PDA

View Full Version : Canadian Olympic Baseball Team

kipperfan
08-17-2004, 06:43 PM
Am I the only one a little surprised by the calibre of talent that is on our olympic team. I remember our national teams from the past, and they were horrible, and you wouldnt know a guy on the team unless you followed A ball.

But these guys are real players!! We got Ducey, Spoljaric, Dickson, Radmonovich, Klapp and Laforest with good ole Ernie Witt as the manager!! I think we have a decent shot at silver in this event, I cant predict us to beat Cuba too, but sh** anything could happen!!

Jiggy_12
08-17-2004, 07:43 PM
They look good so far, but they have yet to play a contending team. I look forward to see how they stack up against Cuba and Japan.

kipperfan
08-17-2004, 07:46 PM
They have looked good, but I was referring more just to the bigger names, with much more expiernece and skill than ever before, my hopes are high!!

Beating Cuba, ihope so, but wouldnt bet on it, but those Japs better watch out, cause their goin face Dickson, and hes real good.

JiriHrdina
08-17-2004, 07:56 PM
In the exhibition games leading into the Olympics I believe their biggest problem was hitting. If they can keep on swinging the sticks as they have been they should be fine. The pitching should be good enough to contend with the good teams.

RedHot25
08-17-2004, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by Jiggy_12@Aug 18 2004, 01:43 AM
They look good so far, but they have yet to play a contending team. I look forward to see how they stack up against Cuba and Japan.
Agreed.

But they are going no-nonse. Heard an interview with Ernie Whitt - the guy sounds like he takes no bull. Its all or nothing...

I-Hate-Hulse
08-17-2004, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by kipperfan@Aug 17 2004, 07:46 PM
Beating Cuba, ihope so, but wouldnt bet on it, but those Japs better watch out, cause their goin face Dickson, and hes real good.
What is it 1942? Yes - but what will we do when we face those Kraut and Wop teams? <_<

Resolute 14
08-17-2004, 09:11 PM
I am encouraged that Canada is blasting these teams. That is a very good sign. But, fact is, Taiwan, Italy, the Netherlands, Greece and Australia arent contenders.

Japan and Cuba are going to be the tough ones, and I really, really hope we can upset Japan. With our run differential, beating Japan would likely mean 1st in the round robin, a very easy semifinal matchup, and an excellent shot at the gold medal game.

edit: Of course, what the Canucks are doing is made very remarkable by the fact that our two best players in Justin Morneau and Jeff Francis were not released by their major league teams to come to Athens.

calf
08-17-2004, 11:01 PM
Any team with a guy named Stubby Clapp is going to be good. It's the law.

Mean Mr. Mustard
08-18-2004, 01:20 AM
Originally posted by I-Hate-Hulse+Aug 18 2004, 03:02 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (I-Hate-Hulse @ Aug 18 2004, 03:02 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-kipperfan@Aug 17 2004, 07:46 PM
What is it 1942? Yes - but what will we do when we face those Kraut and Wop teams? <_< [/b][/quote]
Lay off the Wops what did they ever do to you.

Sincerely,

Drunken Irish pig.
________
OMAHA FORD MOTOR COMPANY ASSEMBLY PLANT PICTURE (http://www.ford-wiki.com/wiki/Omaha_Ford_Motor_Company_Assembly_Plant)

TheCommodoreAfro
08-18-2004, 05:47 AM
Personally I'm hoping we can play Japan in baseball just so I can see some coverage of the Olympics that isn't Japanese.

The Olys here are as bad as Bob Costas and NBC.

Resolute 14
08-18-2004, 08:21 AM
Australia upset Japan, leaving us the only undefeated team. Our chances of winning the pool just increased.

RedHot25
08-18-2004, 11:46 AM
Did any of you guys see the Road to Athens/Athens In-Depth report on Sportsnet (I believe it was)?

These guys look like they are quite the team- i.e. for what it is worth, the chemistry and camaderie appears to be present. Apparently, I believe likely after qualifying for the Olympics, they sang Oh Canada on the bus ride - insanely loud.

Not that its a huge deal, but it just shows how strong their commitment is...

Jiggy_12
08-18-2004, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by Snakeeye@Aug 18 2004, 08:21 AM
Australia upset Japan, leaving us the only undefeated team. Our chances of winning the pool just increased.
Wow, Autrailia? Thats unexpected, our chances just got a whole lot better.

Resolute 14
08-18-2004, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by Jiggy_12+Aug 18 2004, 06:08 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Jiggy_12 @ Aug 18 2004, 06:08 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Snakeeye@Aug 18 2004, 08:21 AM
Australia upset Japan, leaving us the only undefeated team.# Our chances of winning the pool just increased.
Wow, Autrailia? Thats unexpected, our chances just got a whole lot better. [/b][/quote]
I havent checked the standings, but Cuba may be in a position where they could throw their game against Canada to ensure Canada finishes first, and they fourth. They did it to us in the 99 Pan Am Games, and I wouldnt put it past them if they had the opportunity this time around.

Edit: Forgot to mention we beat Team North America...err, Greece 2-0.

We are 4-0, while Japan is 3-1, and Cuba 2-1, but leading their game today.

evman150
08-19-2004, 03:49 AM
Australia beat Japan pretty good yesterday and the Aussies lost to Chinese Taipei who Canada beat 7-0. What does that say about the Japanese? And what does it say about the Cubans that they lost to the Japanese? I think it says Canada's got a pretty good shot at gold here.

I heard them say on the broadcast this morning the Aussies had one Dave Nilsson on their team. You Milwaukee Brewers fans out there will remember Dave, the slugging first baseman/catcher from the early 90's. Wondered what happened to him.

RedHot25
08-19-2004, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by evman150@Aug 19 2004, 09:49 AM
Australia beat Japan pretty good yesterday and the Aussies lost to Chinese Taipei who Canada beat 7-0. What does that say about the Japanese? And what does it say about the Cubans that they lost to the Japanese? I think it says Canada's got a pretty good shot at gold here.

I heard them say on the broadcast this morning the Aussies had one Dave Nilsson on their team. You Milwaukee Brewers fans out there will remember Dave, the slugging first baseman/catcher from the early 90's. Wondered what happened to him.
Be careful with that idea, though...not saying that it couldn't happen or is happening, but Japan and Cuba are traditional powerhouses.

Resolute 14
08-19-2004, 11:10 AM
All it takes is one upset. Canada is only in the olympics because Mexico shocked the US in the quarter finals of the qualifying tournament. Were it not for that upset, we would have met the Americans in the semis, and probably would be on the outside looking in.

RedHot25
08-20-2004, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by Snakeeye@Aug 19 2004, 05:10 PM
All it takes is one upset. Canada is only in the olympics because Mexico shocked the US in the quarter finals of the qualifying tournament. Were it not for that upset, we would have met the Americans in the semis, and probably would be on the outside looking in.
Well, we didn't get that upset, did we? 9 - 1....all I have to say is OUCH!

kipperfan
08-20-2004, 07:21 PM
Well I was pretty wrong.

Im hoping that game was the exception, not the rule, that was sick, if we have any chance of contending with the big boys we CANT pitch like that.

TheCommodoreAfro
08-20-2004, 08:11 PM
All it takes in Bball is a pitcher to have an off day - the Japanese were whipped by the Aussies for the same reason we were spanked by them.

kipperfan
08-21-2004, 10:30 AM
Well........we lost again.

I actually thought they turned in a decent performance, after the 3rd inning anyway! The bats got going late, they just coudlnt seem to convert base runners into runs. Dickson got hit pretty hard in the 2nd but calmed down after, bullpen turned ina strong effort. All considered for the first game against the Cubans, it wasnt that bad. We shouldntn have any problems getting into the medal round, but if we do we will have to bone up, and beat one of the big two.

Resolute 14
08-21-2004, 11:32 AM
These last two games were the ones that worried me. I was hoping for an upset, but no go. We will make the semis though, and hopefully we can pull off the big win in the semis, to get to the gold medal game.

Resolute 14
08-22-2004, 01:33 PM
And we go into the medal round on a high. Canada clobbered the Aussies 11-0.

Semifinals are thus:

Australia vs Japan
Canada vs Cuba

An upset puts us in the gold medal game, while chances are excellent that if we lose to Cuba, we will face and beat the Aussies again for the bronze.

browna
08-22-2004, 01:48 PM
At last, they found their bats.
As long as they aren't intimidated like they were vs. Japan, and, don't be in awe early towards the Cuban mystique, they can play thier own game and take out the Cubans.

And, as in the Flames drive for the playoffs, in the other game, we can cheer for...injuries!

HOZ
08-23-2004, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by TheCommodoreAfro@Aug 18 2004, 11:47 AM
Personally I'm hoping we can play Japan in baseball just so I can see some coverage of the Olympics that isn't Japanese.

The Olys here are as bad as Bob Costas and NBC.
Get your BS tuner.....

Eagle Eye
08-24-2004, 07:50 AM
Well it looks like the Aussies took out the Japenese and are now off to the Gold Medal game. Looks like Canada could come out of this without a medal if they lose to the Cubans

octothorp
08-24-2004, 07:58 AM
Originally posted by faxri@Aug 24 2004, 06:50 AM
Well it looks like the Aussies took out the Japenese and are now off to the Gold Medal game. Looks like Canada could come out of this without a medal if they lose to the Cubans
Looks a lot tougher now, though. Before, it looked like a loss to Cuba and a win over Australia would be enough for a medal. Now, we'll need a win over Japan to capture a medal. Getting a bronze just got tougher. On the other hand, getting the gold just got a lot easier.

From the highlights, it looks like Australia had amazing fielding in that game.

troutman
08-24-2004, 01:02 PM
CANADA 3 - CUBA 2 in the eighth inning!

Jiggy_12
08-24-2004, 01:12 PM
Good news, keep the updates coming for those of us who cant watch

Inferno
08-24-2004, 01:15 PM
:angry: Canada's blowing it. 3-3.

RougeUnderoos
08-24-2004, 01:15 PM
3-3 now. Cuba with two men on, no outs. Bottom of the 8th.

calgaryred
08-24-2004, 01:20 PM
I'm too afraid to watch!!!!!!!!!!!! :o

troutman
08-24-2004, 01:21 PM
Cuba with two on and one out; 3-3 bottom of eighth.

RougeUnderoos
08-24-2004, 01:27 PM
5-3. Still two on, one out.

Fell apart after that brutal call in the 8th I think.

I_H8_Crawford
08-24-2004, 01:29 PM
It's the throwing error that killed them.
Geez, that double play would have been real nice right now, hey? :angry:

Oh well not like its something new; Canadian athletes choke again at the Olympics.

troutman
08-24-2004, 01:29 PM
6-3 CUBA; bases loaded, one out.

Tell us about the brutal call.

Top of the ninth. 8-4?

RougeUnderoos
08-24-2004, 01:45 PM
8-3 now.

Th lead off hitter in the top of the 8th (for Canada) hit a grounder but beat the throw to first by a step. The ump called him out for some reason. The Cuban TV crew (that's the feed we are watching on TSN) wouldn't even show the replay right away. The Canadian announcers were saying "they won't show the replay they won't show the replay because they are Cuban" (paraphrasing). They did show it eventually and he beat the throw.

Next guy up walked in like 5 pitches then got caught taking too big a lead. Next guy up struck out looking.

RougeUnderoos
08-24-2004, 01:46 PM
8-4 Canada homerun that I missed typing the above post.

I_H8_Crawford
08-24-2004, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by RougeUnderoos@Aug 24 2004, 07:45 PM
8-3 now.

Th lead off hitter in the top of the 8th (for Canada) hit a grounder but beat the throw to first by a step. The ump called him out for some reason. The Cuban TV crew (that's the feed we are watching on TSN) wouldn't even show the replay right away. The Canadian announcers were saying "they won't show the replay they won't show the replay because they are Cuban" (paraphrasing). They did show it eventually and he beat the throw.

Next guy up walked in like 5 pitches then got caught taking too big a lead. Next guy up struck out looking.
If one bad call is going to rattle a team that bad, they don't deserve the gold.

Patek23
08-24-2004, 01:51 PM
did anyone see that guys reaction after he got the ball in the stomache!

HAHAHA!

troutman
08-24-2004, 01:57 PM
WILD PITCH! 8-5.

Tying run at the plate!

calf
08-24-2004, 02:01 PM
are there 2 out?

RougeUnderoos
08-24-2004, 02:01 PM
8-5 bases loaded 2 outs some guy names Simon Pond about to hit.

That guy getting hit in the stomach was hilarious. Two pitches later another guy got hit in the face off the same bat.

I'm not a sadist neither were hurt so it was funny.

RougeUnderoos
08-24-2004, 02:06 PM
Going going going going caught at the wall game over. Seriously like a foot from being a homerun that would tie it.

Damnit that was close. Good game.

calculoso
08-24-2004, 02:56 PM
Simon Pond. Outfielder (LF I think) for the Blue Jays. Seemed to have some promise when he was up, although was not ready for the big leagues yet.

RougeUnderoos
08-24-2004, 03:02 PM
He didn't get to hit actually. He was just being inserted in that spot and the Cubans raised some sort of stink and he had to sit down. This all happened during commercial/while I was out of the room typing on here. Kevin Nicholson was the guy who came up and almost became the hero.

Resolute 14
08-24-2004, 03:04 PM
Wow. Talk about worst case scenario.

The Japanese choking to Australia twice is what really killed us.

I wasnt really expecting us to beat Cuba, though it is nice that we did keep it relatively close. Cuba is to baseball what the Americans are to basketball - minus the ego.

Now, because of the damned Japanese, getting even the bronze is seriously in doubt, which is a shame, because Canada was very clearly the third best team in this tournament.

Sylvanfan
08-24-2004, 04:07 PM
So does anyone else think Australia snaked us in that final round robin game in an attempt to avoid a matchup with the Cubans? Those frickin convicts don't deserve to play for Silver. :angry:

calf
08-24-2004, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by Sylvanfan@Aug 24 2004, 04:07 PM
So does anyone else think Australia snaked us in that final round robin game in an attempt to avoid a matchup with the Cubans? Those frickin convicts don't deserve to play for Silver. :angry:
I think the Canadian Baseball Association should launch a formal protest! :blink:

I-Hate-Hulse
08-24-2004, 04:10 PM
Arrrghh... no, not the Japanese. We get to play against their dream team... not what I'd like to see... I'm worried they'll play like they're trying to save face and really show their stuff. Hopefully they'll be so demoralized they'll play like USA Mens Basketball or the NY Rangers....

RedHot25
08-24-2004, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by calculoso@Aug 24 2004, 08:56 PM
Simon Pond. Outfielder (LF I think) for the Blue Jays. Seemed to have some promise when he was up, although was not ready for the big leagues yet.
Huh?

Did he actually do that good? Sorry I don't get the hype about pond...

http://bigleaguers.yahoo.com/mlbpa/players/7309

Team G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB K SB CS AVG OBP SLG OPS
2004 TOR 16 49 4 8 2 0 1 6 5 12 0 0 .163 .250 .265 .515

Born in '76, a 8th rounder by the expos....so he'll be 30 in 2006, or a couple of years.