PDA

View Full Version : The Killing-New AMC Show

Pages : [1] 2

VANFLAMESFAN
04-05-2011, 01:21 AM
Just finished watching the two hour premiere of the Killing and thought if there werr any other people who watched it, discussion about it could be fun.

Given AMC's track record for quality (Breaking BAd, Mad Men, Walking Dead and Rubicon are all top notch shows IMO), I had to give it a go. I'm not usually a murder mystery guy, I find most cliche and but this one COULD be different.

I liked the premiere, definitely had me intrigued the whole time and this show has some promise. It looks like a show that will keep you guessing every damn episode and may get frustrating because it's gonna take 13 episodes to solve.

For those who don't know the show I am talking about. Here's the trailer:

u9av38iK_Y0

Anyone else watch the premiere?? What did you think??

getbak
04-05-2011, 02:20 AM
I liked it. It started out a little slow, but picked up a lot faster than Rubicon did (did Rubicon ever really "pick up"?).

I thought it felt a lot like Twin Peaks if it had been done by a normal person and not David Lynch.

The Pacific Northwest region is perfectly suited to a murder mystery, although, I was taken out of it briefly because the Councilman's office is in the Vancouver Convention Centre (I've never been there, but they showed it enough during the Olympics).

Solid acting, although, the female cop was a little wooden. I wasn't sure if that was the actress or her character.

The parents of the murdered girl were pretty much the only actors I recognized from other shows, and I think this is the first thing since Deadwood I've seen the father in where he wasn't playing a cop (and even there, he was running for Sheriff), and I don't think I've ever seen Michelle Forbes play a character who wasn't a totally in control bad-ass. This should be a good role for her.

No spoilers because this is based on nothing at all...

Here's my completely off-the-wall guess right now for what happened: She was running away from the person who raped her and climbed into the trunk of the car to hide, then someone from the councilman's campaign was trying to cover up something completely unrelated by disposing of the car in the lake. Wrong place-wrong time for the girl, but still two crimes for the cops to piece together: The rape and whatever shady stuff the councilman's campaign people were up to.

Timbo
04-05-2011, 08:51 AM
Looks like a good ole fashioned "Who Done It". Acting was very good yet I agree with getbak's assessment of the Female Detective.

HD quality is lacking IMO but that might be more for mood.

This show based on the pilot gets the PVR treatment.

HPLovecraft
04-05-2011, 08:56 AM
I like the way the lead female cop doesn't look like a super model that got lost on her way to a beautiful people only party but ended up in the middle of crime scene, instead. Much better for my suspension of disbelief.

Parallex
04-05-2011, 09:27 AM
I thought it felt a lot like Twin Peaks if it had been done by a normal person and not David Lynch.

LOL! I said that exact thing (word for word) to Mrs. Parallex after watching it.

I liked it a lot... when did AMC move from showing Back to the Future and John Wayne spaggehti westerns 18000 times a year to producing the best shows on TV (Outside of HBO?)?

malcolmk14
04-05-2011, 10:28 AM
I wasn't hooked after the first 45 minutes, but the last 15 minutes of the pilot and the entire second episode were excellent.

underGRADFlame
04-05-2011, 10:38 AM
The wife and I really enjoyed it too. I hope they can keep it up for the whole season. AMC is awesome, Breaking Bad, Walking Dead, Mad Men now the Killing. Awesome awesome awesome!

On a side note AMC will be running Breaking Bad from the beginning Wednesday nights 2 episodes per week. My PVR is set for it.

bosox_fan05
04-05-2011, 11:46 AM
I thought it was really good. The actors who played the parents of the girl did a great job I thought. The main character was also really good. She was a bit stoic, but I thought it played off of her excitable sidekick well. The sidekick was really annoying at first, but it seems like he's going to be a good character.

I'm looking forward to the next episode. I just hope the killer isn't the politician.

KTrain
04-05-2011, 11:54 AM
I liked it a lot. I don't watch a lot of crime dramas but so far this one is pretty good.

I thought the female cop looked a little like an older, no-make-up Hillary Duff.

VANFLAMESFAN
04-05-2011, 02:14 PM
I liked it a lot... when did AMC move from showing Back to the Future and John Wayne spaggehti westerns 18000 times a year to producing the best shows on TV (Outside of HBO?)?

AMC: Mad Men, Breaking Bad, Walking Dead, The Killing

HBO: True Blood, Curb, Entourage, Boardwalk Empire, Big Love, Hung, Treme

In terms of quality, i'll take AMC in a heartbeat.

When HBO had Sopranos, Wire, Six Feet Under, Curb, Sex and the City, Deadwood, Rome.........they just couldn't be touched. Not anymore.

VANFLAMESFAN
04-05-2011, 02:17 PM
Oh, and after the pilot of the Killing. I'm calling it right now, the teacher is involved in a shady way and might be the killer.

Parallex
04-05-2011, 03:09 PM
HBO: True Blood

Any show that frequently has a naked Anna Paquin is a-ok in my book.

When HBO had Sopranos, Wire, Six Feet Under, Curb, Sex and the City, Deadwood, Rome.........they just couldn't be touched. Not anymore.

Yeah, I was giving them some retroactive credit for all those shows (except Sex in the City... but then I'm not the target demographic for that show). I personally think The Wire is one of if not the best TV show ever made.

Parallex
04-05-2011, 03:15 PM
Oh, and after the pilot of the Killing. I'm calling it right now, the teacher is involved in a shady way and might be the killer.

Shady way fo' so, prolly hittin' that... I don't think he's the killer though. I'm thinking the female campaign manager.

HotHotHeat
04-05-2011, 03:21 PM
The teacher is the only obvious connection at this point, and it seems like the sort of show that would introduce the killer at the beginning.

I struggled a bit to get through the premier, watched it over about 3 nights to be honest, but it will be a good show.

No hot girls in the show though.

Table 5
04-05-2011, 03:23 PM
Started off a little slow, but I'll give it another week. The gf seems to like it though, I could've used a little more stuff happening.

The non-stop constant rain was also a little annoying.

Parallex
04-05-2011, 03:34 PM
The teacher is the only obvious connection at this point

One theory I have is that Mother finds out daughter isn't where she said she'd be, discovers daughter diddling teacher in the basement, freaks out and accidentially kills daughter... only problem is that there is no connection to the campaign car.

wildflames
04-05-2011, 03:38 PM
I think it's pretty awesome that a show this well made and well acted is shot in Vancouver. Not very often does this city get really good projects like this.

The show gave off a 'Silence of the Lambs' vibe to me which I totally loved. The characters are all very real, none of that superficial junk you see nowadays on most television shows. Excited to see more!

Crazy Bacon Legs
04-05-2011, 03:41 PM
I'll have to see when they're rebroadcasting the pilot. I assume they will; they tend to rebroadcast the original series multiple times, right?

Did this just air last night?

VANFLAMESFAN
04-05-2011, 03:44 PM
There's a replay of it on Thursday night at 6pm Pacific time.

It also replay Sunday at 5pm PST before the new episode airs at 7.

getbak
04-05-2011, 04:27 PM
The non-stop constant rain was also a little annoying.
Well, it is shot in Vancouver.

The show is based on a Danish show that aired in 2007. From people who've seen the original, the first episode was pretty much a shot-for-shot remake of the first 2 episodes of the Danish show.

Parallex
04-05-2011, 04:36 PM
The show is based on a Danish show that aired in 2007. From people who've seen the original, the first episode was pretty much a shot-for-shot remake of the first 2 episodes of the Danish show.

I'm trying to avoid reading about the Danish version... not much entertainment value in a whodunit when you know whodunit.

VANFLAMESFAN
04-05-2011, 05:41 PM
Well, it is shot in Vancouver.

And it rains like that everyday in Vancouver. Maybe even worse.

Table 5
04-05-2011, 05:45 PM
Most of the shots felt like the crew was pouring continuos buckets of water from above. Maybe I need to reevaluate what the weather in Vancouver is like, but it seemed like overkill even for BC.

Crazy Bacon Legs
04-05-2011, 06:07 PM
If I can make it, I can bring my cowbell. Or will there be enough noise there already?

Mike F
04-05-2011, 06:31 PM
Liked everything about the show except the Stephen Holder character (the male detective).

Guy was a cheap knock-off of Brad Pitt's character from Seven, except with a giant helping of smarmy, juvenile d**chiness smeared on top. Many of the scenes and themes were straight out of Seven - young replacement coming into the retiring detective's office while she was still packing, chatterting away at the crime scene while the experienced detective quietly surveys the scene, the scene where the camera pans between the two detectives interviewing in separate rooms, etc.

Still, I really liked the writing for all of the other characters (huge leaps forward from Walking Dead) and am excited to see where the plot is going.

Mike F
04-05-2011, 06:32 PM
Most of the shots felt like the crew was pouring continuos buckets of water from above. Maybe I need to reevaluate what the weather in Vancouver is like, but it seemed like overkill even for BC.
Nope, that's Vancouver in virtually all seasons but summer.

VANFLAMESFAN
04-05-2011, 08:47 PM
Nope, that's Vancouver in virtually all seasons but summer.

Nope, even in the summer, it rains like that. EVERY SINGLE DAY.

Mike F
04-05-2011, 08:54 PM
Not to derail, but I lived in Vancouver for 9 years. It's one of the nicest cities in the world in the summer, with most days being rain free (http://www.climate.weatheroffice.gc.ca/climate_normals/results_e.html?Province=ALL&StationName=vancouver&SearchType=BeginsWith&LocateBy=Province&Proximity=25&ProximityFrom=City&StationNumber=&IDType=MSC&CityName=&ParkName=&LatitudeDegrees=&LatitudeMinutes=&LongitudeDegrees=&LongitudeMinutes=&NormalsClass=A&SelNormals=&StnId=903&).

VANFLAMESFAN
04-05-2011, 09:07 PM
Not to derail, but I lived in Vancouver for 9 years. It's one of the nicest cities in the world in the summer, with most days being rain free (http://www.climate.weatheroffice.gc.ca/climate_normals/results_e.html?Province=ALL&StationName=vancouver&SearchType=BeginsWith&LocateBy=Province&Proximity=25&ProximityFrom=City&StationNumber=&IDType=MSC&CityName=&ParkName=&LatitudeDegrees=&LatitudeMinutes=&LongitudeDegrees=&LongitudeMinutes=&NormalsClass=A&SelNormals=&StnId=903&).

And as those charts tell you, plenty of fine days in other seasons as well. And if you get a sprinkle here or there, what's the big deal. It never rains that hard in Vancouver as the scene under the bridge showed. That was ridiculous overkill.

But this is not a weather thread.........

Ark2
04-05-2011, 09:13 PM
I was going to check this show out, but if they can't even realistically stage the weather, then I'm out. Sorry.

VANFLAMESFAN
04-05-2011, 09:19 PM
I was going to check this show out, but if they can't even realistically stage the weather, then I'm out. Sorry.

Huh?? You're not going to check out a show that you are interested in because a couple people on a message board say there's a bit too much rain in Seattle?? I could understand if they had 40 degrees and sunny in Seattle in the winter or something, but a little overkill of rain and you're out?? No one in this thread who complained about the rain(myself included) said it was stupid or took away from the story or anything like that. It's just something that we noticed and found a little silly. But give up on a show because of rain overkill?? What's the matter with you??

Seriously??

Ark2
04-05-2011, 09:21 PM
^ lol

I'm downloading it right now. It was a joke

VANFLAMESFAN
04-05-2011, 09:24 PM
^ lol

I'm downloading it right now. It was a joke

Totally thought you were serious. My bad.

TylerSVT
04-05-2011, 09:30 PM
Looks like a good show, but one i dont think i could wait to watch. Ill probably wait until the first season is over and then DL the whole thing and watch it in chunks.

Is it a show or a miniseries? It would suck if it was a show that never ended and you never figured out what happens until the last episode.

Ark2
04-05-2011, 10:24 PM
Here's my completely off-the-wall guess right now for what happened: She was running away from the person who raped her and climbed into the trunk of the car to hide, then someone from the councilman's campaign was trying to cover up something completely unrelated by disposing of the car in the lake. Wrong place-wrong time for the girl, but still two crimes for the cops to piece together: The rape and whatever shady stuff the councilman's campaign people were up to.

Looked like she was tied up when they found her, so no chance of that.

d_phaneuf
04-06-2011, 12:30 AM
I watched it tonight, I was happy I watched the first two back to back because the first hour didn't really do it for me, but the 2nd hour was great and I am very excited to see where the series can go

MacGruber
04-08-2011, 02:20 PM
wow. stan was amazing, rosies dad. what a great written 1st 2 shows. and wonderfuly acted. the writers took the time to make you like the dad, and then make you watch him get crushed in the worst way. amazing.

Russic
04-08-2011, 02:29 PM
Just a heads up... the first two episodes are available for free and in HD on iTunes.

MoneyGuy
04-08-2011, 03:20 PM
I'll be checking this series out. Hey, does anyone watch MI-% and what do you think? Is it good and is it the kind of series that has to be watched in order or does each program stand independently on its own?

metallicat
04-17-2011, 11:26 PM
Fantastic show so far. Tonight's episode was creepy at the end.

This show has a very Mystic River feel to it. If I didn't know better, I'd guess that Clint Eastwood was involved somehow.

Saint Troy
04-18-2011, 09:08 AM
Excellent so far, pretty brutal to watch the parents go through hell though.

Professor Successor
04-18-2011, 10:26 AM
I've got nothing to really add here, other than another voice speaking to the quality of this show and AMC in general. Missed the episode last night, but even with a slightly slow first 45 minutes, I really like the pacing and characters are thus far very well written. I'm curious to see where this will go and what they do for a second season if it gets renewed.

Ark2
04-18-2011, 02:28 PM
I thought that the premiere was great, but the last two episodes have been pretty weak imo. The way they explained the video was ridiculous.

So it wasn't Rosie getting tag teamed in that video at all, it was her friend, Sterling. For some reason, Rosie just decided to give Sterling her costume so it appeared to be her (why, exactly?). The blood was explained by a "really bad noise bleed" that Sterling got, and for some reason, the cops didn't bother to try and match Rosie's finger prints with the bloody hand print left on the wall in "the cage". Riiight

I really hope that they don't keep trying to mislead you with who the killer is at the end of each episode, then give some flimsy excuse as to why it isn't the person that they hinted at in the next episode. Adding twists for the sake of adding twists just results in a lousy plot.

Scrollbar
04-18-2011, 02:41 PM
I caught up on the episodes this morning, and really liked it so far. A great mystery so far.

VANFLAMESFAN
04-19-2011, 03:08 AM
Finished watching this past Sunday's episode. My original prediction of the teacher doing it is out the window. Would be too obvious now.

I went on AMC's website to take a look at the suspect tracker they have been promoting after each episode. The AMC public thinks it's the teacher. But on that site, they fail to list Linden as a suspect. Any chance she did it?? Would seem pretty silly, but who knows.

Digging the show, love the mood of it all. Very fitting.

VANFLAMESFAN
05-30-2011, 12:22 AM
After a few relatively slow episodes, I thought tonight's was pretty intense and well acted as well.

I don't love the show, but it's not a bad hour to spend on a Sunday night.

The one thing I didn't like about tonight's episode was how after all the uncertainty about this Adela thing and she just happens to stumble across the key to the case while she's out for her morning jog?? Please. Would have liked them to find it out a different way, but I guess if that's my only real complaint, it's not a bad show at all.

3 more episodes left.

metallicat
06-05-2011, 10:17 PM
What a waste of an episode that was. Wow. Three episodes left, and they blow an entire one on Linden's kid?

getbak
06-05-2011, 10:39 PM
This show gets more disappointing by the week.

I don't care how bad your relationship with your ex is, if your child had disappeared, wouldn't one of the first calls you make be to the kid's father?

VANFLAMESFAN
06-06-2011, 02:54 AM
Am I the only one who liked the episode?? I thought it was great, and well acted by the two of them.

If you think that episode was just about the disappearance of Linden's kid, you need to dig a little deeper and re think it.

Barnes
06-06-2011, 07:02 AM
It was a filler episode that feels like it was filmed after AMC execs watched the series and said we need one more but we don't want to pay all the actors.

Table 5
06-06-2011, 07:52 AM
That was a horribly slow and painful episode to watch. I really hope it ties into the major story line, because otherwise it was a total waste.

d_phaneuf
06-06-2011, 08:11 AM
It was a filler episode that feels like it was filmed after AMC execs watched the series and said we need one more but we don't want to pay all the actors.

all the AMC shows seem to need a 'bottle' episode where none of the supporting cast are really in it so they can save money

it can either be great, like last seasons episode of breaking bad with the fly

or it can be this

just show the damn killer all ready, that's all I care for

Machiavelli
06-06-2011, 10:38 AM
If you think that episode was just about the disappearance of Linden's kid, you need to dig a little deeper and re think it.

Then enlighten us, oh deep one.

Kybosh
06-06-2011, 10:41 AM
Yesterday's episode felt like it added nothing to the plot. Rounded out the two detectives a bit more but nothing amazing. The two episodes prior, however, were great. I foresee a very suspenseful end of the season.

old-fart
06-06-2011, 12:49 PM
Ya, I forgot this was on last night (luckily I had the PVR set) then, just about to fall asleep I remembered. PVR'd my way throught it and at the end thought WTF was that...

Perhaps I was just a bit too tired, but really it felt like a "so what" episode to me.

VANFLAMESFAN
06-06-2011, 01:40 PM
Then enlighten us, oh deep one.

Not with that attitude.

Yasa
06-06-2011, 01:54 PM
Am I the only one who liked the episode?? I thought it was great, and well acted by the two of them.

I really enjoyed it. It's not abnormal for TV series to have episodes like this. Breaking Bad had the episode where Walt was trying to kill the fly. This was about Linden looking for her son.

You actually learn a lot about Linden and Holder, and their relationship with other characters. It also helped develop the partnership between the 2.

Like I said; I enjoyed it, but it wasn't for everyone.

Barnes
06-06-2011, 02:01 PM
It sets up the final few episodes simply because Linden now trust him and they can act like true partners.

It was a pretty good episode but really points out AMCs cheapness. The overall story suffered.

VANFLAMESFAN
06-06-2011, 02:27 PM
Maybe I'm the only one that drew the connection to what Linden was going thru to what the Larsen's and every other victim's families go thru. That's what I thought the episode was truly about on top of the building of their relationship. Linden has first hand experience what it's like to be a parent of a missing kid, and then at the end, she thought she lost him. It was pretty powerful stuff IMO. And maybe after this horrible experience, she will finally get over the last hump and find out who killed Rosie Larsen.

Yes, the story didn't progress at all, but that's fine. I liked the change of this episode. We all know the killer won't be revealed till the end of the season, so why not change it up and dig deeper into the characters.

As an one-off, I really liked last night's episode.

Addick
06-06-2011, 02:39 PM
It sets up the final few episodes simply because Linden now trust him and they can act like true partners.

It was a pretty good episode but really points out AMCs cheapness. The overall story suffered.

In some books, the author will devote a chapter or two to a tangent that will help develop the character. Last night's episode had that feel to it and made me wonder if the original Danish series was based off of a book. I didn't mind it at all but I can enjoy the non-intensive process of learning about someone and how they've become what they are.

Ark2
06-11-2011, 01:30 PM
This show would have been much better served as an 8 part mini series. It is just getting stretched way too thin and we are left with pointless episodes like this one. Every week I find myself more and more disappointed with this show. What a waste.

metallicat
06-11-2011, 02:12 PM
Well it has two episodes left, so it's not yet a complete write-off. The main storyline is compelling and interesting, and I want to see who actually killed her. I hope I'm not disappointed by the ending.

Bent Wookie
06-11-2011, 05:12 PM
Wow, you guys are really hard on a show for one bad episode.

I have really enjoyed the series with the exception of that episode- the ambiance is what makes it for me.

nik-
06-12-2011, 09:04 PM
Yup, amazing how entertaining a show can be when they try some plot advancement.

Mike F
06-12-2011, 09:17 PM
I hate that there was no slow, systematic unraveling of the killer's identity. Just red herring after red herring then, bam, out of left field, it was HIM!!!!!!

Table 5
06-12-2011, 09:20 PM
Now THAT'S an episode!

nik-
06-12-2011, 09:22 PM
I hate that there was no slow, systematic unraveling of the killer's identity. Just red herring after red herring then, bam, out of left field, it was HIM!!!!!!

Yeah, the show's been pretty poor. The email chime at the end though was some great TV.

Rubicon was better than this one imo, so I doubt this one lasts another season.

Table 5
06-12-2011, 09:24 PM

Doesn't necessarily mean he's the killer. I assume there's still as surprise or two left.

Mike F
06-12-2011, 09:26 PM
Yeah, the show's been pretty poor. The email chime at the end though was some great TV.

The episode was good, but it made a farce of the whole series, IMO.

Agree about Rubicon -- loved that show and was hugely disappointed it didn't get picked up.

Mike F
06-12-2011, 09:27 PM
Doesn't necessarily mean he's the killer. I assume there's still as surprise or two left.
Even if it's not him (though I think it will be given the emails, pictures, info from the call girl and Clinton/Lewinski video evidence), whomever it is will still be out of left field, so my criticism will apply.

Edit: after further thought, I could see it being the billionaire not him, though, as I said, it will still be a surprise reveal that had no logical build up from earlier in the series

VANFLAMESFAN
06-12-2011, 09:56 PM

Rubicon was a far better show, but wasn't fan friendly and didn't get the ratins and that's why it didn't get picked up. The Killing is a far easier premise to follow and the ratings have been a lot better. There will be another season.

metallicat
06-12-2011, 10:00 PM
Rubicon got too complicated (at least it did for me). I still don't know what was going on in that show.

Seems pretty damning to Richmond. If it's not him afterall, I'm not sure how they're going to explain all this supposed evidence. Next week is the finale, right?

old-fart
06-12-2011, 11:53 PM
I'm betting on Richmonds weasley short sidekick guy or the chick that was sleeping with him. In other words, one of his campaign flunkies trying to cover it up.

Table 5
06-13-2011, 07:25 AM
Why does having clues to who the killer is from the start make it better? Is that realistic?

Yeah, I'm not sure why every show has to follow some magic formula. I actually really liked the fact that it was such a surprise and came on so suddenly...it gave the show a shake.

KTrain
06-13-2011, 11:19 AM
It can't be the Rocketeer.

getbak
06-14-2011, 08:48 AM
AMC announced on Monday that the series has been renewed for a second season of 13 episodes. Apparently, it's been pulling similar ratings as Mad Men.

At this point, I don't know if I'll be back for season 2.

metallicat
06-14-2011, 10:37 AM
AMC is hit and miss for me. I didn't really lime Rubicon, not a fan of Mad Men, but I like Breaking Bad, the Walking Dead, and sort of like the Killing.

Parallex
06-14-2011, 11:34 AM
Seems pretty damning to Richmond. If it's not him afterall, I'm not sure how they're going to explain all this supposed evidence. Next week is the finale, right?

Yes. Sunday is the finale

People it could be other then Richmond...

A: Blond campaign flunky he's sleeping with (kills Rosie in a jealous rage)
B: Sneaky campaign flunky (Wants to win so badly he kills the teenager he's sleeping with to prevent it getting out)
C: The Mayor (You know the old prase about being being caught with a live boy or a dead girl... he, or a minion, steals a Richmond campaign car and put here in there to kill Richmonds campaign with a dead girl)

... I think Richmond is a red-herring. I mean what's his motive?... Cover-up the relationship (If any)? Why kill her and leave the others? Crime of passion? Not with the reveal of the prostitute he mentioned drowning to. Budding seriel killer? Possible but that's kind of lazy storytelling.

getbak
06-14-2011, 11:55 AM
Do we know how Richmond's wife died?

I'm thinking she drowned somehow. Then, when he was with the prostitutes, he would choose women who looked like his wife and try to relive his time with her.

The girl who posted the warning said that he was a nice guy until he started asking her about drowning, which was when it got creepy. So, if he's going on these "dates" to try to resurrect his wife, he eventually remembers that he's not with his wife, and he turns wistful and starts thinking about her and how she died.

I'm also thinking that Richmond is one final red herring, and it will turn out to be either the female campaign advisor, or the male campaign weasel who killed Rosie, either out of jealousy, or because Rosie was threatening to go public with information about the Beau Soleil.

I also think it could turn out that Rosie wasn't actually working for the Beau Soleil, but she found out that her aunt was, and she was blackmailing the Richmond campaign to keep it a secret.

metallicat
06-14-2011, 12:34 PM
Did the photos they showed of Richmonds wife look like Rosie at all? I like your theory.

Eastern Girl
06-14-2011, 12:42 PM
I thought Richmonds wife died after being hit by a drunk driver?

I had a feeling that the Aunt was hiding something after Rosie's funeral, when they were back at the house and people were greeting them. The dad of Rosie's rich ex was there and she seemed to expect some sort of reaction from him and was hurt when he just blew her off. They never really addressed that though. I imagine that he was perhaps one of her dates.

Also, what's going on with the guy in the hospital? He's still hanging in there then?

I could have used a few more episodes frankly to hash some of this stuff out.

Badgers Nose
06-14-2011, 12:50 PM
Do we know how Richmond's wife died?

I'm thinking she drowned somehow. Then, when he was with the prostitutes, he would choose women who looked like his wife and try to relive his time with her.

The girl who posted the warning said that he was a nice guy until he started asking her about drowning, which was when it got creepy. So, if he's going on these "dates" to try to resurrect his wife, he eventually remembers that he's not with his wife, and he turns wistful and starts thinking about her and how she died.

I'm also thinking that Richmond is one final red herring, and it will turn out to be either the female campaign advisor, or the male campaign weasel who killed Rosie, either out of jealousy, or because Rosie was threatening to go public with information about the Beau Soleil.

I also think it could turn out that Rosie wasn't actually working for the Beau Soleil, but she found out that her aunt was, and she was blackmailing the Richmond campaign to keep it a secret.

Good theories - same as my wife's.

IMO Richmond is too obvious - I agree that he is a red herring. I don't think it is Drexler either.

Re: Campaign Team - Killing a little girl out of jealousy or to keep her quiet does not fit those characters. They would risk more in a campaign by killing her. And blondie does not seem like the raging type.

Maybe her dad the Senator could do something like that? But that is a stretch.

I think the Greek mafia will play into this. Maybe they run the Beau Soleil and Rosie stumbled into something she shouldn't have.

Love this show.

Barnes
06-14-2011, 04:54 PM
I also think Rosie got the 7g's by blackmailing Richmond. The blond dude in his campaign killed her to keep her quiet.

GGG
06-14-2011, 08:56 PM
I have had the Current Mayor from the first show so I am sticking with him setting up Richmond.

I like the show but what bugs me about it is the Red Herring to Red Herring nature without really forshadowing who the actual killer is. Really before this episode we had as much info on who the actual killer was then we had after the first episode.

Maybe it is supposed to simulate a police investigation where they go from one suspect to the next but it seems like a very linear way of story telling. Instead of the plot going its the kids, its richmond, its the teacher, its the muslim, its the employee I would perfer the cops slowly found evidence for all the suspects and narrowed from there from episode to episode. More of a multi-pronged approach then what they do.

It is a subtle difference but it would allow for a more fufilling discussion of who did it then the current format allows where the keep walloping us with new evidence and twists every episode.

All that said I do really enjoy the show.

Ark2
06-14-2011, 09:04 PM
I have had the Current Mayor from the first show so I am sticking with him setting up Richmond.

I like the show but what bugs me about it is the Red Herring to Red Herring nature without really forshadowing who the actual killer is. Really before this episode we had as much info on who the actual killer was then we had after the first episode.

Maybe it is supposed to simulate a police investigation where they go from one suspect to the next but it seems like a very linear way of story telling. Instead of the plot going its the kids, its richmond, its the teacher, its the muslim, its the employee I would perfer the cops slowly found evidence for all the suspects and narrowed from there from episode to episode. More of a multi-pronged approach then what they do.

It is a subtle difference but it would allow for a more fufilling discussion of who did it then the current format allows where the keep walloping us with new evidence and twists every episode.

I agree with this. I think the writing is really wasting some very good acting performances from the cast. The basic formula has been, follow a lead for 1 and a half episodes, then have it completely explained away by some ridiculous and far fetched coincidence, then begin new lead. Maybe it's because I watched The Wire, but I just expect some realism from a show like this.

GGG
06-14-2011, 09:07 PM
I agree with this. I think the writing is really wasting some very good acting performances from the cast. The basic formula has been, follow a lead for 1 and a half episodes, then have it completely explained away by some ridiculous and far fetched coincidence, then begin new lead. Maybe it's because I watched The Wire, but I just expect some realism from a show like this.

The acting is why I keep coming back to the show.

I really like the two cops, Richmond, and the slimy campaign guy.

Saint Troy
06-14-2011, 10:20 PM
Cool episode, didn't hate last week but thought it seemed out of place. Nevertheless I need to know what went down, and the acting has been solid, so I'm in for the long haul now.

getbak
06-14-2011, 10:33 PM
I think last week's episode would have worked better if it had been a lot earlier in the season.

To me, the overall pacing of the story has been the big drawback of the series. Too much time was spent chasing the leads on the teacher, which ended up going nowhere, and now they're into the final episodes and the case finally comes together.

It reminds me of when I was in school and had to write an essay in English or Social on the final exam, and I'd start writing and be very verbose and go into a lot of detail setting up the essay, then I'd look at the clock and realize time was running out and I had better get to my point before I ran out of time, and I'd end up rushing through the actual important parts to get done.

The original Danish series was 20 episodes long, so I wonder if the American show-runners tried to copy it too closely without properly adjusting for having 7 fewer episodes to work with?

HPLovecraft
06-19-2011, 09:05 AM
Say what you want about the Killing, but this show has a knack for making kick-ass cliffhanger episode endings.

Ark2
06-19-2011, 09:58 AM
Say what you want about the Killing, but this show has a knack for making kick-ass cliffhanger episode endings.

So does True Blood. Doesn't make it a good show.

HPLovecraft
06-19-2011, 10:02 AM
So does True Blood. Doesn't make it a good show.

Did I say it did?

nik-
06-19-2011, 11:39 AM

Kick ass? They're cheap cliffhanger endings because for several of these episodes there is little to no plot advancement and then at the end of the episode they do 5 minutes of the story into a cliffhanger.

There is nothing about that that is "kick-ass"

Ark2
06-19-2011, 01:04 PM
Kick ass? They're cheap cliffhanger endings because for several of these episodes there is little to no plot advancement and then at the end of the episode they do 5 minutes of the story into a cliffhanger.

Agreed. Especially when in the very next episode, the previous episode's cliff hanger is foiled and becomes nothing significant.

Eastern Girl
06-19-2011, 01:26 PM
But isn't this how actual cases tend to churn out? I haven't investigated too many murder cases myself, but isn't that how they go about it, following whatever leads they get? Sometimes it takes them to more tips, sometimes they don't pan out, many people are suspects and methodically ruled out, as they gain more evidence.

That's what they have done and I've been enjoying it. Like I said earlier, I could have used another couple episodes just to hash out some of the things they've brought up and seemingly glossed over, but otherwise, I think it's been a strong season.

Will we actually find out who the killer is tonight? Or is this going to go into next season? Assuming there is another.

metallicat
06-19-2011, 01:58 PM
If this continues on into next season and they don't reveal the killer, I am not watching anymore. Take that AMC!

HPLovecraft
06-19-2011, 02:19 PM

I'm not talking about the rest of the episode, I'm talking about the scenes that compose the endings of them, which, yes, are exciting and kick-ass. The good music helps, too.

If you didn't find last episode's e-mail chimes an exciting end to the episode, I'm not sure what to say. Or the beating of Bennett in the rain with Ratboy punching the rock, even though it ultimately led to a dead end, is, still, a hell of an ending to an episode. Amongst many others.

nik-
06-19-2011, 02:26 PM
I'm not talking about the rest of the episode, I'm talking about the scenes that compose the endings of them, which, yes, are exciting and kick-ass. The good music helps, too.

If you didn't find last episode's e-mail chimes an exciting end to the episode, I'm not sure what to say. Or the beating of Bennett in the rain with Ratboy punching the rock, even though it ultimately led to a dead end, is, still, a hell of an ending to an episode. Amongst many others.

I can't just compartmentalize a single scene like that and ignore the build-up to it when the scene is supposed to be a result of what's happening in a story. Last weeks scene was great, but the episode overall was much better than normal so you have this good episode unravelling plot and then ending on this suspenseful note. When it's a BS episode and then they toss the cliffhanger at the end, it's not entertaining, it's annoying and sort of lazy.

I mean there's no right and wrong here, if you're enjoying it, then it's working for you and it's successful. I just hate when shows pull this crap.

HPLovecraft
06-19-2011, 02:33 PM
I can't just compartmentalize a single scene like that and ignore the build-up to it when the scene is supposed to be a result of what's happening in a story. Last weeks scene was great, but the episode overall was much better than normal so you have this good episode unravelling plot and then ending on this suspenseful note. When it's a BS episode and then they toss the cliffhanger at the end, it's not entertaining, it's annoying and sort of lazy.

I mean there's no right and wrong here, if you're enjoying it, then it's working for you and it's successful. I just hate when shows pull this crap.

Meh, each their own, I guess, but I can still appreciate good scenes in the midst of a crappy TV show or movie. I hated Jurassic Park 2, but that scene where the T-Rex parents attack the research vehicles and the bald guy is trying to haul them up with the chain in the middle of it all was kick-ass. Rest of the movie, not so much (and, oddly enough, that movie also has one of my most hated and despised scenes on film - that little kid defeating the raptor with those stupid gymnastic flips). The Phantom Menace was an annoying POS, but the Darth Maul fight scenes were kick-ass. Doesn't mean I'm a fan of the work, though.

Mike F
06-19-2011, 02:47 PM
But isn't this how actual cases tend to churn out? I haven't investigated too many murder cases myself, but isn't that how they go about it, following whatever leads they get? Sometimes it takes them to more tips, sometimes they don't pan out, many people are suspects and methodically ruled out, as they gain more evidence.

I doubt most real cases have the cops having no idea that a person in their midst all along is the killer, but then find one key piece of evidence that reveals the killer 5 minutes before they arrest him/her. The obvious exception being DNA found at the scene.

I suspect that the people arrested are "persons of interest" long before the cuffs get put on them. They may not be the only person of interest, with others being ruled out over time, but I'm betting the arrow starts to point to them, more and more evidence is gathered to build a case, and the arrest is finally made when the evidence becomes overwhelming.

getbak
06-19-2011, 02:53 PM
Will we actually find out who the killer is tonight? Or is this going to go into next season? Assuming there is another.
There will be a second season (AMC announced it last week), but the Rosie Larsen investigation should wrap up tonight.

For the Danish original, I think the female detective was the only main character in common between the first and second season, with a few minor characters reprising their roles. The overall mystery was a completely different case.

HPLovecraft
06-19-2011, 02:54 PM
Will they change the name to "The Killings?"

Honestly, I wish it were over tonight.

Yasa
06-19-2011, 09:07 PM
I wasn't happy with the end. I really hoping they'd wrap up the case, but half way through the episode I knew it wasn't going to happen. Of course Richmond is another red herring, and the cliffhanger of "oh noes, who is Holder talking to!" annoyed me. Did Belko shoot him? Probably not. They need Richmond next season.

Table 5
06-19-2011, 10:02 PM
Not as exciting of an episode as last week, even with the ending. I do wish that they tied the story line up this season, but the Richmond story was just a little too neat of a package, and any other scenario just wouldn't have had enough time to be explained in one episode. There's probably a series of people at play now, not just one (ie, the campaign manager who fed him the story of him being out and wet is probably involved too).

Btw, what a crappy selfish sack of crap that mom was all season. Your daughter died and instead of making sure your other kids are taken care of, all you can focus on is yourself and bail? Boohoo you have regrets.... welcome to the club, now get over it.

metallicat
06-19-2011, 10:44 PM
Fffffuuuuuuuuuuu!

Ffffffuuuuuuuuuuuu!

VANFLAMESFAN
06-19-2011, 10:52 PM
I told myself before the start of the episode that if the case wasn't all wrapped by episode's end, I wasn't going to watch next season. Now, I'm not happy with the ending, but I'm not sure how I don't watch at least the beginning of next season. That was a pretty good cliffhanger. I don't wanna get into a debate on whether or not cliffhangers are good or bad. To me, they have a place and I think it works in a show like this.

In a way, I'm happy they ended it like this because it gives me reason to watch next season and in a way I'm pissed. I invested 13 hours on this show, and now I have to wait a year to reach any kind of conclusion?? That sucks huge balls.

The countdown to Breaking Bad begins......27 days and counting.

d_phaneuf
06-19-2011, 11:17 PM
saw a review tonight that said it hoped the Killing being renewed was a red herring

what a terrible finale, I understand cliff hangers and when done well they can create excitement for next season and still act as a good finish (Breaking Bad last year as an example, didn't realize it was only 27 days, fantastic news)

but this was just annoying, the tag line for the show was basically who killed the girl, disingenuous of the show to not answer that question

metallicat
06-20-2011, 09:16 AM
I actually thought the episode was really good, but I was also hoping that there wouldn't be such a cliffhanger for next season. I could have handled Linden coming back next year for a new case, but I am not really a fan of this. The male detective being such an obvious dirtbag now doesn't sit well with me at all.

getbak
06-20-2011, 10:11 AM
Man, I thought I was disappointed, then I read some reviews. I don't know if I've ever read such anger in tv reviews before...

http://www.aoltv.com/2011/06/19/the-killing-season-1-season-finale-recap/
http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/whats-alan-watching/posts/the-killing-orpheus-descending-reviewing-the-season-finale

Here's an interview with showrunner Veena Sud: http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/whats-alan-watching/posts/interview-the-killing-showrunner-veena-sud-on-the-season-finale

It reminds me of an interview I read with the creator of Grey's Anatomy (another show set in Seattle) a couple of years ago where she basically answered any criticism of the ridiculous plot twists that the show was taking by saying (paraphrasing) "this is the show I want to make; this is the show the network wants me to make; and as long as I'm running the show, this will be the show we make". It was after reading that, that I decided it wasn't the show I wanted to watch, and it seemingly never would be, so I stopped watching it.

Right now, I feel the same way about The Killing. We'll see how I feel next spring.

nik-
06-20-2011, 10:47 AM
I started watching it last night, and about 10 minutes in decided I just didn't want to. It seems from what I've heard that I made a wise decision. I had intended to watch it later, but now I think I'll just skip it altogether.

flamesaresmokin
06-20-2011, 10:54 AM
Its a pretty decent show but you can't just jump in half way and expect to understand what's going on. There is a lot of back story that has happened and that is also yet to happen.

Keep in mind barely 14 days has gone by at this point (end of season 1). It will clearly wrap up next season as you can only do so much with a show about an unsolved murder. Anything on AMC is still 100x better then network television so i'm pretty confident they will work everything out in a well directed manner.

Yasa
06-20-2011, 11:09 AM
The thing that bothers me the most is the lack of closure in almost all the major plot points. You see Ahmed is still alive, great. But that's pretty much it. It's tough to watch an entire series and have it finish with "Haha! See you next year, suckers!" Typically I like to have the current plot finished by the end, and have a new one start.

metallicat
06-20-2011, 11:29 AM
From the first article that getbak posted:

Let me be clear about the fact that I don't hold the actors responsible for this steaming pile of nonsense. I look at the work Brent Sexton did in the scene with Bennet's wife and I regret, once again, that the show didn't give these excellent actors sufficient scope for their skills on a consistent basis.

You mean the wife of the guy who was beaten to a pulp didn't know the identity of his attacker? Come on.

The article also talked about Linden going to visit Richmond alone, after she was sure he was the murderer. As if that would ever happen. Way too many leaps being taken in this show.

Table 5
06-20-2011, 12:01 PM
You mean the wife of the guy who was beaten to a pulp didn't know the identity of his attacker? Come on.

Yeah, a little hard to believe, considering that outside of Stan attacking her husband, he was also the father of the girl plastered all over the news/media. You'd think she'd pay a little bit of attention to that story considering her husband was a major suspect. Otherwise that's gotta be one sheltered wife.

HPLovecraft
06-20-2011, 02:06 PM
They went the more personal, emotional route with the finale, and there's nothing wrong with that if done well (it's why I loved the LOST ending so much), but I am kind of pissed there was no closure about Rosie's killer, and the way they supposedly quashed the suspicions about Holder's bad dealings earlier in the show, only to say AHA! we lied!

I think the red herring after red herring aspect of the show really weakens it. I didn't believe it was Richmond just because I expected a red herring, and it seems that was probably the case (though, I don't know why he'd be all wet).

I'll watch next season, though, because I don't think the show's THAT bad, it just has to improve on some aspects. It has the potential to be quite good. It just really needs to get rid of that red herring crap, because if it doesn't, there's little point of watching the entirety of next season until the last episode, when they may reveal something.

Eastern Girl
06-20-2011, 02:08 PM
This is why I asked before the show aired whether it was certain they were revealing the killer! Dammit. It became clear fairly quickly they weren't going that route, unfortunately.

The episode seemed rather anticlimactic, until the final minutes. Even though, it seemed to be a good cliffhanger ending, I would much rather they given us some concrete details or showed us what happened that night in its entirety thus revealing the killer.

The stuff with the blond chick seemed weird. She apparently had this information that he had left in the middle of the night and came home soaking wet and she thought it best to hide this information and provide him with an alibi? Was she so in love with him that she wanted to protect him or something? She seems like a fairly level headed woman so why keep that to herself? That whole thing seemed fishy.

I also called bunk on the pregger wife not recognizing the dad. How would she not know what the guy who beat her husband nearly to death looked like, especially since he turned himself in for it and because he was the father of the girl killed? It made no sense to me.

Not sure what to think of Holder or who he may have been talking to or what his end game is.

I think overall, they've done a good job at showing just how destructive this murder has been. The stuff with the mother is sad, you can't help but feel for her having lost her daughter in such a fashion, but at the same time, it's frustrating to see her mourn the loss of one child, while shutting out her remaining children. I imagine though that you lose a child like this, you aren't thinking clearly. Hopefully, she gets herself together and gets back to her kids.

I will be watching next season, but they better give us something early on. I am hanging in there with the investigation, but admittedly, the thread is getting thinner. They need to give their audience something or people will just stop caring entirely. It's already happened with some. I realize it's still supposed to be early on in the investigation, but the audience won't watch two full seasons of teasers.

HPLovecraft
06-20-2011, 02:20 PM
I also want to add that Gwen saying Richmond was all wet when he came back at dawn probably means nothing considering it rains every freakin' day in the Killing.

metallicat
06-20-2011, 02:46 PM
Did the hooker sayin it was Richmond mean anything? Does he still pick up hookers? And what's with the Orpheus handle? He still seems shady. Wasn't all that surprised when he was being arrested.

BlackEleven
06-20-2011, 02:58 PM
Richmond still could have done it. That shady business with the fake photo could have been orchestrated by the current mayor because he wanted to ensure that Richmond was arrested before the election, and Holder went along with it because he knew that Richmond would get away with it if they didn't get more evidence.

It would be disappointing if Richmond was a yet another red herring. Like others, I was getting pretty tired of them.

GGG
06-20-2011, 10:17 PM
My opinion on the killing written much more eloquently by Bill Simmons of ESPN / Grantland

http://espn.go.com/espn/grantland/story/_/id/6680958/hackery-first-degree

I will not be continuing to watch.

Ark2
06-22-2011, 04:48 PM
What an absolute garbage show. AMC really screwed us on this one.

Cowperson
06-22-2011, 06:44 PM
What an absolute garbage show. AMC really screwed us on this one.

I kinda loved the Sopranos style ending . . . . . . at the moment of dawning realization . . . . . and you're left to wonder if she'll remedy it.

Cowperson

metallicat
06-22-2011, 07:37 PM
The only thing I was left with was the temptation to toss my TV out the window.

Table 5
06-22-2011, 08:23 PM
Um, here's one confused reviewer who thought the show as solved.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/20/arts/television/the-killing-on-amc-solves-murder-in-season-finale.html?_r=1&adxnnl=1&adxnnlx=1308795699-JoWZtrKNoyNMNHVFYd04BA

MoneyGuy
06-22-2011, 08:29 PM
The wife and I enjoyed the finale. I wished it didn't carry over but thought they did a good job.

metallicat
06-22-2011, 10:27 PM
Um, here's one confused reviewer who thought the show as solved.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/20/arts/television/the-killing-on-amc-solves-murder-in-season-finale.html?_r=1&adxnnl=1&adxnnlx=1308795699-JoWZtrKNoyNMNHVFYd04BA

Maybe his power went out with ten minutes to go?

nik-
06-22-2011, 11:02 PM
The one repeating claim that seems to be out there is the damage to the brand trust of AMC. I would think that this would be pretty concerning to them.

They really did have a good streak of shows going there. Even Rubicon which "failed" gave a plausible finale at the end even though it didn't know it was over for sure. The Killing legitimately seems to have pissed people off.

metallicat
06-22-2011, 11:13 PM
I've said I won't watch next season, but who am I kidding? Of course I will, I want to see who killed her. And if it turns out to be Richmond afterall...oh boy.

Ark2
06-23-2011, 08:06 PM
I've said I won't watch next season, but who am I kidding? Of course I will, I want to see who killed her. And if it turns out to be Richmond afterall...oh boy.

you realize that you will probably have to watch another 13 episodes (at least) until they reveal the killer, right? Can you honestly go through another 12 episodes that are composed entirely of ridiculous red herrings and side stories that add absolutely nothing to the show?

VANFLAMESFAN
06-23-2011, 08:07 PM
I can't tell. Does Ark2 like The Killing??

Coys1882
07-15-2011, 02:50 PM
I'm surprised at the hate fest for this show. I'm a little late to the party but we watched the last two episodes last night and my overall opinion is that it is a good show. Is it as good as Dexter? Boardwalk Empire? Breaking Bad? No - probably not; but it's better than ANYTHING you'll find on network television so I'll gladly take it.

Joborule
07-15-2011, 03:09 PM
You and me think alike Coy. I just finished watching all the eps. and I thought it was a good show overall. Surprised by the criticism in the thread.

Yasa
07-15-2011, 03:59 PM
I like the show, I was just annoyed that the season finale didn't wrap anything up. A whole lot of build up to nothing.

Cowperson
01-11-2012, 07:36 AM
I like the show, I was just annoyed that the season finale didn't wrap anything up. A whole lot of build up to nothing.

Apparently that wasn't actually the ending.

Season 2 of The Killing - 13 episodes - is coming:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/season-2-killing-will-reveal-216543

Cowperson

Boblobla
01-11-2012, 07:41 AM
That article is like 6 months old...

Cowperson
01-11-2012, 09:28 AM
That article is like 6 months old...

Here is an article less than a month old with the same information to meet your request for better timeliness.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/killings-jamie-anne-allman-previews-277156

Cowperson

nik-
01-11-2012, 11:58 AM
I'm still floored at how this thing got renewed.

Boblobla
01-11-2012, 02:11 PM
Here is an article less than a month old with the same information to meet your request for better timeliness.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/killings-jamie-anne-allman-previews-277156

Cowperson

I was complaining because of The Walking Dead references that confused me.

I nearly threw my remote through the TV when the season ended w/o revealing the killer. They better reveal during the first episode imo.

bosox_fan05
01-11-2012, 02:23 PM
I was complaining because of The Walking Dead references that confused me.

I nearly threw my remote through the TV when the season ended w/o revealing the killer. They better reveal during the first episode imo.

I won't be finding out. That show lost me when they didn't reveal the killer in the last episode. It wasn't even that good to begin with. Maybe I'll read this thread to find out WHO KILLED ROSIE LARSEN. :rolleyes:

metallicat
01-11-2012, 02:27 PM
Yup, the whole tag line of the show was Who killed Rosie Larsen, and then they don't answer it. Brutal. But they sucked me in and I'll watch the new season.

Boblobla
01-12-2012, 10:02 AM
No resolution until the end of the season... (http://insidetv.ew.com/2012/01/11/the-killing-no-resolution-until-end-of-second-season-report/)

VANFLAMESFAN
01-12-2012, 10:36 AM
No resolution until the end of the season... (http://insidetv.ew.com/2012/01/11/the-killing-no-resolution-until-end-of-second-season-report/)

Spoiler tag would have been nice. I really did not want to know that.

Cowperson
01-12-2012, 11:24 AM

At the end of last season, the show clearly left you with the impression the secondary detective was the probable killer with the female detective sitting on the plane and slowly putting the dots together in her head, the dark realization finally and visibly hitting her just as we exit, stage left . . . . . .

They could have left it there and I would have been fine with the weird Sopranos-like ending.

I would assume we'll open Season Two with her grabbing the kid and leaping off the plane, back into the rain. . . . and I might further assume the secondary male detective won't be the killer after all.

We'll see.

Cowperson

Boblobla
01-12-2012, 11:58 AM
sorry, i fixed my post

Rathji
01-12-2012, 12:00 PM
So, after the first season, is this something I should pick up on DVD or iTunes or something and start watching? I always meant to start PVRing it but never got around to it.

ken0042
01-12-2012, 12:01 PM
Spoiler tag would have been nice. I really did not want to know that.

Then why did you quote the post?

Boblobla
01-12-2012, 12:02 PM
From other forums, the series isn't as slow if you have more than one episode to watch at a time. I think I enjoyed it. If you are a fan of police dramas you could give it a whirl...

Boblobla
01-12-2012, 12:04 PM
Thanks for fixing Ken.

It really blows that you don't find out till the end of next season about the killer. I don't know how many more red herrings can be thrown into the mix here...

VANFLAMESFAN
01-12-2012, 06:55 PM
Thanks for fixing Ken.

It really blows that you don't find out till the end of next season about the killer. I don't know how many more red herrings can be thrown into the mix here...

or maybe them releasing this big information is a way to increase the shock value when we do actually find out midway thru the season or whenever we do. I just have a hard time believing the creator of the show would flat out release such a big secret. Especially given the fallout from the last season finale.

metallicat
04-01-2012, 05:10 PM
Bump for the season premiere tonight.

metallicat
04-01-2012, 05:41 PM
It was possibly the most frustrating show I've ever watched, and yet for some reason I'm going to watch season two.

GGG
04-01-2012, 06:44 PM
It was possibly the most frustrating show I've ever watched, and yet for some reason I'm going to watch season two.

Not me. I am not watchng or reading about this show. I no longer care who killed her. I was so angry with the crap they pulled last season. None of the charactors are compelling. It is bad tv. If it was network it would have been canceled mid season.

I think the only reason it is back is that people have been brain washed into believing that these premium cable shows are inherently better than network, that and AMC blew their budget on Madmen and Breaking Bad.

Just seeing this thread made me feel the anger again that i have for this show. There is plenty of other mediocre serial dramas that are far less frusterating. Why anyone woulf comeback for round two is beyond me.

For those still watching if you would have found out who the killer was last season would you have come back to watch this season?

metallicat
04-01-2012, 07:18 PM
Yeah, probably because it would have meant they somehow introduced a new storyline. I'm certainly not jazzed up for the premiere, but I want to know what happened. But yeah, if it isn't revealed this year, I'll snap.

VANFLAMESFAN
04-02-2012, 01:59 AM
This is an intriguing mystery that gets more complex by the episode. I thought it was a pretty solid premiere.

I get the frustration about how last season finished, but there's still some compelling stories to be told here. This murder is clearly not just a random who done it. There's a lot more to be told here and I for one, am interested to see how it plays out.

VANFLAMESFAN
04-02-2012, 02:10 AM
I think the only reason it is back is that people have been brain washed into believing that these premium cable shows are inherently better than network, that and AMC blew their budget on Madmen and Breaking Bad.

?

No one is brain washed. Cable is better than network, it's just a fact. You can do more on cable, there's better actors on cable. There's better writers an better show runners on cable. You think Martin Scorcese would be involved with Boardwalk Empire if it were on ABC? Do you think Game of Thrones would be better on Fox?

Not everything on cable is a home run, the killing is fine, it's not amazing but I'll take it over any of the CSI's or whatever isolated episode murder mystery show on network.

Breaking Bad, Mad men, boardwalk empire, homeland are just better shows than anything network can provide. It's not even close and there is no brain washing.

old-fart
04-02-2012, 09:58 AM
I feel sort of compelled to continue watching since I watched season 1, but season 2 appears to be just as meh as season 1. There is nothing particularly likeable about any of the characters. I don't really give a crap if the polititian (either of them) are killed, the main character could get run over by a bus, her son could be killed in a gangland shooting, the other cop could OD on draino, the father of the dead girl could be crushed under a moving truck, the mom (who is awol) could be found in the trunk of a car, the aunt could be captured by a white slavery ring, and the other two kids could be sold to a Mexican burro show.... and it would still be a big meh.

The more I watch the more I'm convinced Rosie (or whatever her name was) killed herself to escape this city that is seemingly filled with boring, useless people.

Joborule
04-02-2012, 10:21 AM
Thanked for the last sentence. lol

Coys1882
04-02-2012, 10:26 AM
I kind of understand what you mean - but I find myself intrigued by lead role. She's a horribly flawed character whose willing to be a bad mother, g/f, and friend to fulfil her need to work. I think that's a pretty intriguing character.

I haven't had a chance to watch s02e01 but I'm looking forward to it. I still don't see a better option on Network television to be honest. Unless I'm missing a real gem somewhere?

nik-
04-02-2012, 10:26 AM
I was thinking of checking it out again last night, but looking at the episode synopsis reminded me of some of the characters and how much I just don't care about them. So I stopped myself.

Sucks that they axed Rubicon yet left this one.

lifetimefan
04-02-2012, 11:48 AM

Even Forbrydelsen didn't drag their plot out. You can only tease the audience for so long in the suspense genre - all stick and no carrot makes for a cancelled show.

What is so bad about following one case each season?

metallicat
04-02-2012, 12:02 PM
I was thinking of checking it out again last night, but looking at the episode synopsis reminded me of some of the characters and how much I just don't care about them. So I stopped myself.

Sucks that they axed Rubicon yet left this one.

I found Rubicon to be ridiculously convoluted.

HPLovecraft
04-02-2012, 12:27 PM
No one is brain washed. Cable is better than network, it's just a fact. You can do more on cable, there's better actors on cable. There's better writers an better show runners on cable. You think Martin Scorcese would be involved with Boardwalk Empire if it were on ABC? Do you think Game of Thrones would be better on Fox?

Not everything on cable is a home run, the killing is fine, it's not amazing but I'll take it over any of the CSI's or whatever isolated episode murder mystery show on network.

Breaking Bad, Mad men, boardwalk empire, homeland are just better shows than anything network can provide. It's not even close and there is no brain washing.

LOST was a network show with an incredibly talented cast and writing crew (Damon Lindeloff is off to writing the scripts for films like Prometheus).

I would agree that, in general, cable has better broadcasting, but you can still find stuff on networks (from time to time) that is at least as good as, if not better, than many things cable can provide. So I wouldn't go so far as to call it a fact.

1_Flames_Fan
04-02-2012, 12:46 PM
I liked the first season although apparently a lot of people didn't. Haven't checked out season 2 premiere yet but I will likely watch it tonight.

GGG
04-02-2012, 01:16 PM

The statement Cable is better than network, Its just a fact. Proves my point. You have just stated that any show that Cable produces is inherently better then a network show. You are not evaluating on a show by show basis.

I would agree that the majority of Cable shows are better than the majority of network shows. You won't here any argument from me about that. But the Killing is not one of those shows. To compare the killing to Breaking Bad, Man Men, Boradwalk empire, and Homeland is insulting to all of those shows. Are you actually implying that the Killing is comparable to all the other fantastic shows you just listed? You have also failed to list many of the one season and done cable shows that don't get renewed.

Red Herring after Red Herring after Red Herring after Cliff Hanger after one episode break to deal with her kid that she that went missing and important after not being involved with the plot for the last Month after Red Herring after Red Herring after Red Herring after solving the mystery... oh wait that was just a Red Herring IS NOT GOOD STORY TELLING. Network or Cable it doesn't matter it is not good story tellings.

It is also not fair to compare and continuing story drama with an eposodic drama. They are completely different forms of story telling.

VANFLAMESFAN
04-02-2012, 02:11 PM
The statement Cable is better than network, Its just a fact. Proves my point. You have just stated that any show that Cable produces is inherently better then a network show. You are not evaluating on a show by show basis.

I would agree that the majority of Cable shows are better than the majority of network shows. You won't here any argument from me about that. But the Killing is not one of those shows. To compare the killing to Breaking Bad, Man Men, Boradwalk empire, and Homeland is insulting to all of those shows. Are you actually implying that the Killing is comparable to all the other fantastic shows you just listed? You have also failed to list many of the one season and done cable shows that don't get renewed.

Red Herring after Red Herring after Red Herring after Cliff Hanger after one episode break to deal with her kid that she that went missing and important after not being involved with the plot for the last Month after Red Herring after Red Herring after Red Herring after solving the mystery... oh wait that was just a Red Herring IS NOT GOOD STORY TELLING. Network or Cable it doesn't matter it is not good story tellings.

It is also not fair to compare and continuing story drama with an eposodic drama. They are completely different forms of story telling.

I clearly stated that not every cable show is a home run and The Killing definitely fits into that category. I do believe that it is better than most if not all of the similar murder mystery type shows on network though. Those CSI/Criminal Minds/Cold Case shows are pretty awful IMO.

Maybe I am a cable snob and I'll own that, but I do give network stuff a fair shake, but the majority of those shows can't come close to some of the great work that is on cable these days. There are exceptions, but nt many.

Not that it is the be all, end all, but all 5 of the Best TV Show Drama nominations at the Globes were cable shows. And 4 of the 6 at last year's Emmys. I know it doesn't mean everything, but I'm of the mind it can't be overlooked either.

VANFLAMESFAN
04-02-2012, 02:25 PM
LOST was a network show with an incredibly talented cast and writing crew (Damon Lindeloff is off to writing the scripts for films like Prometheus).

I would agree that, in general, cable has better broadcasting, but you can still find stuff on networks (from time to time) that is at least as good as, if not better, than many things cable can provide. So I wouldn't go so far as to call it a fact.

Okay, not fact, but more often than not. Fair?

Coys1882
04-02-2012, 02:37 PM

This isn't a facetious question - but what Network drama would you say is better right now than the Killing?

nik-
04-02-2012, 02:54 PM
This isn't a facetious question - but what Network drama would you say is better right now than the Killing?

The off air tone and Rainbow bars are better than The Killing.

GGG
04-02-2012, 07:17 PM

Person of Interest and Fringe are definately better than The Killing despite network insistance on having both episodal and continuing plots. Alcatraz while not great was certainly less frusterating than the killing. Even The Firm while not a good show at least tells a story with reasoable forshadowing and twists.

There is also a lot of good 1/2 hour comedies on right now on network TV that are far superior to the Killing in terms of where you would rather spend your time. 30 rock, Parks, Community, The Office Are all excellent. Not to mention plenty of average shows.

I think my biggest problem with the killing is It wasnt a story it is just a series of Dues ex machina

Notorious Honey Badger
04-02-2012, 07:20 PM
I watched the killing last night. I'm only now waking up. What a wonderful deep sleep that was. Thank you AMC!

Professor Successor
04-02-2012, 07:33 PM
I liked the first season. Wasn't even that mad by the curious way to end it. But I tried on three separate occasions to watch the second season's premiere last night and only managed to watch small portions. Each time I told myself "it's on a little later, catch it then" and each time I struggled to make it through a second commercial break.

Thought I'd PVR the last broadcast of the night to watch later on this week but I didn't care enough to even do that.

VANFLAMESFAN
04-02-2012, 08:14 PM
Person of Interest and Fringe are definately better than The Killing despite network insistance on having both episodal and continuing plots. Alcatraz while not great was certainly less frusterating than the killing. Even The Firm while not a good show at least tells a story with reasoable forshadowing and twists.

There is also a lot of good 1/2 hour comedies on right now on network TV that are far superior to the Killing in terms of where you would rather spend your time. 30 rock, Parks, Community, The Office Are all excellent. Not to mention plenty of average shows.

I think my biggest problem with the killing is It wasnt a story it is just a series of Dues ex machina

I can respect most of your post, except the Alcatraz portion. The only thing that kept me interested was the fact that it's filmed in my home town. It was ambitious, I'll give Abrams and co. credit for that, but it was plenty dumb as well.

in the debate on network vs cable, I think Cable destroys network for dramas, but I think the fight is a lot closer in comedies. At the same time, there's plenty of cable comedies that don't get the credit they deserve, Shameless being on the top of that list.

Kybosh
04-02-2012, 09:46 PM
I honestly don't understand the blinding hate some have for this show. I think that the story is intriguing and the characters are pretty well developed. I don't usually watch crime dramas, but I like this one.

KTrain
04-02-2012, 09:52 PM
I enjoy the show and agree with VANFLAMESFAN that even though it's not as good as some of the upper level AMC/cable shows (Mad Men, Breaking Bad, etc.) it is still much better than 99% of the network television in the same genre.

Barnes
04-02-2012, 09:56 PM
I honestly don't understand the blinding hate some have for this show. I think that the story is intriguing and the characters are pretty well developed. I don't usually watch crime dramas, but I like this one.

I agree. I have crazy ADD and even I dont have a problem with them not wrapping it up in a nice package for me at the end of last season. There's plenty monster of the week shows out there with superficial season long story arcs.

VANFLAMESFAN
04-02-2012, 10:02 PM
I agree. I have crazy ADD and even I dont have a problem with them not wrapping it up in a nice package for me at the end of last season. There's plenty monster of the week shows out there with superficial season long story arcs.

i really think people are still so pissed off about last season's finale that they have decided to blindly hate it going forward.

To me, i was a tad frustrated, but I got over it as I'm a firm believer in a show thinking outside of the box and not playing by the rules, no matter how pissed off the public might get.

It's far from a perfect show, but I think it's a pretty solid mystery and I'll have no issue seeing this thru.

GGG
04-02-2012, 10:35 PM
i really think people are still so pissed off about last season's finale that they have decided to blindly hate it going forward.

To me, i was a tad frustrated, but I got over it as I'm a firm believer in a show thinking outside of the box and not playing by the rules, no matter how pissed off the public might get.

It's far from a perfect show, but I think it's a pretty solid mystery and I'll have no issue seeing this thru.

I disagree. It wasnt the not wrapping up of the plot that bothered me. I wasnt planning on watching season 2 after the episode where her kid went missing. The finale bothered me because i wasted three or four hours for the show to be wrapped up.

For me the let down is that the investigation doesnt make sense. They intentionaly lead you down one path and the pull the rug out and start you down on another. The show lacks any kind of forshadowing. It uses red herrings as its sole plot device. It makes Seattle look like an ugly city or a small town in alaska.

The end of season 1 became a focal point of the rage against this show but it wasnt the cliff hanger that was the problem it was that people wanted out of the show and werent given an escape.

nik-
04-03-2012, 12:58 AM
How about the cliche factory main character, the constant, quickly dismissed red herrings at the end of multiple episodes, barely functional development of the victim and a soul draining level of boredom from the victims family. The series has one interesting character in Holder. It's not "blind hate", it's a bad show.

old-fart
04-03-2012, 08:33 AM
How about the cliche factory main character, the constant, quickly dismissed red herrings at the end of multiple episodes, barely functional development of the victim and a soul draining level of boredom from the victims family. The series has one interesting character in Holder. It's not "blind hate", it's a bad show.

How about the fact a supposedly cracker jack homicide cop, tailing another cop she believes is "dirty" didn't bother to bring a camera with her to the super secret meeting (that was held in plain sight) - yet she herself was captured on camera by the mystery person in the bush wearing a hoodie? Or the backpack that was dropped off at the victims house covered in (supposedly) the victims still wet blood.... 14 days after her killing. Or the other druggie cop wearing gloves so as to not contaminate the evidence... smoking over the evidence before casually flicking his butt? Or the mom cop demonstrating perhaps the worst parenting skills ever, keeping her kid from his father despite the fact she fears for his life? Yes junior, I'm scared for you and be careful, but not so scared that I'd rather you got killed than go be with your father and be safe. Or the nutty guy that got the cops gun - because that's very easy to do when you are suspected of murdering your own mother, plus a shooting of a mayoral candidate and city councilman.

The show has many flaws, and few likeable characters.

Parallex
04-03-2012, 02:23 PM
Yeesh, lotta hate on about the show. I disgree with the general sentiment, I like the show. I like that it isn't a case of the week crime show, I like seeing the deeper character development, and I like the niorish feel of the show.

I'm not fond of continuing the case beyond season 1, I though the season should have wrapped with catching Rosie's killer and had season two be the next case... I don't want to be teased quite as much as they are teasing but I'm willing to overlook that for one more season.

Iowa_Flames_Fan
04-06-2012, 11:51 PM
Here's what confuses me: people who say they hate the show, but have clearly watched every episode.

If you don't like the show, turn off the TV and go hug your kids or something.

Personally, I just discovered this show and I think it's fantastic. A really interesting take on the police procedural, a step away from the formula. I think the main character is flawed, self-obsessed and probably mentally ill, but I do find her compelling. Holder is good too.

I don't know--there's enough stuff on TV that if what you want is plots that get resolved in 44 minutes, you can find that easily enough. For me, this is much better.

GGG
04-07-2012, 09:04 AM
Here's what confuses me: people who say they hate the show, but have clearly watched every episode.

If you don't like the show, turn off the TV and go hug your kids or something.

Personally, I just discovered this show and I think it's fantastic. A really interesting take on the police procedural, a step away from the formula. I think the main character is flawed, self-obsessed and probably mentally ill, but I do find her compelling. Holder is good too.

I don't know--there's enough stuff on TV that if what you want is plots that get resolved in 44 minutes, you can find that easily enough. For me, this is much better.

I think us haters watched the entire first season as once you realized you hated the show there was only 6 episodes left so it was worth finishing of the season to get resolution. Thats when you got kicked in the junk again with the cliffhanger.

I think the biggest problem with the show is that it takes up limited cable resources that could be used to create a great show. I dont want a 44 minute resolution. I want quality season story arcs not just any full season story arc.

Anyway i am going to check out of this thread now and let those who enjoy the show enjoy it

VANFLAMESFAN
05-20-2012, 11:47 PM
Most frustrating show on TV!!!

VANFLAMESFAN
06-04-2012, 12:37 AM
AMC promos are saying the killer will be revealed by season's end.

I have a feeling it will be revealed, but there will be a huge cliffhanger at the end to implicate a new character.

No word from what I can gather that there will be a third season.

Still a pretty frustrating show. I like some of the characters, and I like the feel/mood of the show, but we need more pay off. Red herring after red herring is not the pay off viewers need.

nik-
06-04-2012, 12:47 AM
It's interesting comparing your post on the top of this page with your last two.

VANFLAMESFAN
06-04-2012, 12:55 AM
People change.

metallicat
06-04-2012, 05:37 PM
This show continues to be incredibly hard to like. The most excited I've been this season is when they said they'll reveal the killer this year.

Joborule
06-04-2012, 09:02 PM
I've stopped watching it weekly. I'll just watch them all in one showing after this season is done. So then I don't get annoyed.

Eastern Girl
06-08-2012, 04:55 PM
I did the same thing, I watched the first couple episodes as they aired and then just stockpiled a bunch of them. I just caught up. I actually think it's progressing nicely now. Still slower than I'd like, but it's getting better. I'm glad that damn kid was sent away. I just don't care about the angst.

Coys1882
06-17-2012, 11:07 PM
Well - after two seasons of red herrings and rain, I can truly say that last episode made every single minute I watched worth it. Fantastic season finale!!!

VANFLAMESFAN
06-18-2012, 01:48 AM
Pretty haunting and emotional stuff in the finale. Not sure it was worth 25 episodes to get to this point, but it was still a pretty good hour.

Will it be back for another season or have we seen the last of Det. Linden?

GGG
06-18-2012, 08:31 AM
Pretty haunting and emotional stuff in the finale. Not sure it was worth 25 episodes to get to this point, but it was still a pretty good hour.

Will it be back for another season or have we seen the last of Det. Linden?

My wife kept watching the show so I watched the last 3 episodes of this season. I did enjoy the ending and didn't feel I missed that much by not watching 75% of the second season. I think if they re-edited the show into 1 season. Elimniate her son from the plot, eliminate the teacher red herring and condense it down into a reasonably paced show you could have had a great show instead of something that was boarderline unwatchable as a weekly show.

I think one of the biggest problems, in a show that wasted so much time, is that we never at any emotional attachment to Rosie. I think they could have done a better job into making her real rather than just a body.

I also thought there refusal to drop the plot twist after plot twist got a little tiring. I said in the second last episode when they were leading you to believe it was Gwen was that it couldn't be her because there was still one more show to change their mind. And after they shot the guy 10 minutes into the episode I said it wasn't just him because there are still 50 minutes left in the episode. The plot twists were so overdone they were predicable.

What i did really enjoy was the last two scenes with the new mayor. The one where the old mayor says it took him 3 trys to get elected and it only took richmond 1. And when he sat down with the Indian casino people to sell out as a politician. The transformation of Richmond from idealist to politician was well done over the two year period.

The Sister being the killer seemed rather arbitrary and realy didn't fit that well (unless they added more to her charactor during the part of the second season that I didn't watch) but it did create a very haunting scene to end the show that was very well done.

Eastern Girl
06-18-2012, 04:53 PM
I wasn't terribly thrilled with the ending to be honest. Like the above post noted, it was rather obvious there was going to be another twist and frankly the twist was pretty meh.

I didn't like that the sister was the one that ultimately killed her, especially given that she didn't know it was Rosie in the trunk. It just seemed slightly disappointing.

I did like the transformation of Richmond. I liked the emotional element of it. The video Rosie made and everyone watching it, and her saying she'll be seeing the world. It was definitely sad.

I hate that the Indian Casino chick didn't get hers though.

Again, I agree with the above post, the series could have been condensed. It definitely would have created more suspense. And yeah, the stuff with her son was so pointless. I just didnt care.

Is there going to be another season? Will the lead chick be in it or is someone else taking her place, assuming it does continue?

getbak
06-18-2012, 05:08 PM
AMC hasn't announced a third season pick-up, which isn't usually a good sign from them because they like to officially announce a new season before the end of the current season so that they can promote it after the season finale.

If there was a third season, it would have to involve Linden and Holder investigating something new. If they did, I wouldn't be surprised if it involved something with Stan's gangster buddies so they could keep the Larsens as part of the plot.

This tv.com review pretty much sums up my thoughts on the finale, and the series in general: http://www.tv.com/news/the-killings-season-2-finale-a-dream-deferred-28905/

BlackRedGold25
06-18-2012, 05:51 PM
It felt a little too contrived that Terry was the one who ultimately killed Rosie. I mean, come on, what are the odds that it would be her niece? I could understand it if this happened in some small town but a big metropolis like Seattle? No way! It felt forced to have this huge emotional ending to the season.

The second season got better as it went along, unlike the first season which really fizzled out when they didn't reveal the killer.

Hopefully it comes back because Holder has developed into a really compelling character. They shouldn't bring back the Larsen clan. Stan was the only somewhat interesting one and he's played out now.

Coys1882
06-18-2012, 08:11 PM
I don't know - I felt it was a good shout that Terry was so lonely and desperate for Ames to leave his wife that she would do something like that. When you don't have to look that person in the eyes maybe it's easy to flick the switch.

Joborule
06-21-2012, 09:42 PM
Got around to watching the rest of the season in the past two days.

Was better than the first season. More development this time around. They really like to do red herring after red herring though don't think?

I agree with what's been said that they should have condense the plot line. Would've made it work out better and perhaps persuade me to watch it weekly.

Notorious Honey Badger
07-29-2012, 03:00 AM
Cancelled by AMC

metallicat
07-29-2012, 08:48 AM
I'm not surprised. Although I admit that the ending of the second season was pretty good. I was actually interested in seeing what they did for a new case/season.

trackercowe
11-30-2012, 10:35 PM
I can't believe it, but of all the cancelled shows out there, this is the one that seems like it's getting put back on the air.

http://www.vulture.com/2012/11/the-killing-amc-back-writers.html?mid=imdb

Pretty surprising, but it was probably difficult for AMC to find a show to replace it. For those who watched last season were the last few episodes any good? I gave up on it midway through the season, but if it's actually coming back, maybe I'll finish last season.

nik-
11-30-2012, 10:40 PM
oh god, that show was such a piece of ####.

moon
11-30-2012, 11:23 PM
I can't believe it, but of all the cancelled shows out there, this is the one that seems like it's getting put back on the air.

http://www.vulture.com/2012/11/the-killing-amc-back-writers.html?mid=imdb

Pretty surprising, but it was probably difficult for AMC to find a show to replace it. For those who watched last season were the last few episodes any good? I gave up on it midway through the season, but if it's actually coming back, maybe I'll finish last season.

The last few shows were as bad if not worse than the others and the ending was awful.

trackercowe
12-01-2012, 12:08 AM
The last few shows were as bad if not worse than the others and the ending was awful.
Hmm maybe I'll just keep avoiding it then; a shame since usually AMC shows are worth watching. I don't typically lose interest in a show either once I stick to it for a while, but I just didn't care enough anymore to dedicate an hour of my life each week to watch his one.

Machiavelli
12-01-2012, 07:02 AM
Yeah I'm not going to watch it again if it comes back.

nik-
12-01-2012, 03:13 PM
I still feel that The Killing was legitimately brand damaging to AMC. It's moved me from the "gotta check out everything they put on" category to "watch Mad Men and Breaking Bad"

getbak
06-02-2013, 01:23 PM
Season Three premieres tonight with a two hour episode before Mad Men: http://www.amctv.com/shows/the-killing

It looks like the only characters returning from the first two seasons are Linden and Holder.

If it wasn't summer and there was actually a lot of new stuff on the air, I wouldn't give it another shot, but now I look at my upcoming recordings on my PVR and think I might actually tune in.

http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-watching/review-the-killing-returns-to-amc-but-can-it-learn-from-past-mistakes

Coys1882
06-02-2013, 08:02 PM
I'm looking forward to this season - I enjoyed the first two to be honest.

GGG
06-02-2013, 08:08 PM
I tempted to watch again. The show could have been good. If they have fixed their pacing and reliance on red herrings it would be a real good show. The characters were a real strong point. They just stay focused on driving the plots forward and limit the scope a bit

Have they committed to a single season arc?

Coys1882
06-02-2013, 08:11 PM
I tempted to watch again. The show could have been good. If they have fixed their pacing and reliance on red herrings it would be a real good show. The characters were a real strong point. They just stay focused on driving the plots forward and limit the scope a bit

I agree - I really enjoyed the scenes with Holder and I think that's what pushed me past all the twists and turns which really revealed nothing.

KTrain
06-03-2013, 12:53 PM
"Serenity? That sounds like a strippers name." A little forced but fun all the same.

I enjoyed the first episode(s). The new characters are interesting. Peter Sarsgaard is a good actor and can play it creepy.

Did I miss how much time had past between this season and the events of last?

nik-
06-03-2013, 01:00 PM

I even felt the pacing was fine, but red herrings that are rendered irrelevant in the first 5 minutes of the next episode is lazy and cheap. Doing it multiple weeks is just maddening. I can't believe AMC rewarded that type of show execution with resurrection.

Parallex
06-03-2013, 01:17 PM
"Serenity? That sounds like a strippers name." A little forced but fun all the same.

I thought it was funny. The first thing I thought was "Kallee!" then when Jewel Staite said the word Serenity I chuckled a bit. It's not quite Nathan Fillion dressing up as a "Space Cowboy" on Castle but as far as a homage to Firefly goes I thought it worked.

I thought the season premier episode was good, hope they don't stretch the case out over multiple seasons like they did with the Rosie Larson investigation over seasons 1 & 2. It's one thing to ask your audiance to embrace long-form storytelling with a crime drama that isn't a Law & Order case-of-the-week type set-up but you just can't drag it out for longer then a season.

Did I miss how much time had past between this season and the events of last?

I think they said a year.

I'd bet on the Pastor at the drop in center as the killer.

GGG
06-03-2013, 02:12 PM
Watched the first episode and I am definately interested. Hopefuly they have learned from the last plot. I am not going to play the perdict the killer game until it is clear that they aren't just doing a red herring of the weak again.

VANFLAMESFAN
06-03-2013, 10:37 PM
Peter Sargaard was fantastic in decent premiere to a relatively mediocre mystery show.

lifetimefan
06-04-2013, 12:20 AM
I think it's a great show.
It's unfortunate that (mostly American) audiences are only satisfied when they see something shiny, naked or exploding every 30 seconds.

nik-
06-04-2013, 01:01 AM
It's unfortunate that (mostly American) audiences are only satisfied when they see something shiny, naked or exploding every 30 seconds.

Oh please :rolleyes:

The Killing's first season was a cliche bonanza.

GGG
06-04-2013, 07:21 AM

Do you meen like a new potential killer every week that is conveniently debunked by the end of the episode. Because the first two seasons of the killing had that in spades. Sometimes to build suspense they lasted a few episodes before revealing the red herring.

I mean in the final episode of season two they went through 3 different suspects. They had 24hrs of TV to build to the end and they were still playing the red herring game.

1_Flames_Fan
06-04-2013, 02:20 PM
New season showing some strong potential

metallicat
07-04-2013, 05:36 AM
This season is fantastic so far!! A huge improvement over the crap that was season 2.

rabenson000
07-16-2013, 01:21 PM
I only started watching this show during season 3. So far I am addicted I look forward to watching it Sunday nights.

Machiavelli
07-23-2013, 08:35 AM
This season is fantastic so far!! A huge improvement over the crap that was season 2.

Yep, and it keeps getting better!

J epworth
07-23-2013, 12:46 PM
Leaps and bounds this is the best season of the Killing. Completely rebooted the series IMO, last episode showed they aren't afraid to take risks either this season. Been my go to series this summer.

moon
07-23-2013, 12:51 PM
This season has been much better than the first two (although almost impossible to be as bad or worse than the first season).

They still go back to the red herrings a bit too much in my view and have a lot of what was the point of that? There is no way that happens moments but much better season.

A decently entertaining show to watch while the good shows are off.

nfotiu
07-23-2013, 05:19 PM
I liked the first season a lot, except that the finale kind of did ruin the whole point of the season. The second season was a mess. This third season is very good and did a nice job of completely breaking the mold of the first couple seasons. I hope this show continues.

Coys1882
07-24-2013, 08:52 AM
When Holder and Linden almost kissed in that scene my wife screamed at the TV 'NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO' - crisis averted.

VANFLAMESFAN
07-30-2013, 05:05 PM
Just finished the past episode. Gut churning stuff in the final ten minutes.

Great work by Saarsgard. He was the highlight of this season for me.

metallicat
07-31-2013, 02:30 PM
That might have been the most powerful episode of a show I've ever seen. Up there with a certain cops death in The Shield.

Machiavelli
07-31-2013, 03:51 PM
That final scene sucked me in completely.

Machiavelli
08-05-2013, 10:20 PM
Season finale escalated quickly.

metallicat
08-06-2013, 06:09 AM
I have to watch this whole season again, without the week long breaks in between episodes. It's too bad the first and second seasons probably hurt the ratings for this year, because this deserves to be watched. Incredible show.

Coys1882
08-06-2013, 09:16 AM
Strange ending - they crammed a whole season into one episode it seems.

Joborule
08-09-2013, 09:05 AM
No doubt, that final episode packed a lot of crap in a short period of time.

Overall was a better effort than season 1 and 2.

Cowperson
08-09-2013, 11:05 AM
No doubt, that final episode packed a lot of crap in a short period of time.

Overall was a better effort than season 1 and 2.

"No, no, no, no . . . . . ."

Loved that ending.

Cowperson

meanmachine13
08-09-2013, 11:42 AM
Did anyone watch that online footage that would sync with the episodes?

Mike F
08-10-2013, 11:01 AM
Can you follow season 3 without having see a second of season 2?

I completely bailed on the series after season 1.

J epworth
08-10-2013, 11:04 AM
Can you follow season 3 without having see a second of season 2?

I completely bailed on the series after season 1.

Yes. It'll take you about ten minutes to figure out what happened in season 2 that's important for season three, which is basically nothing. Just watch a YouTube video of season 2 recap if you want, I didn't and I was fine, I stopped season 2 after 5 episodes.

Canada 02
08-14-2013, 02:03 PM
just started watching season 1 because I heard Hugh Dillon is in it eventually. How is he and his character?

rabenson000
09-12-2013, 01:44 AM
And it's canceled again
AMC said in a statement: "We have made the difficult decision not to move forward with a fourth season of The Killing. We want to thank our great partners at Fox Television Studios, creator Veena Sud, an extraordinary cast and the dedicated fans who watched."
http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/tv/2013/09/11/amc-cancels-the-killing-again-noseason-4/2797425/

Parallex
09-12-2013, 09:23 AM
And it's canceled again

Boooo. I rather liked the last season. Guess they couldn't win back the audience they lost when they decided to stretch the Rosie Larson Plot over two seasons.

KTrain
09-12-2013, 10:45 AM
I enjoyed the last season the most as well. I think the ending to season one and subsequently, season two lost them a lot of viewers that just didn't come back for the 3rd.

Also, both actors are starting to show up in more stuff, so it could also be that they were due for a pay bump and the viewer numbers weren't there to justify it.

metallicat
09-12-2013, 05:17 PM
God dammit.

rabenson000
11-15-2013, 05:27 PM
And it's back again :lol:
The Killing can't be killed! The popular crime drama has been saved from cancellation for the second time in three years.

Netflix has revived The Killing for a six-episode fourth and final season that will conclude the story of the AMC series for good, TVGuide.com has confirmed.
http://www.tvguide.com/News/Netflix-Revives-Killing-Season4-1073504.aspx

nik-
11-15-2013, 06:10 PM
You gotta be ####ing kidding me.

moon
11-15-2013, 06:13 PM
Four seasons for this piece of crap and Deadwood only gets 3???

What's the over/under on red herring suspects in 6 espisodes?

My guess is because it is the last season they will try and cram 3 or 4 in each episode and then it will turn out that Rosie Larsen is the killer!

KTrain
11-15-2013, 06:17 PM
I like it. 6 episodes is respectable and a nice way to finish off the series.

darockwilder
11-15-2013, 11:20 PM
How on earth would Linden be allowed to remain a cop after how the last season ended?!?

Joborule
11-16-2013, 12:19 AM
Last season actually was pretty decent, so nice to give this a proper ending.

Eastern Girl
11-16-2013, 12:15 PM
I think it improved over the last season. I liked the characters. I am happy to hear that it's getting a proper end. Not sure how I'd like it to see or what would be fitting, but I will be watching.

Flames Draft Watcher
11-18-2013, 01:15 AM
Yes! Really enjoyed this show. The haters can suck it. Not surprised debbie downer moon showed up in this thread to pan it.

nik-
11-18-2013, 01:34 AM
Yes! Really enjoyed this show. The haters can suck it. Not surprised debbie downer moon showed up in this thread to pan it.

The vast majority of people who watched the show panned it ... because it's a piece of crap.

Paladium
11-18-2013, 01:52 AM
The only thing going for this show is Holder - Linden is about the worse actress in the world. The ending of last season was bogus, Linden unbelievable and there was a problem with the time space continuum given the distance to the cabin. She should have turned the gun on the audience.