Comic Con!

Shooting done...

Puppet Guy
07-09-2012, 09:50 AM
the poster's been released. Or at least the Comic-Con version of it:

http://jam.canoe.ca/Movies/2012/07/09/HOBBIT-COMIC-CON-POSTER-400.jpg

Ozy_Flame
07-09-2012, 10:16 AM
^^^ Hahaha that's totally New Zealand. I took a similar picture when I was there about six years ago:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/240_519480466027_16_n.jpg

HalifaxDrunk
07-09-2012, 12:17 PM
^^^ Hahaha that's totally New Zealand. I took a similar picture when I was there about six years ago:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/240_519480466027_16_n.jpg

Can you post a larger resolution image? I can't see Gandalf in this one.

troutman
07-09-2012, 12:49 PM
Can you post a larger resolution image? I can't see Gandalf in this one.

A wizard is never late, nor is he early, he arrives precisely when he means to.

Puppet Guy
07-09-2012, 12:53 PM
for the Comic-Con posters Jackson should've put "From the director of Meet the Feebles" instead.

Ozy_Flame
07-09-2012, 01:45 PM
A wizard is never late, nor is he early, he arrives precisely when he means to.

I've always hated this quote. Rather than speaking in riddles, its much easier to "A wizard always arrives on time" or "on the dot". Stupid wizards.

Bigtime
07-09-2012, 07:27 PM
I've always hated this quote. Rather than speaking in riddles, its much easier to "A wizard always arrives on time" or "on the dot". Stupid wizards.

"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger."

troutman
07-10-2012, 08:38 AM

Do not take me for some conjurer of cheap tricks!

Coach
07-10-2012, 03:22 PM

But he's not necessarily "on time" relative to the people waiting for him. That's just when he meant to arrive.

Ozy_Flame
07-10-2012, 07:23 PM
But he's not necessarily "on time" relative to the people waiting for him. That's just when he meant to arrive.

Wizards are no more epic than normal human beings. Proper courtesy dictates to arrive on time. :cool:

Then again he's an old man, likely suffering from early stage dementia and possibly Malaria or Dengu due to the copious amounts of time spent outside in untreated shrubbery around Middle Earth.

Ozy_Flame
07-10-2012, 07:33 PM
Do not take me for some conjurer of cheap tricks!

I doubt Gandalf was in the band, or at least a fan:

http://www.bandswallpapers.com/data/media/3/CheapTrick_23.jpg

MissTeeks
07-11-2012, 02:57 PM
This is a neat scroll from Entertainment Weekly. It just shows stills of some scenes. The dwarves in the barrels at the end look great!

http://www.ew.com/ew/special/0,,20399642_20610399,00.html

Coys1882
07-11-2012, 03:46 PM
If anyone is interested or is a fan of Martin Freeman - do yourself a favour and check him out as Dr. Watson in the BBC version of Sherlock Holmes - it's really good.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1475582/

GreatWhiteEbola
07-23-2012, 11:43 AM
NS3ameZfPdw

killer_carlson
07-25-2012, 08:08 AM
I quite enjoyed that blog. Probably my favorite one yet.

GreenLantern
07-25-2012, 09:29 AM
Reminds me of when they ended LOTR, seemed like a really sad day for many. I think one of the reasons those movies were so good is that everyone involved had a lot of passion for the films.

Seems to be the same for The Hobbit.

trackercowe
07-25-2012, 10:56 AM
It seems like they are going to add on another movie to The Hobbit and make it a trilogy-

http://www.imdb.com/news/ni32702140/

I know I for one am getting pretty sick of this phenomenon of breaking one single entry into 2-3 movies, especially when the source material doesn't call for it. Two movies was certainly enough to finish this one, and three is just overkill.

But considering Hollywood doesn't develop original movies anymore it's not too much of a surprise.

Bigtime
07-25-2012, 02:58 PM
Very interesting, sounds like they would use a lot of the extra material in the appendices from LOTR. I have faith in Jackson, so if he wants to run with this I'll trust him.

I wonder if they would use the 3rd film to bridge some events that we don't really see in the Fellowship of the Ring. Like the fall of the Mines of Moria, that would be killer.

3 Justin 3
07-25-2012, 03:45 PM
It hasn't been confirmed whether or not they are making a 3rd film, they've just been discussing it with the head of the studio.

Also, you have no way of knowing whether the source material doesn't call for three films if they indeed do go ahead and shoot more footage (would require another 2+ months of shooting and they would need to re-negotiate contracts, etc). The two films they have now aren't just The Hobbit, but also include short stories, etc. of the Tolkien universe.

DeluxeMoustache
07-25-2012, 04:32 PM
If anyone is interested or is a fan of Martin Freeman - do yourself a favour and check him out as Dr. Watson in the BBC version of Sherlock Holmes - it's really good.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1475582/

Kind of a shame that the Hobbit is causing a delay for Sherlock, that is a great series.

Also I am scared by the CBS pending show Elementary, seems the subtlety and wit will be foregone.

But definitely agree with the above. Also Benedict who plays Sherlock on the BBC will be in the Hobbit I understand

MissTeeks
07-25-2012, 04:49 PM
Kind of a shame that the Hobbit is causing a delay for Sherlock, that is a great series.

Also I am scared by the CBS pending show Elementary, seems the subtlety and wit will be foregone.

But definitely agree with the above. Also Benedict who plays Sherlock on the BBC will be in the Hobbit I understand

As the voice of Smaug I believe.

MrMastodonFarm
07-25-2012, 05:55 PM
It seems like they are going to add on another movie to The Hobbit and make it a trilogy-

http://www.imdb.com/news/ni32702140/

I know I for one am getting pretty sick of this phenomenon of breaking one single entry into 2-3 movies, especially when the source material doesn't call for it. Two movies was certainly enough to finish this one, and three is just overkill.

But considering Hollywood doesn't develop original movies anymore it's not too much of a surprise.
When it's movies like Twlight and The Hunger Games then I go, huh. But it's Peter Jackson... it's Middle Earth.... give me three more of movies in this amazing world they've created and I'm fine with that.

d_phaneuf
07-30-2012, 09:41 AM
3 films is official

BREAKING: Peter Jackson has just confirmed that he will split The Hobbit into three films, the third of which will be released sometime in the summer of 2014. Jackson dropped hints about this at Comic-Con, explaining that he had a wealth of storytelling that came
http://www.deadline.com/2012/07/peter-jackson-confirms-the-hobbit-will-be-three-films/#utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

nik-
07-30-2012, 09:56 AM
ugh. Not cool.

SuperMatt18
07-30-2012, 10:35 AM
Call me skeptical since I'm not really sure how you could turn the Hobbit into three films, but I guess it might be possible with all the other short stories and the appendices from LOTR.

Regulator75
07-30-2012, 10:37 AM
Hopefully each film isn't 3+ hours long.

GreenLantern
07-30-2012, 10:38 AM
Very excited about this. It just means more Tolkien, and there is nothing wrong with that. This is probably the last chance we will get of Jackson's take on Middle Earth, why not get as much as possible?

The Battle of Five Armies should get an extra half hour because of this.. just to make it that much more epic.

jammies
07-30-2012, 10:42 AM
The Hobbit is around 300 pages long. Two movies was really stretching it, so three is ridiculous.

I hope they are good, but LOTR was dragging by the end of the third movie - I can't be the only one who was thinking "Sail away already!" when it was getting into hour four.

troutman
07-30-2012, 10:46 AM
It's not just The Hobbit in three movies - it sounds like they are adding a lot of additional material (appendices and new material), bridging The Hobbit to LOTR.

In Game of Thrones, aren't they turning each book into 10 episodes (10 hours)?

Bigtime
07-30-2012, 10:48 AM
It's not just The Hobbit in three movies - it sounds like they are adding a lot of additional material (appendices and new material), bridging The Hobbit to LOTR.

In Game of Thrones, aren't they turning each book into 10 episodes (10 hours)?

Yup, and book 3 is being split into two seasons.

Bigtime
07-30-2012, 11:06 AM
The Hobbit is around 300 pages long. Two movies was really stretching it, so three is ridiculous.

Brokeback Mountain: 27 pages
Curious Case of Benjamin Button: 21 pages

From another forum:

The films are adapting not only The Hobbit, but a potential extra 125 pages of highly compressed material called The Appendices, found at the end of The Return of the King. These not only add important extra detail to the plot of The Hobbit, but they also sketch an outline of Middle-earth history that spans an enormous time frame.

jammies
07-30-2012, 11:08 AM

That's exactly what concerns me. It sounds like Jackson is going to kludge a trilogy together out of dissimilar elements that were never intended to be presented together as a whole. The tone of "The Hobbit" is completely different than the rest of Tolkien's material, and what we are going to get doesn't sound to be faithful to the original at all.

I really disliked many of Jackson's changes to the LoTR, because they didn't seem to be so much about telling the story in a different way as telling a different story. Which is fine if you are a brilliant director working with flawed material, but he's not and the material's flaws lie entirely outside the areas where he seems to want to meddle.

Azure
07-30-2012, 11:09 AM

I hope they are good, but LOTR was dragging by the end of the third movie - I can't be the only one who was thinking "Sail away already!" when it was getting into hour four.

I think they're going beyond The Hobbit though.

But I agree, the last LOTR movie was extremely long. The extended version much worse.

But its Peter Jackson, and he knows Tolkien, so this will probably be good.

Bigtime
07-30-2012, 11:17 AM
That's exactly what concerns me. It sounds like Jackson is going to kludge a trilogy together out of dissimilar elements that were never intended to be presented together as a whole. The tone of "The Hobbit" is completely different than the rest of Tolkien's material, and what we are going to get doesn't sound to be faithful to the original at all.

With Jackson at the helm again did you expect it to match the tone of the book though? I think it was a fair assumption to make that he would project the darker world of LOTR onto The Hobbit.

KTrain
07-30-2012, 11:18 AM
The purists are going to get their panties in a bundle over this.

That being said, The Hobbit movies have to be significantly shorter than the LOTR movies or they'll be really stretching it. The trailer from the Dark Knight Rise was pretty boring. Hopefully that doesn't carry over to the film.

YYC in LAX
07-30-2012, 11:24 AM
I get what they're doing, but it kind of weakens the integrity of the LoTR movies.

Longer, more in depth books got 1 movie each.
The Hobbit gets 3 movies to itself. I understand that there will be additional material that will bridge the stories together, but it seems kind of odd.

Just hope Tolkein's vision isn't changed.

jammies
07-30-2012, 11:28 AM
With Jackson at the helm again did you expect it to match the tone of the book though? I think it was a fair assumption to make that he would project the darker world of LOTR onto The Hobbit.

Well, this is the same man who made "The Frighteners" and "Meet the Feebles", so he does have some background in less seriously gloomy fare. I did have some hopes, but those are pretty well vanished now.

Bigtime
07-30-2012, 11:31 AM
I think he's kept some of the singing though, so you got that.

nik-
07-30-2012, 12:16 PM
The singing and the compliment circles were the worst parts of the LotR books. So glad he kept that stuff out.

Cecil Terwilliger
07-30-2012, 12:32 PM
I think the Hobbit is going to flop compared to LOTR.

I just don't see it being both a commercial and critical success in the same way LOTR was. I'd be surprised if it got the same kind of mainstream attention or the Academy award noms. And I don't mean any mainstream attention, Hobbit will get its share but I'd be very surprised if it becomes a phenomenon the way LOTR did.

I think the core audience is going to be there and it will be a commercial success but I just don't think you're going to see a ton of non-Tolkien fans become fans like happened with LOTR. I'm basing that mostly on personal opinion of the source material and just the general vibe I get surrounding the Hobbit.

I honestly hardly know anyone who didn't enjoy the LOTR trilogy (the third one being borderline terrible because it was waaay too long notwithstanding). I think the LOTR fanbase and the general appeal of these movies will make it successful but I think it falls well short of expectations and its predecessors.

troutman
07-30-2012, 12:54 PM

I'll take that bet. The LOTR movies built a fanatical world-wide audience. Also, The Hobbit should appeal more to children, further boosting ticket sales.

nik-
07-30-2012, 12:55 PM
I don't agree that it's going to flop, but it's definitely not going to be as massive. It's really too bad, because the Hobbit is a great self contained story, stretching it out over three years is really going to affect it negatively.

Cecil Terwilliger
07-30-2012, 12:59 PM
I'll take that bet. The LOTR movies built a fanatical world-wide audience. Also, The Hobbit should appeal more to children, further boosting ticket sales.

But I don't think it'll be the cultural phenom it was last time. Is it in 3D? That changes everything.

I don't agree that it's going to flop, but it's definitely not going to be as massive. It's really too bad, because the Hobbit is a great self contained story, stretching it out over three years is really going to affect it negatively.

I didn't say it would flop, I said it's not going to be as massive. Or in other words, it'll flop compared to LOTR.

Erick Estrada
07-30-2012, 01:08 PM

IMO it has a chance to be even bigger launching just before the Christmas holidays pretty well guarantees a massive box office return. The Hobbit being an older and slightly less dark writing may reach a broader audience than LOTR. Of course the movie itself will have to be very good, well received and marketed properly for this to happen.

On the other side of the coin there is the risk of a portion of the audience reaching their saturation point in the whole Hobbit/LOTR universe. Time will tell.

Locke
07-30-2012, 01:09 PM
I dont think it will match up to the LOTR simply because people's expectations of Jackson this time around are absolutely astronomical.

To out-do LOTR hes going to have to come up with something really special.

octothorp
07-30-2012, 01:18 PM
My only concern about the decision to do two movies rather than three is the lateness of the decision. 'I have enough footage to do three films' just isn't a good enough justification in my opinion. The question should be 'can I do the story justice in two films, or does it absolutely require three?' I would have preferred the approach of doing two relatively tight cinema releases, and then geeking out with all the extra stuff in the extended editions, similar to LotR.

Personally, I love the decision to go darker. The subject-matter of the books was extremely dark for children's fare, even if the mood was much lighter than LotR. I remember being very affected both by the battle scene, the caverns, and the forest-fire scene when my dad read me these books as a child.

I also think the 'Tolkien's vision' argument tends to miss the fact that Tolkien was, himself, constantly revising and adding to his work. He just wanted to create something as absolutely epic as possible, and later in his career he felt that the Hobbit story would be more epic if it were more closely tied to the LotR story. Which is more important, the vision he had when he was writing the book, or how he saw the story in the context of the larger Middle Earth story later in his life? Maybe we're all guessing when we say what he would have wanted, but my guess is that he would love the approach of using all the Dol Guldur/White Council stuff.

Locke
07-30-2012, 01:23 PM
I have to say, just finished watching the clip, and you have to love the amount of detail, craftsmanship, pride and love that goes into these movies.

This isnt your simple; 'show up, shoot, go home' kind of deal. Its amazing to me how much the cast and crew love doing the work despite the details they give you about how hard and grueling it is.

KTrain
07-30-2012, 01:23 PM
They'll make more money with 3 films than 2 or 1. That's the only decision they needed to make. The Hobbit/LOTR franchise is a sure-fire money maker and very few franchises can say the same.

Aegypticus
07-30-2012, 02:27 PM
They'll make more money with 3 films than 2 or 1. That's the only decision they needed to make. The Hobbit/LOTR franchise is a sure-fire money maker and very few franchises can say the same.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. It was probably out of his hands. If you tell a studio after you've finished filming two movies that they can have three instead for a relatively small additional investment I think the execs would wet themselves with excitement.

Mike F
07-30-2012, 11:29 PM
It'll open huge, and a huge opening fed by pre-release excitement can carry a film a long way. However, there are three movies that need to be successful, not one. If the huge audiences that walk into the first one walk out thinking 'meh' due to there not being enough compelling story to drive three full movies, combined with the possibility that the visuals turn out disappointing due to the new frame rate it's shot in (http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2403746,00.asp), you'll have trouble carrying momentum into the 2nd and 3rd installments.

Ashartus
07-31-2012, 09:31 AM
I'll reserve judgment until the movies come out. I'm not opposed to 3 movies if it means they'll be shorter - closer to 2 hours rather than over 3 hours. There should be enough natural breaks in the Hobbit story to divide it up, since it's really a fairly episodic story. The other storyline is so condensed in the LotR appendices that it's hard to say how much time they'd need to tell that part. What I wouldn't want to see is the story being dragged out just for the sake of making the extra movie.

MissTeeks
08-31-2012, 08:02 PM
The second part of The Hobbit has been re-named The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug, the third part takes the original name of the second movie: The Hobbit: There and Back Again and given a release date of July 18, 2014, which is the release date for the new X-Men: First Class movie.

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2012/08/31/the-hobbit-desolation-of-smaug-title-release-date/

MrMastodonFarm
08-31-2012, 08:08 PM
The second part of The Hobbit has been re-named The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug, the third part takes the original name of the second movie: The Hobbit: There and Back Again and given a release date of July 18, 2014, which is the release date for the new X-Men: First Class movie.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lnijkn5LtJ1qaogwxo1_500.gif

Sr. Mints
09-04-2012, 07:14 PM
I'm totally excited for The Hobbit, but even the slightest mention of X-Men: First Class throws me into a loop. Frack, that was a good movie!

3 Justin 3
09-04-2012, 09:19 PM
I'm totally excited for The Hobbit, but even the slightest mention of X-Men: First Class throws me into a loop. Frack, that was a good movie!

Throws you into a loop?

If MMF even thinks about X-Men: First Class ever so slightly, his arousal levels reach a level of sexual climax so great that it puts him into a complete disarray that he must stop everything he is doing so he can calm himself down for an hour or else he would spontaneously explode into a millions pieces of complete happiness.

Yeah_Baby
09-04-2012, 11:58 PM
Frig, Fassbender is an amazing actor.

drhu22
09-05-2012, 12:04 AM
Re: The purists are going to get their panties in a bundle over this.

I am not!
I don't wear panties!

MrMastodonFarm
09-05-2012, 08:06 AM
Frig, Fassbender is an amazing actor.
Man crush aside, he really is. I have First Class, Shame and A Dangerous Method all protected on the ol' PVR for random viewings.

Throws you into a loop?
If MMF even thinks about X-Men: First Class ever so slightly, his arousal levels reach a level of sexual climax
It's really good.. The point of the gif was to be like.. wtf.. damn you hobbit, you messing with Magneto?

I'm sure the X-Men sequel will be moved now.

polak
09-05-2012, 08:32 AM
I was contemplating seeing it when I thought it was one movie.

I can't take another 6 hours of walking and doing nothing in a trilogy. I just can't.

MrMastodonFarm
09-05-2012, 08:35 AM
I can't take another 6 hours of walking and doing nothing in a trilogy. I just can't.

I was fine with The Hobbit being two movies, and I'll admit I'm a little worried about three.. but nothing happened in LOTR's?

lol

polak
09-05-2012, 08:37 AM
I was fine with The Hobbit being two movies, and I'll admit I'm a little worried about three.. but nothing happened in LOTR's?

lol

No stuff happend, but a very large portion of the movies was devoted to walking and talking... That combined with the super drawn out ending left a really bad taste in my mouth.

Peter Jackson should have finished the Halo movie first :whaa:

Ashartus
09-05-2012, 11:11 AM
No stuff happend, but a very large portion of the movies was devoted to walking and talking... That combined with the super drawn out ending left a really bad taste in my mouth. :whaa:

I guess you haven't read the books? The movies cut out piles of the walking and talking and chopped off most of the ending :)

nik-
09-05-2012, 12:15 PM
I just find it ironic that by far the smallest book in the Rings saga is getting three movies to tell its story.

God damn greedy.

MrMastodonFarm
09-05-2012, 12:24 PM
I just find it ironic that by far the smallest book in the Rings saga is getting three movies to tell its story..
I have faith in Peter Jackson. I hope if he didn't think he could make three quality movies out of it, he wouldn't.

I dunno, we'll see. If the first is good, I'll go to the 2nd, if it isn't I won't.

Locke
09-05-2012, 12:27 PM
I have faith in Peter Jackson. I hope if he didn't think he could make three quality movies out of it, he wouldn't.

I dunno, we'll see. If the first is good, I'll go to the 2nd, if it isn't I won't.

Ditto.

We may well be sitting here in a few years being incredible thankful that he did it in three movies.

Sure, he'll earn a ton of extra money, but if we're graced with 3 unbelievable films, then we may be more than happy to pay for it.

nik-
09-05-2012, 12:29 PM
Two I had accepted, because I could visualize the separation, I just don't see how you can break it into three parts and have all of them be satisfying.

I'll most likely still watch them, and I guess that's all they care about, but it's still annoying.

polak
09-05-2012, 12:38 PM
I guess you haven't read the books? The movies cut out piles of the walking and talking and chopped off most of the ending :)

I have only read the hobbit but that was back in the 6th grade lol.

I think my teacher had an obsession with that book.

Jacks
09-05-2012, 12:47 PM
LOTR could have easily been 6 movies, I can't see how the Hobbit could be more than 2.

GreenLantern
09-05-2012, 02:19 PM
The way I understand it is that Jackson wants The Hobbit to run right up to the start of LOTR.

So you could watch all 6 movies in a row. He has the appendices (am I saying that right?) which are a lot of random tales that kind of help tie things together in both The Hobbit and LOTR.

I am not fully sure what to expect out of three movies, but I am happy. If it was up to me there would be a 10 season HBO series on it as well. I can't get enough of these kinds of movies.

Maybe someone will make a Willow 2 soon.. see if we can squeeze Kilmer into any kind of armor.

3 Justin 3
09-05-2012, 03:13 PM
You guys do remember that it isn't just The Hobbit in these three movies right? It also contains a ton of stuff from the Appendices and original material written by Jackson and co. themselves.

Jacks
09-05-2012, 03:32 PM
I haven't read them in several years but weren't the appendices in the LOTR books?

The hobbit was a fairly short story. Unless they are planning on going into some of the background history before the Hobbit story took place that was detailed in the LOTR appendices, the Silmarillion, etc. That would be cool but it might be a little much to follow.

As for material written by Jackson, hopefully they keep that to a minimum.

Stay Golden
09-05-2012, 03:36 PM
Ditto.

We may well be sitting here in a few years being incredible thankful that he did it in three movies.

Sure, he'll earn a ton of extra money, but if we're graced with 3 unbelievable films, then we may be more than happy to pay for it.

I'm not worried, The Hobbit as a triology will be a masterpiece. Jackson has too much respect as a fan himself of Tolkien's work to make a mockery of it. I'm glad he didn't try to cram the entire book into 1 movie.
I personally can't wait to see the visualization of the journey through the Mirkwood forest on film.

Locke
09-05-2012, 03:39 PM
I'm not worried, The Hobbit will be a masterpiece. Jackson has too much respect as a fan himself of Tolkien's work to make a mockery of it.
I personally can't wait to see the visualization of the journey through the Mirkwood forest on film.

This is what I'm saying. Jackson has already shown that he'll stay true to the story and the vision and wont compromise for anything even if he has to buy New Zealand to do it.

He also probably has studio carte blanche, so hes not going to be forced to do anything stupid.

Stay Golden
09-05-2012, 03:51 PM
This is what I'm saying. Jackson has already shown that he'll stay true to the story and the vision and wont compromise for anything even if he has to buy New Zealand to do it.

He also probably has studio carte blanche, so hes not going to be forced to do anything stupid.

exactly why I agree :beer:.
Jackson is not going to sell out and have action, action action with little substance. This is going to be as what it should be, a cinematic complement to a legendary book.
Too many Tolkien fans on movie forums, unlike yourself are seriously worried that this is going to be stretched out to make 3 movies. Instead of realizing that by making 3 movies for the Hobbit that actually the story will be told properly.
The immaculate details that Tolkien's Hobbit was crafted will be equaled on film.
Cheers!

octothorp
09-05-2012, 04:03 PM
I haven't read them in several years but weren't the appendices in the LOTR books?

The hobbit was a fairly short story. Unless they are planning on going into some of the background history before the Hobbit story took place that was detailed in the LOTR appendices, the Silmarillion, etc. That would be cool but it might be a little much to follow.

As for material written by Jackson, hopefully they keep that to a minimum.

Yes, but the appendices described stuff that was going on around the time of the Hobbit (like what Gandalf was doing when he'd leave the dwarves for days at a time). It was this whole way that Tolkien integrated The Hobbit and LotR together.

Here's what I anticipate:

Start with Gandalf and the rest of the White Council. There were rumours of a nazgul in Dol Guldar, but Gandalf suspects that it is infact Sauron returned. This beginning allows the setting of the time and story in context of LotR. Gandalf goes to explore, and his suspicions are confirmed, he finds evidence of Sauron, but he also finds Thrain II imprisoned there. Before dying Thrain gives him the map and key for Erebor (Lonely Mountain).

Gandalf meets with the White Council again, they discuss the whole missing ring situation, and the problem that Sauron and Smaug could form a powerful allegiance. Gandalf's concerns are largely dismissed by Saruman.

Gandalf has a chance meeting with Thorin Oakenshield, shows him the map, and gives him the idea for the quest to reclaim Lonely Mountain.

Story of the Hobbit progresses pretty-much as told at this point. I'd expect the first movie to maybe end around the time that the eagles rescue the company from the Orcs and Wargs.

Second movie probably deals with the journey through typical hobbit plots of mirkwood, the elves, the lake-men, and Bilbo meeting Smaug. Smaug might be killed at the end of the second movie, or it might be left until the beginning of the third.

The second movie will probably also set up the White Council's attack on Dol Guldar. We'll probably see Saruman's motivations, which Gandalf isn't even aware of until Two Towers. The attack on Dol Guldar itself will probably be in whichever movie the death of Smaug is not in. If the attack on Dol Guldar ends the second, the fight with Smaug probably starts #3, and vice versa. I also suspect that Sauron will be present in some form when the attack on Dol Guldar happens (in the book, he had already withdrawn to Mordor).

Third movie will center on the events leading up-to and the resolution of the battle of the five armies, but it wouldn't surprise me if there was a footnote involving Gollum leaving the mountains to search for the ring, and Aragorn searching for Gollum.

Jacks
09-05-2012, 04:35 PM
Here's what I anticipate:

Start with Gandalf and the rest of the White Council. There were rumours of a nazgul in Dol Guldar, but Gandalf suspects that it is infact Sauron returned. This beginning allows the setting of the time and story in context of LotR. Gandalf goes to explore, and his suspicions are confirmed, he finds evidence of Sauron, but he also finds Thrain II imprisoned there. Before dying Thrain gives him the map and key for Erebor (Lonely Mountain).

Gandalf meets with the White Council again, they discuss the whole missing ring situation, and the problem that Sauron and Smaug could form a powerful allegiance. Gandalf's concerns are largely dismissed by Saruman.

Gandalf has a chance meeting with Thorin Oakenshield, shows him the map, and gives him the idea for the quest to reclaim Lonely Mountain.

Story of the Hobbit progresses pretty-much as told at this point. I'd expect the first movie to maybe end around the time that the eagles rescue the company from the Orcs and Wargs.

Second movie probably deals with the journey through typical hobbit plots of mirkwood, the elves, the lake-men, and Bilbo meeting Smaug. Smaug might be killed at the end of the second movie, or it might be left until the beginning of the third.

The second movie will probably also set up the White Council's attack on Dol Guldar. We'll probably see Saruman's motivations, which Gandalf isn't even aware of until Two Towers. The attack on Dol Guldar itself will probably be in whichever movie the death of Smaug is not in. If the attack on Dol Guldar ends the second, the fight with Smaug probably starts #3, and vice versa. I also suspect that Sauron will be present in some form when the attack on Dol Guldar happens (in the book, he had already withdrawn to Mordor).

Third movie will center on the events leading up-to and the resolution of the battle of the five armies, but it wouldn't surprise me if there was a footnote involving Gollum leaving the mountains to search for the ring, and Aragorn searching for Gollum.

I hope you are right, that would be a real bonus to the fans of the books. I'm not sure that they will go into that kind of detail personally. The LOTR movies skipped over some pretty big chunks of the story, especially the first book. I'm assuming that the movies will be very good regardless.

Bigtime
09-05-2012, 06:13 PM
I wonder if we'll get some story showing the fall of the dwarves in the mines of Moria?

Yeah_Baby
09-05-2012, 11:01 PM
I wonder if we'll get some story showing the fall of the dwarves in the mines of Moria?

And they call it a mine, a miiiiiine!

octothorp
09-05-2012, 11:56 PM

That would be awesome. Even though I feel like I have a pretty good handle on what's going to be in there, I hope Jackson's got a couple 'OMG, I can't believe we get to see this!' moments, like going back and showing Gandalf vs. Balrog in Two Towers.

edit: quoted the wrong post.

Wormius
09-07-2012, 01:03 PM
I didn't think the fall of the Dwarves in Moria was protrayed in the Hobbit, rather just them going through without any kind of foreshadowing. I could be wrong. It has been a while since I read the book.

I am not sure what people are saying about him staying true to the vision of the books, he did stray some in Fellowship of the Ring. And Two Towers and Return of the King seemed oriented on cinematography of grand battle scenes and swooping shots over New Zealand. I know that's exaggeration, but whenever I see that in a film, I think "why bother? that time could have been spent on story, not making me want to visit the sites of LoTR".

Ozy_Flame
09-07-2012, 03:10 PM
We need an Ent spin-off, and we need it to be an epic 9 hour trilogy, primarily of the Ents wavering in the wind and waking up once in a while to sneeze. And it better in HD.

troutman
09-07-2012, 03:31 PM
I didn't think the fall of the Dwarves in Moria was protrayed in the Hobbit, rather just them going through without any kind of foreshadowing. I could be wrong. It has been a while since I read the book.

I am not sure what people are saying about him staying true to the vision of the books, he did stray some in Fellowship of the Ring. And Two Towers and Return of the King seemed oriented on cinematography of grand battle scenes and swooping shots over New Zealand. I know that's exaggeration, but whenever I see that in a film, I think "why bother? that time could have been spent on story, not making me want to visit the sites of LoTR".

I'm not sure if you are confusing Goblin-town with Moria?

http://lotr.wikia.com/wiki/Goblin-town

Bigtime
09-07-2012, 04:01 PM
I believe he is, they do not travel through the mines of Moria in the Hobbit.

MissTeeks
09-10-2012, 02:47 PM
16 new stills out:

http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2012/09/08/61652-sixteeen-all-new-hobbit-stills/

13 portraits as well:

http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2012/09/08/61675-thirteen-new-portrait-photos-from-the-hobbit/

MissTeeks
09-17-2012, 10:05 AM
New trailer is being released on Wednesday in honour of Tolkien week:

http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2012/09/16/61831-peter-jackson-kicks-off-tolkien-week/

KTrain
09-19-2012, 09:11 AM
New trailer is up and it looks good.

7fNZRlbkLO8

GreenLantern
09-19-2012, 10:25 AM
Looks to be as epic, if not more epic, than the Rings trilogy.

octothorp
09-19-2012, 12:36 PM
Well, even though it's just a trailer, it looks like they absolutely nailed the tone. Adventure, humour, and a bit of foreboding about what lies ahead. Of course, the tone in this one should be lighter than the next two, just as Fellowship was much lighter than the 2nd and 3rd of that trilogy.
Also cool to get a glimpse of Radagast here, but was that a sled pulled by giant rabbits?

Locke
09-19-2012, 01:08 PM
Wow. That. Looks. Awesome.

troutman
09-19-2012, 01:11 PM
Also cool to get a glimpse of Radagast here, but was that a sled pulled by giant rabbits?

Maybe. Could be the rabbits also live with Beorn, the Were-Bear?

GreenLantern
09-19-2012, 01:18 PM
It seems weird that Radagast has even a part in this movie, wasn't he only mentioned in The Hobbit? This is maybe making up for him being cut out of LOTR? Either way I am happy I always found him to be an intriguing character.

I think I am going to re read The Hobbit before this movie, its been too many years.

Stay Golden
09-19-2012, 07:08 PM
this is the most anticipated movie of the year for me anyways.

MissTeeks
09-20-2012, 04:47 PM
If you watch it on The Hobbit official website, you can watch the trailer with 5 different endings:

http://www.thehobbit.com/index.html#content=choose-your-moment

MissTeeks
09-27-2012, 11:31 AM
New posters:

http://i732.photobucket.com/albums/ww327/missteeks/bilbo.jpg

http://i732.photobucket.com/albums/ww327/missteeks/dwarves.jpg

HPLovecraft
09-27-2012, 12:59 PM
Two pretty different tones being expressed between those two posters.

Coach
09-27-2012, 01:22 PM
The dwarf on the bottom right looks like he's giving an "Ehhhhhhh!" ala The Fonz

Yeah_Baby
09-27-2012, 02:59 PM
Two pretty different tones being expressed between those two posters.

It depends which Dwarf you're looking at. Thorin seems pretty serious.

Azure
09-27-2012, 03:07 PM
I don't think Richard Armitage is capable of looking anything but serious.

octothorp
09-27-2012, 04:10 PM
I've said it before, but I think the art direction on the dwarves is brilliant. This was one of my big fears, that a cast of 13 dwarves would end up looking like 13 Gimlis. They've done a great job of creating a bunch of different looks that really capture and differentiate the personality of each dwarf. They also seem to be very well-cast, but it's hard to tell from the relatively short clips that we've seen.

MissTeeks
09-27-2012, 04:31 PM
Aidan Turner really stands out, he's too good looking to be a dwarf!

FlameOn
09-28-2012, 08:09 AM
Surprised this never got posted
AGF5ROpjRAU

TurnedTheCorner
09-29-2012, 07:28 PM
I have never read any of the LOTR books, and I have never read The Hobbit. The LOTR movies were a spectacular achievement and were truly enjoyable and memorable. I am not getting the same vibe from the trailers and materials for the Hobbit I have seen so far.