PDA

View Full Version : Parking next to a driveway

Nage Waza
07-01-2009, 10:55 PM
What are the rules for parking next to a driveway? How far away do you have to be? We have a little feud going with a neighbor...

This is the story:

My wife leaves the Blue bin and garbage bags on the right side of the driveway, at the end of it on the road, just a foot or so to the side of the driveway (when looking from the house). The problem is the neighbor parks a car there for weeks at a time, so space is very limited. There is about a foot from her car to the driveway.
The other day my wife was pulling into the driveway and someone put the bluebin in the driveway, in her path to the garage. She got out of her car and moved it back to the road. Later when she was leaving someone moved the bin back onto the driveway. She had to get out and move it again. Remember, she has a baby with her. She got fed up with this 'game' and put a note on the car that is now parked (in the spot that our bin was) that asked them to stop moving the bin and to quit backing into our driveway (the driver does not do a three point turn, they would rather back into our driveway). The note was polite, my wife is not confrontational. She thought a note was the way to handle this. My wife thought they were moving the bin so they can park in that spot.
So the neighbors went off on me last night. I told them that the contents of the note do not justify their current behavior, and that kinda calmed them down. The wife was still pissed and got really angry a few times.
They claim that there will be hell to pay if our bin blows over and hits their car. I think it is their car that is the problem. The car might be small, but there is less than a foot on either side of it from my driveway and their driveway. I think the rule is 1.5 meters, is this true? Why are people such jerks? I tried to explain why the note was written and that because they might handle a situation differently does not make my wife's choice to write a note wrong, especially since it was well written and quite pleasant. At one point the neighbor got up and was yelling and swearing, I am not even sure what it was they were mad at.

What is the parking rule? Can you park a car without moving it for long periods of time on a public street a foot from a driveway?

ken0042
07-01-2009, 11:09 PM
You may not park within 1.5 metres of a driveway (http://www.calgary.ca/docgallery/bu/roads/2008_traffic_tips_booklet.pdf)

(Page 7)

Barnes
07-01-2009, 11:13 PM
^^Yup. And in alleys, you need to leave room 1.5m for garbage bins as well. If you don't have an alley, I would assume it would be the same.

Nage Waza
07-01-2009, 11:54 PM
Thanks guys, the car is about a 12 to 15 inches away. So if my bin blows over and hits their car, which is too close, is that their fault? What can I do about this? I certainly don't want to call the bylaw officer to ticket them. I simply want to put my garbage out. They neighbors somehow think we started this whole thing, I tried to tell them that is not the case, we simply are not left with a choice since they park there.

Jayems
07-01-2009, 11:57 PM
Tell them not to move the bins again. If they're worried about their car, then politely inform them if they chose to park illegally, they suffer the risks associated with that. Those risks include ticketing and dents from flying recycling bins.

I think if you explained it properly, you wouldn't come off like you were threatening them and they might get the point to shut up and stop moving the bins or else they'll have to park elsewhere.

4X4
07-01-2009, 11:59 PM
Thanks guys, the car is about a 12 to 15 inches away. So if my bin blows over and hits their car, which is too close, is that their fault? What can I do about this? I certainly don't want to call the bylaw officer to ticket them. I simply want to put my garbage out. They neighbors somehow think we started this whole thing, I tried to tell them that is not the case, we simply are not left with a choice since they park there.

They sound like a couple of dipsh1ts. Can they not back up? Why not? Another driveway blocking them? Fine. Can they not understand that the way the garbage is collected interferes with their parking once per week? If not, I suggest parking in that spot. All the time. Buy a beater and park it there.

ps, if you need help "towing" a car out of your way, drop me a pm.

Ryan Coke
07-02-2009, 12:04 AM
Couldn't find it in your link ken, but does anyone know if there is an actual law/bylaw about parking in front of supermailboxes? I haven't been able to find anything specific, but I thought I had seen something at some point.

Nage Waza
07-02-2009, 12:15 AM
Thanks for all the great feedback! I think I might print this whole thread out and give it to them. Had it not been for their car, for them moving our bin, and for them reversing into our driveway several times a day (and we do have aggregate), none of this would be an issue. So why are they yelling at me? My wife basically had enough and wrote a letter (an extremely mild letter). Maybe printing this thread is the way to go.

DOK
07-02-2009, 12:18 AM
WHAT? Sorry, bin or no bin, call by law and get a ticket written! Those laws aren't written for fun or for only when people get mad. They are laws like any other that need to be followed. It's not a snotty thing or overdoing it at all, it's the point.

Don't go figuring out if your bin hits their car when there is a completely valid bylaw on the books about parking 1.5m away from driveways. That solves all your issues right there without bothering about damage control from the bin.

I consider myself the local wacky by-law lady and have called 3 - 4 times in my neighborhood. Some guy though he could park his cab for his semi trailor on the street, which he did for a couple weeks until I called. Another time, these brats were climbing a tree, busting branches, and paiting the branches on the back path, again, a call, another was for someone dumping in a feild. To me, all legitamite issues! People will complain all day about these things going on in their neighborhoods but do nothing about it. OR they get into it with the neighbours, which generally doesn't help, drags it out, or causes more crap in the long run. By-law is confidential and legal.

To me, it's a rule as solid as a no parking sign sitting right on your driveway edge, "NO PARKING WITHIN 1.5M". You'd call in a heartbeat if there were a sign there, right?

4X4
07-02-2009, 12:18 AM
Before you print it, hold on a sec... You make your wife take out the trash? Is that not the one chore that dudes are bound to?:whistle:

My wife leaves the Blue bin and garbage bags on the right side of the driveway, at the end of it on the road, just a foot or so to the side of the driveway (when looking from the house).

Rathji
07-02-2009, 05:39 AM
Before you print it, hold on a sec... You make your wife take out the trash? Is that not the one chore that dudes are bound to?:whistle:

I don't take out our trash or set out our blue bin.

However, my wife parks in the back where the garbage goes and I park in the front. When our downstairs 'tenant' moves out and I am able to park in the back again I will most certainly be taking the responsibilities up again.

SportsJunky
07-02-2009, 07:19 AM
WHAT? Sorry, bin or no bin, call by law and get a ticket written! Those laws aren't written for fun or for only when people get mad. They are laws like any other that need to be followed. It's not a snotty thing or overdoing it at all, it's the point.

Don't go figuring out if your bin hits their car when there is a completely valid bylaw on the books about parking 1.5m away from driveways. That solves all your issues right there without bothering about damage control from the bin.

I consider myself the local wacky by-law lady and have called 3 - 4 times in my neighborhood. Some guy though he could park his cab for his semi trailor on the street, which he did for a couple weeks until I called. Another time, these brats were climbing a tree, busting branches, and paiting the branches on the back path, again, a call, another was for someone dumping in a feild. To me, all legitamite issues! People will complain all day about these things going on in their neighborhoods but do nothing about it. OR they get into it with the neighbours, which generally doesn't help, drags it out, or causes more crap in the long run. By-law is confidential and legal.

To me, it's a rule as solid as a no parking sign sitting right on your driveway edge, "NO PARKING WITHIN 1.5M". You'd call in a heartbeat if there were a sign there, right?
Do you chase the kids away from in front of your house with a broom?

Cowperson
07-02-2009, 07:27 AM
Nobody likes being told they're in the wrong and they don't like getting notes telling them that either. Some react better than others. They chose to react by trying to intimidate you.

Get a copy of the brochure. Circle the relevant line about 1.5 metres. Circle the picture of the car too. Attach a note to the brochure that reads:

"Regarding our conversation of the other day, please find attached a city brochure under the heading "Parking" indicating by-law fines of up to $75 can be applied to you in the instance we were discussing. We would rather not call the by-law people to resolve this but, if you are not willing to compromise and be in compliance, then we will have to. Please be considerate of our situation and help us out with this. Thank you."

Leave it on their car again.

Secure baseball bat for possible self-defence.

Cowperson

Barnes
07-02-2009, 07:54 AM
You should add this portion to Cow's note.

'If the blue cart blows over and does damage to your car, please contact the owner of the cart at:

Calgary City Hall
P.O. Box 2100, Stn. M.
Calgary, AB Canada T2P 2M5
Mail Code #230'

Flacker
07-02-2009, 08:14 AM

Do you talk to your NEIGHBOURS before calling in the law. People like you are destroyers of community, and if you lived on my street I'm sure I would have a pretty strong hate on for you. Talk to your neighbours politely or leave a carefully worded note, calling in Bylaw Bill just makes your neighbours enemies.

You and your ways madame turn neighbours into spatting little children. Are you also big on litigation!!

P.S. YOU SUCK!!

Traditional_Ale
07-02-2009, 08:16 AM
Take off all their rims in the middle of the night while leaving it on bricks.

Jimmy Stang
07-02-2009, 08:17 AM
Reminds of this past winter... I have a garage and park both cars in the back. I don't care who parks in front of my house.

However, when a car is parked there, the freezing and thawing of a Calgary winter creates a lot of ice as the sun can't hit the sidewalk, plus the front yard is sloped in such a way that the snow melts on the grass and flows onto the sidewalk, where it freezes. There were no cars parked in front my neighbour's house, yet every day he parked in front of my house. In the exact same spot so nothing would thaw.

Finally, after chipping ice away every day and spending a tonne of money on sidewalk salt this year, I went and asked if he'd mind parking in front of his own house as I am having a hell of a time with the ice from his car's shadow. His roommate replied "we know - that's why we park it there."

To his credit, he moved it for me and didn't make a big deal about it. But still - sitting there watching me through your front window while I chipped ice daily and salted it like crazy... kind of an ass move.

Traditional_Ale
07-02-2009, 08:20 AM
Reminds of this past winter... I have a garage and park both cars in the back. I don't care who parks in front of my house.

However, when a car is parked there, the freezing and thawing of a Calgary winter creates a lot of ice as the sun can't hit the sidewalk, plus the front yard is sloped in such a way that the snow melts on the grass and flows onto the sidewalk, where it freezes. There were no cars parked in front my neighbour's house, yet every day he parked in front of my house. In the exact same spot so nothing would thaw.

Finally, after chipping ice away every day and spending a tonne of money on sidewalk salt this year, I went and asked if he'd mind parking in front of his own house as I am having a hell of a time with the ice from his car's shadow. His roommate replied "we know - that's why we park it there."

To his credit, he moved it for me and didn't make a big deal about it. But still - sitting there watching me through your front window while I chipped ice daily and salted it like crazy... kind of an ass move.

Black-out the front windows of his house.

EDIT: Holy crap I'm vengeful before first coffee!

Nage Waza
07-02-2009, 08:29 AM
I think you guys nailed it, they responded to a very mild note with what they thought was intimidation. Says a lot about them. We left a note, they yelled. I think I will have a talk with the dad and reiterate my points and remind him that for several years we have had to deal with their car in front and adjust not only where we place our garbage but deal with difficult reversals out of our driveway and the lovely view of their car every day. Then the city throws the blue bin at all of us, we are just trying to do our thing and not bother anyone. Again, it is their car, their driving and their moving of our bin the resulted in a note. We are not complaining about the car and are not calling bylaw, but at least show us some respect and work with us here. Last night they were taking photos of our garbage! I should post them for everyone. I will do that next pic.

burn_baby_burn
07-02-2009, 08:40 AM
I think you guys nailed it, they responded to a very mild note with what they thought was intimidation. Says a lot about them. We left a note, they yelled. I think I will have a talk with the dad and reiterate my points and remind him that for several years we have had to deal with their car in front and adjust not only where we place our garbage but deal with difficult reversals out of our driveway and the lovely view of their car every day. Then the city throws the blue bin at all of us, we are just trying to do our thing and not bother anyone. Again, it is their car, their driving and their moving of our bin the resulted in a note. We are not complaining about the car and are not calling bylaw, but at least show us some respect and work with us here. Last night they were taking photos of our garbage! I should post them for everyone. I will do that next pic.

Sounds like the gloves are off. Call the Bylaw officer. Or start parking your vehicle there so they have to park somewhere else. They must think that they are doing nothing wrong if they are taking photos of you putting your garbage just off to the side of your own driveway.

mykalberta
07-02-2009, 08:51 AM
IMO if they want to be dicks about it - its mattresses time. Its always good to go to the mattresses once a year just to let off steam IMO.

troutman
07-02-2009, 09:02 AM
Mediation is good for cases like this - these people could remain your neighbors for years.

fredr123
07-02-2009, 09:14 AM
Semi-related question: What are the rules for storing these blue carts? I know from the City's website that you have to have them off the street by 7pm on collection day, but is it cool to just leave them in front of your house or on your lawn?

This is quickly becoming my new pet peeve. An alarming number of households in my neighborhood have decided it's a good idea to store the blue cart just off the sidewalk on the grass between homes or to the side of their garage. I don't think you're allowed to store your usual household waste in the same manner during the week, but can you keep your blue cart there? It's unsightly and kind of tacky, at least the way most of my neighbors do it.

If it persists, I'll probably call 311 and report my findings.

Clarkey
07-02-2009, 09:16 AM
Don't phone bylaw, exhaust your other steps first.

JustAnotherGuy
07-02-2009, 09:33 AM
Do you talk to your NEIGHBOURS before calling in the law. People like you are destroyers of community, and if you lived on my street I'm sure I would have a pretty strong hate on for you. Talk to your neighbours politely or leave a carefully worded note, calling in Bylaw Bill just makes your neighbours enemies.

You and your ways madame turn neighbours into spatting little children. Are you also big on litigation!!

P.S. YOU SUCK!!

I had somebody call by-law on me. I had a notice about weeds in my yard.

I had not cut the grass in the back yard for a couple weeks. It was too long. But I am single guy trying to work to cover bills etc etc etc and some things have to slide on occasion.

So anyway, I now wonder which neighbor is the ass who is not man enough to just come over and say they have a problem with my back yard. It would have been a simple conversation.

Neighbor: 'I would really like you to cut your grass. I look out my yard and I like to see a nice yard. blah blah blah

Me: 'I understand. I will get it done this weekend and try to keep it up. Just sometimes I can't keep up with everything blah blah blah.

Neighbor: 'No problem. I understand that.. so hey what about them Flames... "

Me: 'Yes, free agency is coming up. I think they should... "

Simple conversation. Nothing to it.

Now I wonder which neighbor called the by-law on me. And you are correct, I do have some resentment towards them. Should I call about the dog that barks all the time. Call by-law about the people who never clean out that back trough that backs up all the time? No, I won't because if I do have a problem about it I will talk to them. Not the by-law people.

Thank you..:)

fredr123
07-02-2009, 09:46 AM
Talking to a neighbor about their parking habits or lawn mowing skills or sidewalk shoveling prowess can be a pretty awkward conversation. It's the kind of thing many people, probably most people actually, would rather avoid.

For every neighbor like JustAnotherGuy that would welcome a heads up about his lawn, there are probably just as many that would take offense or escalate the confrontation. There are those that probably didn't give an eff to begin with and would likely not give an eff that you had a problem with their weeds. In those situations you've now exacerbated the problem and you've outed yourself as the complainy neighbor.

The ideal situation would be to get to know your neighbors in the first place so you can entirely avoid these awkward situations. Any of my neighbors that I would feel comfortable enough to knock on their door and critique their lawn care skills... actually those neighbors do a good job of not doing annoying things which is probably why we get along in the first place.

troutman
07-02-2009, 09:47 AM
Two words - Key Party.

mykalberta
07-02-2009, 09:47 AM
IMHO once the neighbour moved your recycling bin all chacne for peaceful mediation was over. What drives some jacka$$ to touch property that isnt his.

When I was at school in Edmonton we rented this house. And one wintery morning I saw the neighbour walk into our backyard and "borrow" our snow shovel. I put on a jacket to ask him WTF he thinks he is doing.

He said "well the neigherbour before you let me borrow his snow shovel. (we had lived there for 18 months so this deal wasnt recent) I went on about a 60 minute rant on how I am sick and tired of older folks thinking they can pull this shat.

Anyone who would move your recycle bin is already a bad apple and doesnt deserve alot of second chances.

IMHO he already tried to peacefully mediate the situation with the note. In my experience normal people only react like his neighbour did if they know they are in the right. What they tried to do was basically intimidate the thread starter knowing that him and his wife are likely quiet folks and they thought they could walk all over them.

I would have no futher direct contact with the person other than to print out the bylaw code with a picture of the car in question, measuring tape from the driveway and circle in RED the fine amount.

Give it a week, if they continue to break the law, then call bylaw and keep calling until they get the message. I might even go so far as to call a tow truck (check what the legalities of that are first though).

DOK
07-02-2009, 11:42 AM
Oh calm down.

No brooms and no I don't keep kids balls if they come over my fence.

That was a short and sweet reasoning as to why bylaw is there. Yes, I always talk to my neighbours first and try to get to a good situation. I call after all other ways of fixing are exhausted, GEESH!

The tree was destroyed and the kids were back in school - so I called bylaw to clean it up. I didn't think I needed to go nag kids who were clearly only trying to have fun as they were 10 years old and didn't know what they were doing.

The semi parked out front to me was enough to just not be done. I didn't call to be a bitch, I called because it was clearly not something that is permitted.

The dumping call was because there is a field in my neighborhood that I don't want to turn into a dump and I don't know who's been dumping there. Again to have it cleaned up and signs put up would be helpful.

For the record you guys could have contacted Bingo and had him write me a professional cease and desist pm about my harsh opinions instead of telling me I suck. Now YOUR the one who's started the war!!! (good lord, I'm kidding seriously.)

My point was more that you are permitted to call bylaw and that's not a terrible thing. Your note clearly didn't work (but most of the time they do), your wife was upset, you are annoyed and the car is still parked there. What now? Call bylaw. THAT was my point.

SportsJunky
07-02-2009, 12:12 PM
http://www.lifeat.com/corporate/wp/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/nosy-neighbor.jpg

4X4
07-02-2009, 04:33 PM
I don't take out our trash or set out our blue bin.

However, my wife parks in the back where the garbage goes and I park in the front. When our downstairs 'tenant' moves out and I am able to park in the back again I will most certainly be taking the responsibilities up again.

Wow, Mrs. Rathji, you're a cool chick. When I lived with my ex, she never took out the garbage even once. Good girl and all, but there were two chores that I couldn't escape: taking out the trash and cleaning up the dog crap in the back yard. No way, no how, nuh uh.
And if she asked me to do, golly gee I'd better do it within 10 minutes or else the passive aggressiveness would begin.

"Hey babe, can you please take out the garbage"
"Ok, in a minute. I'm ranting on CP about bad drivers"
"Please? It stinks"
"One sec, hon. These idiots don't know how to drive and I'm schooling them"
clickity click click
10 minutes later
click click click *stupid morons, that'll learn 'em
5 more minutes
click click click

"Babe, you should hear what this moron on CP just said... First I said blah blah blah, then he said blah blah blah... Can you believe this guy?"
"Babe, seriously, what a tool, eh?"
"Yeah. What a tool."
"Whatsa matter, hon?"
"Babe?"

*takes out trash*

"Holy crap, I read what you were talking about while you were taking out the garbage and that guy's an idiot!!"

*sex*

flip
07-02-2009, 04:39 PM
I have alley garbage pick up so maybe I'm in the minority but does anyone actually park 1.5m away from all driveways?

I'm about a foot off my driveway and so are all my neighbors from their respective driveways. When someone parks in my spot out front I don't leave 1.5m when parking near my neighbors driveway.

Even with front garbage pick up I can see not parking within 1.5m on garbage days but the rest of the time I wouldn't give it a second thought.

4X4
07-02-2009, 04:48 PM
I have alley garbage pick up so maybe I'm in the minority but does anyone actually park 1.5m away from all driveways?

I'm about a foot off my driveway and so are all my neighbors from their respective driveways. When someone parks in my spot out front I don't leave 1.5m when parking near my neighbors driveway.

Even with front garbage pick up I can see not parking within 1.5m on garbage days but the rest of the time I wouldn't give it a second thought.

The science of parking in a residential neighbourhood is not cut and dried. There are a few things to consider.

First, how close do you need to be to the mouth of the driveway? It's unnecessary to park right up against it unless you're trying to keep your back end from blocking the driveway behind you, or unless you're trying to conserve enough space behind you for another car to park.

Second, how long are you going to be there? Parking like a ###### is only ok for a few minutes. Leaving your car right up to their driveway overnight is not cool. They need to come and go, and making a hard turn around your car is a PITA. Remember the golden rule.

Third, consider the well being of your ride. Pulling up too close to a driveway is a gamble. For all you know, the person that's going to pull into the driveway is a *insert your least favorite race here* and a *insert a gender here*. Do you really want to leave it up to that person to not scrape your car while parking?

ricosuave
07-02-2009, 04:50 PM

P.S. YOU SUCK!!

Um, they did talk to the neighbors. That didn't work, big guy,

P.S. The bylaws are there for a reason and are for everyone. You don't want bylaw bill around, don't break the rules, and don't be an ass when someone comes over and talks to you about it...

flip
07-02-2009, 04:55 PM
The science of parking in a residential neighbourhood is not cut and dried. There are a few things to consider.

First, how close do you need to be to the mouth of the driveway? It's unnecessary to park right up against it unless you're trying to keep your back end from blocking the driveway behind you, or unless you're trying to conserve enough space behind you for another car to park.

Second, how long are you going to be there? Parking like a ###### is only ok for a few minutes. Leaving your car right up to their driveway overnight is not cool. They need to come and go, and making a hard turn around your car is a PITA. Remember the golden rule.

Third, consider the well being of your ride. Pulling up too close to a driveway is a gamble. For all you know, the person that's going to pull into the driveway is a *insert your least favorite race here* and a *insert a gender here*. Do you really want to leave it up to that person to not scrape your car while parking?

It has never been an issue with my neighbors. The space of my neighbors front yard and my front yard is joined so there is room for 2 vehicles but that means I have to park fairly close to my own driveway. No biggie, my dad knows how to back out of a driveway without hitting a car. My neighbors even drive large trucks and we don't have problems.

If someone is in my spot I park on the short side of our house (which is also the short side on my neighbors house) and just let my car stick a couple of feet out, over my driveway. And since my mom knows how to back out of a driveway (although I usually tell her just in case) my car never gets hit and no one has ever complained.

I even moved my car last week, at my neighbors request, so that he could park his camper there for a couple of days and clean it or whatever, I didn't ask and I don't really care. I didn't mind moving.

My neighborhood isn't really tight for space. Most houses have adjoining front yards so there are numerous places where two cars can fit. I hate areas where it is way too big for one car but not big enough for two.

4X4
07-02-2009, 04:57 PM
^^There you go, folks. This is how neighbourhoods are supposed to work. Perish the thought that your neighbour kindly request that he use that spot for a camper!!:eek:

HalifaxDrunk
07-02-2009, 04:58 PM
*4X4 takes out trash*

"Holy crap, I read what you wrote about me in the Parking next to a driveway thread!!"

*No sex for you*

Updated :w00t:

Peanut
07-02-2009, 07:33 PM
These neighbour relation issues are always touchy. After the note and you trying to calmly explain the situation to them, I'd say it might be time to give bylaw a call.

As an aside... we have alley garages where I live, but does anyone know if there a rule about people parking in front of your house/yard?? Our neighbours across the street have 1) a big extended family that apparently comes to visit all the freakin time, and 2) run some sort of electrolosis/waxing business out of their house.

So all their family/clients park in front of our house for some reason, even though the street in front of their house is wide open for parking. It drives me bonkers. And we're in a cul-de-sac, so all these people are actually driving past their house and turning around before parking in front of our house and walking across the street.

I know it probably shouldn't bug me. But it totally does.

missdpuck
07-02-2009, 07:46 PM
Couldn't find it in your link ken, but does anyone know if there is an actual law/bylaw about parking in front of supermailboxes? I haven't been able to find anything specific, but I thought I had seen something at some point.
Well if not there should be dammit. :D According to our postal regs here if a box is blocked we just don't deliver your mail. Although some of us do on occassion. What is a supermailbox? Is it a cluster box? I don't know what happens if a nonpostal vehicle blocks the mailbox. Maybe there's some clause about preventing someone from getting their mail.

Phanuthier
07-02-2009, 07:50 PM
I would have just bought a ty ass, dirt cheap car and put it in front of my house so he couldn't park there.

ruddstud
07-02-2009, 08:29 PM
put bacon grease, and dog shi# under the handle of the blue cart..... she may think twice next time she wants to move it :whaa:

ricosuave
07-02-2009, 08:44 PM
put bacon grease, and dog shi# under the handle of the blue cart..... she may think twice next time she wants to move it :whaa:

On the handle of your own blue cart? That's an idea. :bag:

evilcougar
07-02-2009, 09:40 PM
Reminds me of when i first moved into my house in McKenzie Towne...my neighbor 2 doors down seriously owned like 5 vehicles. Back then, no yards were developed, there were no houses on either side of me, so, there were no garages yet. Only street parking out front.

So, this ###### and his 89 strewn about vehicles take up the whole street...which, when theres no houses on either side, take up that space, who cares. But, he kept parking his giant a$$ truck right in front of our house, and our house was the perfect length for our 2 smaller vehicles.

So, one morning i got so fed up b/c it was effing cold out side and i had to walk 3 house lenghts to start my car, i took a piece of paper and wrote in giant letters F OFF A HOLE (the whole words) and put it on his windshield.

He never parked in front of our house again.
I felt guilty after i did it, and slightly scared b/c i was almost convinced there was a grow op or a brothel in that house b/c of the amount of people coming and going all the time, but, he just never parked there again and really did F OFF.

normtwofinger
07-02-2009, 10:24 PM
Reminds me of when i first moved into my house in McKenzie Towne...my neighbor 2 doors down seriously owned like 5 vehicles. Back then, no yards were developed, there were no houses on either side of me, so, there were no garages yet. Only street parking out front.

So, this ###### and his 89 strewn about vehicles take up the whole street...which, when theres no houses on either side, take up that space, who cares. But, he kept parking his giant a$$ truck right in front of our house, and our house was the perfect length for our 2 smaller vehicles.

So, one morning i got so fed up b/c it was effing cold out side and i had to walk 3 house lenghts to start my car, i took a piece of paper and wrote in giant letters F OFF A HOLE (the whole words) and put it on his windshield.

I felt guilty after i did it, and slightly scared b/c i was almost convinced there was a grow op or a brothel in that house b/c of the amount of people coming and going all the time, but, he just never parked there again and really did F OFF.

This is not meant to be a personal attack, but it's neighbours like you who really piss me off. The street is free grounds to park where you want as long as you are not breaking a law (ie. driveway, fire hydrant, corner, superbox).

I used to live in Silver Springs and our street was always full of cars. Most houses on our street did not have garages. Sometimes I would have to park a tad over the property line to our neighbours. The ######bag neighbour would always park 2 inches from my back bumper if he felt I was encroaching on his space. He would always have plenty of space behind him too.

I got fed up with that, so started to park across the street when I couldn't fit infront of my house. The old cranky neighbour across the street wrote several nasty notes on my car.

It's neighbours like that who really make life frustrating. So sorry if you have to walk an extra 10-20 feet to your car.

4X4
07-03-2009, 12:26 AM
This is not meant to be a personal attack, but it's neighbours like you who really piss me off. The street is free grounds to park where you want as long as you are not breaking a law (ie. driveway, fire hydrant, corner, superbox).

I used to live in Silver Springs and our street was always full of cars. Most houses on our street did not have garages. Sometimes I would have to park a tad over the property line to our neighbours. The ######bag neighbour would always park 2 inches from my back bumper if he felt I was encroaching on his space. He would always have plenty of space behind him too.

I got fed up with that, so started to park across the street when I couldn't fit infront of my house. The old cranky neighbour across the street wrote several nasty notes on my car.

It's neighbours like that who really make life frustrating. So sorry if you have to walk an extra 10-20 feet to your car.

You're off the hook because you only had one or two cars. She's talking about five. Not three, not four, but five. Who the hell has five cars besides DroopyDrew and that f'ing Larkin freak from 84th ave? (don't bother trying to figure that out)

Seriously, is it not common courtesy to park in front of your house? Sure, you have a party sometimes, and sure, someone else has a party and your spot got snaked, but deliberately parking in front of other peoples' house all the time? A$$holishness, pure and simple.

evilcougar
07-03-2009, 12:30 AM

Ya, i know what your'e saying, but as 4x4 said and can personally attest to, seriously this guy had at least 5 vehicles. I have no problem walking an extra 20 or 30 feet to my car once in a while, but, when i have to do it every single day b/c you are retarded and can't find somewhere else to park your own damn car, then i want to punch you in the face.
I let it go for quite a while thinking maybe he had people staying with him or (as i said before, some kind of brothel or grow op) but after months of this and never developing any kind of common courtesy, i had to do it.

So feel free to hate neighbors like me, but, i hate neighbors that are ignorant ######s.

evilcougar
07-03-2009, 12:32 AM
You're off the hook because you only had one or two cars. She's talking about five. Not three, not four, but five. Who the hell has five cars besides DroopyDrew and that f'ing Larkin freak from 84th ave? (don't bother trying to figure that out)

Seriously, is it not common courtesy to park in front of your house? Sure, you have a party sometimes, and sure, someone else has a party and your spot got snaked, but deliberately parking in front of other peoples' house all the time? A$$holishness, pure and simple.

LOL! DroopyDrew...LOLOL!!

Nage Waza
07-03-2009, 07:45 AM
My neighbor has four cars, and we are in a cul de sac. This jerk gets mad because my blue bin is near his car...where the hell am I supposed to put it? His car has sat in front of my house for almost two years.

valo403
07-03-2009, 07:55 AM

Maybe a good chance that he actually did have something going on. I'm sure he'd much prefer to not have any undue attention on himself if that was the case, and a pissed off neighbor could certainly bring a whole lot of that.

nfotiu
07-03-2009, 08:09 AM
There is clear moral to this thread:

A polite note shows weakness, says to your neighbour that you can probably be intimidated and brings about unwanted confrontations. F Off A hole shows you mean business, might be crazy, and it gets the job done!

Titan
07-03-2009, 09:54 AM
http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:qq2ELbW38dxr6M:http://www.homedepot.ca/wcsstore/HomeDepotCanada/images/catalog/44de1dd8-4beb-429e-a2a1-5bcc11290a57_4.jpg (http://images.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=http://www.homedepot.ca/wcsstore/HomeDepotCanada/images/catalog/44de1dd8-4beb-429e-a2a1-5bcc11290a57_4.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/showthread.php%3Ft%3D548384&usg=__Yn03vD_KYfLJk9Yq336Xj3o6hS8=&h=400&w=400&sz=14&hl=en&start=2&um=1&tbnid=qq2ELbW38dxr6M:&tbnh=124&tbnw=124&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dspray%2Bfoam%2Bin%2Ba%2Bcan%2Bhome%2B depot%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Doff%26um%3D1) + gas tank.

Checkmate.

longsuffering
07-03-2009, 10:43 AM

As others have already mentioned, what's wrong with having a chat with the neighbour about his parking issues BEFORE putting the F-off note on his vehicle. Isn't THAT what a good neighbour would do?

ZDogg
07-03-2009, 11:30 AM

Sometimes my neighbour likes to park right behind me like that (more like 1-2 feet) even when there is no space restriction behind them. That "Traffic Tips" manual didn't say anything about parking too close to others. Does anyone know if there is such a restriction?

monkeyman
07-03-2009, 11:35 AM
Sometimes my neighbour likes to park right behind me like that (more like 1-2 feet) even when there is no space restriction behind them. That "Traffic Tips" manual didn't say anything about parking too close to others. Does anyone know if there is such a restriction?

I don't see anything wrong with that. It leaves space for other people to park behind him.

jammies
07-03-2009, 11:43 AM
I used to have a car and a truck. I parked the truck a block away on the far side of a street where there were no houses rather than take up a parking spot nearby that someone else could legitimately use.

You might not "own" the spots in front of your house, but common courtesy is to try to share the available spaces equitably. A good neighbour doesn't need a note to do this, it's done automatically and issues don't arise.

You Need a Thneed
07-03-2009, 11:51 AM
even having 5 cars here at my parents house just isn't a problem.

2 in the garage (back yard), one in the back concrete pad, 2 on the front driveway, 2 on the street in front of their house (without parking in front of anyone else's house)

And that's with a 35' fifth wheel in the driveway as well (beside the house).

ZDogg
07-03-2009, 11:52 AM
I don't see anything wrong with that. It leaves space for other people to park behind him.
The problem is that I now need to park even farther back from the vehicle infront of me (thus reducing parking space) or else do the back and forth several times just to get out. Plus it makes reparking very difficult when I get back to the spot (assuming nobody has moved).

I'll probably just do the same thing back to them until they get the point.

You Need a Thneed
07-03-2009, 12:20 PM
If they park 1 foot away from you, just get another car and pull up with an inch of their back bumper.

Flacker
07-05-2009, 12:03 PM
Um, they did talk to the neighbors. That didn't work, big guy,

P.S. The bylaws are there for a reason and are for everyone. You don't want bylaw bill around, don't break the rules, and don't be an ass when someone comes over and talks to you about it...

Ahhh, I wasn't replying to the OP you mental midget. Maybe check the quote.

Rathji
07-05-2009, 12:17 PM
These neighbour relation issues are always touchy. After the note and you trying to calmly explain the situation to them, I'd say it might be time to give bylaw a call.

As an aside... we have alley garages where I live, but does anyone know if there a rule about people parking in front of your house/yard?? Our neighbours across the street have 1) a big extended family that apparently comes to visit all the freakin time, and 2) run some sort of electrolosis/waxing business out of their house.

So all their family/clients park in front of our house for some reason, even though the street in front of their house is wide open for parking. It drives me bonkers. And we're in a cul-de-sac, so all these people are actually driving past their house and turning around before parking in front of our house and walking across the street.

I know it probably shouldn't bug me. But it totally does.

When we ran our landscaping business from our home we researched very carefully the legal restrictions we would need to deal with when running a home based business. One was, you could only have up to 3 deliveries/employees/clients visit your home a week.

If it is causing you grief talk to them about it and explain that while you understand they need to run thier business, you would appreciate it if they would advise their clients to steer clear of in front of your house. There are probably some very solid grounds for you to launch a formal complaint if they don't decide to appease you.

flameswin
07-05-2009, 12:24 PM
even having 5 cars here at my parents house just isn't a problem.

2 in the garage (back yard), one in the back concrete pad, 2 on the front driveway, 2 on the street in front of their house (without parking in front of anyone else's house)

And that's with a 35' fifth wheel in the driveway as well (beside the house).

Seems like you have so many cars that you can't even keep count.:whistle:

Ford Prefect
07-05-2009, 12:32 PM
Reading this thread reminds me of some of the neighbours I had over the 20 year period I lived in Calgary ... and makes me really glad I got the hell out of Dodge.

Bownesian
07-05-2009, 12:33 PM
Oh calm down.

No brooms and no I don't keep kids balls if they come over my fence.

On a related note, this spring we cleaned up my Grandfather's house after he was moved to the Col. Belcher. We found a drawer in the basement that had probably 30 tennis and ball hockey balls in it. We put the balls into a bag and put it in the hockey net that was at the end of the cul-de-sac.

Miserable SOB.

gargamel
07-05-2009, 12:42 PM

That's something that varies a lot from one neighborhood to another. I've lived places where people think you're a jerk if you park within 5 feet of them, and I've lived other places where people think you're a jerk if you leave more than 2 or 3 feet on either side of your car, because there won't be enough space for everyone if people don't pack in. It's just the type of thing where you have to hope that people are considerate enough to park appropriately given the situation.

twotoner
07-05-2009, 09:23 PM
Where do you live? I wouldn't mind trying out this parking spot (1.5 metres from your driveway of course).

onetwo_threefour
07-05-2009, 09:47 PM
You all can come park in froont of my house. We're on a corner and have 40' on the side of the house and 140' on the front. Hopefully people won't have to park within 5' of my driveway. Strangely enough, as many others have said, whenever our neighbours across the street have get-togethers, the visitors always seem to park in front of our house even though the other side of the street is usually bare. Because of the way people come in, they are almost always doing a u-turn to park in front of our place too. We only ever had an issue once with that type of thing where a person parked with the nose of their car right at the edge of our driveway. The problem is that our driveway is quite narrow, and along the entire length of the other side is a 5 foot high fence that effectively makes backing out of our driveaway a blind hope and a prayer situation at the best of times because what traffic there is on our street mostly comes from that direction. To have a car parked right at the edge of the dirveway makes it a nightmare because you then have to back out almoist all the way into the street before you can crank the wheel around to pull away. Since we didn't know who they were and weren't sure who they were visiting, we just let it slide.

On the other hand, for some reason, city works drivers like to idle their trucks directly in front of my driveway in the middle of the day if they are in the neighbourhood. There's been a few times when I've come home for 'lunch' and had to honk my horn to get some city pickup truck, water truck, or other vehicle out of my way so I could pull into my own driveway.