PDA

View Full Version : Rentals in Saskatoon

J epworth
03-29-2011, 01:36 PM
Hi Guys,

I've just got accepted into a Masters of Public Health at the University of Saskatchewan and I'm looking to find a one bedroom or studio apartment. Does anyone have any links or people I can contact to find more information? I've called a few places but it seems availability is very low, and the prices seem pretty high for some really crappy places. So I'm coming to you guys in the hope that someone knows something about Saskatoon.

Thanks guys!

Travis Munroe
03-29-2011, 01:53 PM
Congrats on being accepted!
Unfortunatly, I am not to aware of the rental situation on SK but surely some CP'ers are!
Good Luck

Frank MetaMusil
03-29-2011, 02:13 PM
How much are you looking to pay?

http://saskatoon.kijiji.ca/c-housing-apartments-for-rent-1-bedroom-City-Park-1-bedroom-suite-corner-unit-in-quiet-building-W0QQAdIdZ264187010

http://saskatoon.kijiji.ca/c-housing-apartments-for-rent-1-bedroom-Pleasant-Hill-renovated-1-bedroom-suite-in-a-concrete-building-W0QQAdIdZ264475334

J epworth
03-29-2011, 02:21 PM
How much are you looking to pay?

http://saskatoon.kijiji.ca/c-housing-apartments-for-rent-1-bedroom-City-Park-1-bedroom-suite-corner-unit-in-quiet-building-W0QQAdIdZ264187010

http://saskatoon.kijiji.ca/c-housing-apartments-for-rent-1-bedroom-Pleasant-Hill-renovated-1-bedroom-suite-in-a-concrete-building-W0QQAdIdZ264475334

Between 600-800, maybe a little more if the place is really worth it. I've called the first place, don't know why they even advertised because it's not available. It seems like nothing online is actually available.

Frank MetaMusil
03-29-2011, 02:23 PM
Good luck to you man, I hated renting. Tack on the fact that you've gotta live in Melonhead country that can't be easy. Best of luck on the Masters as well.

J epworth
03-29-2011, 02:26 PM
Good luck to you man, I hated renting. Tack on the fact that you've gotta live in Melonhead country that can't be easy. Best of luck on the Masters as well.

Thanks man. And I think I'll be able to handle Melonhead's better than living in the heart of Leaf Nation in Southwestern Ontario the last 4 years; I'll just be happy to be within driving distance of Calgary again. Plus I'm excited about the program, just going to be tough to cheer for a team wearing green, even if it's not the Roughriders.

rd_aaron
03-29-2011, 03:20 PM
Between 600-800, maybe a little more if the place is really worth it. I've called the first place, don't know why they even advertised because it's not available. It seems like nothing online is actually available.

Vacancy in Saskatoon is nearly 0%. Look early and often if you want to find a decent place. Check out the classifieds ads under the Campus Life tab on PAWS as another option to Kijiji.

GreenLantern
03-29-2011, 03:59 PM
Grats on getting into the program, UofS is a great school did my bachelors there and am actually headed back in the fall myself to pursue graduate studies through SENS.

Renting in Stoon right now sucks.. no way around it. Right now you might get lucky as school is ending I would suspect that some places are coming up for rent, or some students are looking to off load leases and head home that you could take over into the fall.

Getting anything close to campus for what you are looking for will be damn near out of the question though I fear. If I was you I would be looking through East College Park or City Park area. Both of these are far enough away the prices are cheaper, but close enough that you could get there via car very quickly or via bus fairly quickly. Or bike, obviously in the summer.

This of course all changes if you are willing to rent a room in a house. If that is the case I might actually be able to hook you up with a buddy or two.

I will keep my ear open for you.

Oh and btw, just trying to be helpful here but Pleasant Hill is one of the worst neighbourhoods in the city.. we are the stab capital of Canada, or Regina is and we are a close second. Either way, majority of them occur on or around 22nd street, avoid it like the plague!

J epworth
03-29-2011, 04:14 PM
Sounds good, so no Pleasant Hill! Luckily I can bring my car out so distance to campus isn't a big priority, Nothing seems like it's that far from anything. How bad is traffic in the city?

GreenLantern
03-29-2011, 04:22 PM
Traffic is slowly getting worse. It takes me anywhere from 15-30 minutes to get to work from the far SW Corner of the city to Campus every morning.

It totally depends on how many lights I hit on the free way. Ya thats right, we have lights on the free way, figure that out for me.

If you rented on the east side of the river or in the City Park area it would take you about 5 minutes to get to campus. But if you go out to Willowgrove, Stonebridge, or any of the newer developments your time will be anywhere from 15-30 as well, even though its about 1/3 the distance I travel.

Traffic east going west is about twice as bad as traffic going west to east. Thats a good rule of thumb to remember when trying to figure out distance and time.

Keep in mind, it used to take me 15 minutes to get there via the through city route 6 years ago, it now takes me 30-40 in the mornings, which is why I switched to the freeway.

J epworth
07-19-2011, 06:13 PM
Just updating if anyone wanted to know, but I found a place to live, ended up renting a room in a three bedroom house right on Cumberland ave N, across from Griffiths stadium, for only 350/month. Very happy that I got something so affordable and will actually be very comfortable, and so close to the university.

saskflames69
07-20-2011, 09:51 PM
I live there, but I can't really help you with housing. If you need info about the city just ask me

rd_aaron
07-22-2011, 08:07 AM
Just updating if anyone wanted to know, but I found a place to live, ended up renting a room in a three bedroom house right on Cumberland ave N, across from Griffiths stadium, for only 350/month. Very happy that I got something so affordable and will actually be very comfortable, and so close to the university.

That's a pretty good price for so close to the Uni. Hopefully you like your roommates! :)