PDA

View Full Version : Nutritional Supplements (protein, etc)

soulchoice
04-20-2005, 02:28 AM
Hey people, I am just letting people here know that if anyone requires supplements (protein powders, weight loss supplements, etc) that I own a store in Calgary. PM me or something and let me know and I will definitely give a good deal to those cp members looking for products. Just tell me you are a cp memeber. Not sure as to the rules of this forum, so I am not putting the store details here, but will contact and give all the information when we speak.

Feel free to call my personal phone at (403) 680-2215 and I will let you know the locations...etc, or as stated before pm me. Thanks.

kermitology
04-20-2005, 12:27 PM
Do you actually recommend using protien suppliments? I avoid them like the plague after hearing things from a former football player friend and Tiger's fiance who's a nutritionalist. Both said that they do terrible things to your metabolism..

albertGQ
04-20-2005, 12:31 PM
Does your store sell any of that Balco stuff?

soulchoice
04-20-2005, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by albertGQ@Apr 20 2005, 06:31 PM
Does your store sell any of that Balco stuff?
Thats hilarious.....naw, unfortunately, no Balco stuff here.

As far as protein being bad for you, I am not aware of what the situation with Tiger Woods was all about. Could you explain what was said with respect to the subject. Not sure about the football player scenario either, let me know what that was about. I have never in my years heard of anyone whom has died of protein complications, unless they were diabetic.

Taking a protein supplement is similar to taking in another meal, basically another source to fuel your body with the neccessary ingredients to build muscle or repair your body. With respect to the metabolism issue, by taking a protein supplement, it basically will cause your body to begin a digestion process, which ultimately will raise your metabolism level. This is not however the only method to increase your metabolic rate.

Protein should in no way be used as a dinner or lunch, per se. Merely use it for the times in between meals where one may not be able to chow down food. The best way to keep your metabolic rate healthy is to actually eat around 5 small meals a day, as opposed to the traditional 3 big meals. Some can not do this, thus the introduction of protein drinks.

Protein can come in many forms, isolate, concentrate, etc. Depends on an individuals goals. Not sure if this helps, or bores the hell out of all of you. But I thought I would explain a little anyways.

kermitology
04-20-2005, 04:05 PM
I didn't say that anyone died from it, but that my friends one a former football player and one a nutritionist strongly urged me to avoid protien suppliments.

HelloHockeyFans
04-20-2005, 04:14 PM
I work out like a fanatic, but I have always stayed away from any of these protein powders or supplements, simply because it seems unnatural to me.

Having said that however, my friend is a competitive power lifter (just came back from nationals in Calgary, where he placed 3rd) and he is a huge advocater of supplements as he uses them himself. I'm not an expert on the topic, but talking to him about it before, he's told me that there are very few downfalls to taking supplements. As mentioned already in this thread, they are simply meal replacements, since we don't nearly have enough hours in the day coupled with everyone's busy life to constantly take in the "proper" amount of vitamins and protein.

He's been competing for 4-5 years now, and supplements have had no adverse effects on him.

HelloHockeyFans
04-20-2005, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by fotze+Apr 20 2005, 11:10 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (fotze @ Apr 20 2005, 11:10 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-HelloHockeyFans@Apr 20 2005, 04:14 PM
He's been competing for 4-5 years now, and supplements have had no adverse effects on him.
Maybe so but have you seen him naked :lol: [/b][/quote]
Umm... no. <_<

Jake
04-23-2005, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by fotze+Apr 20 2005, 04:10 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (fotze @ Apr 20 2005, 04:10 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-HelloHockeyFans@Apr 20 2005, 04:14 PM
Maybe so but have you seen him naked :lol: [/b][/quote]
That was purely an uniformed comment... don't confuse steriods with protein.

Your body can consume up to its body weight (in grams- 1 g=1 pound) in protein per day. If you do use protein supplement get digested protein... the other stuff doesn't do much since you'll excrete most of it in your toilet. Based on experience people who use protein (usually) get better results from working out.

However since I don't like spending 20-60$ per bucket, I just drink 2 glasses of milk after working out. It doesn't work as well though.