PDA

View Full Version : Cooperalls (Did you know)

North East Goon
01-18-2008, 02:07 PM
I read somewhere that Cooperalls were worn by all teams in the 81-82 pre-season for teams to try. Can any of the oldtimers remember seeing the Flames in long pants that pre-season? I certainly do not.

flambers
01-18-2008, 02:08 PM
I read somewhere that Cooperalls were worn by all teams in the 81-82 pre-season for teams to try. Can any of the oldtimers remember seeing the Flames in long pants that pre-season? I certainly do not.

Flyers wore them for a season or so.

MattyC
01-18-2008, 02:10 PM
Flyers wore them for a season or so.

ya my dad had to sport those in his early days with the flyers and maine:bag:

albertGQ
01-18-2008, 02:13 PM
I think it was just the Flyers and Whalers for the one season. They were so brutal that the NHL outlawed them. But I was only two years old then so I may be wrong

albertGQ
ya my dad had to sport those in his early days with the flyers and maine:bag:

What's your dad's name?

JayP

/\ /\

browna
01-18-2008, 02:14 PM
I thought I heard some where that additional teams did think about wearing them (maybe they were the ones tried them out in that preseason?), but only PHI and HFD kept them.
Not sure it was the whole league, though.

RougeUnderoos
01-18-2008, 02:16 PM
I don't remember that and I ain't never seen a picture. Considering the size of the Corral and the fact that exhibition games aren't on the TV, I guess it could have happened, but I doubt it.

The Whalers also wore long pants. They were green though, and not stolen from the referee's closet like the Flyers ones.

North East Goon
01-18-2008, 02:16 PM
There's a Darryl Sittler Toronto pair for sale on e-bay hmmm curious maybe all teams did wear them at least once. The guy wants over 4 large for them.

greatbigC
01-18-2008, 02:23 PM
I would be classified as an oldtimer I believe and I only recall the Flyers wearing them. The Whalers were mentioned above and very well may have given them a shot as well.

Matata
01-18-2008, 02:24 PM
et Voila

http://images.google.ca/images?hl=en&q=cooperalls&gbv=2

stay classy hartford

dustygoon
01-18-2008, 02:26 PM
I remember wearing them in minor hockey myself and i seem to remember the Wranglers wearing them. Great look. Why didn't it catch on.....slipping on the ice too much or something?

MelBridgeman
01-18-2008, 02:29 PM
wore them up until peewee..i liked them,thought they were cool
WHL teams wore them for most of the 80's -

tripin_billie
01-18-2008, 02:30 PM
When I was in atom, there was a kid on my team that not only had cooperalls, but also the Cooper XL7 helmet. Talk about some bad equipment choices.

Sidney Crosby's Hat
01-18-2008, 02:31 PM
I wore them for minor hockey as well for 2 or 3 seasons. I liked them because you didn't have any problems with hockey socks slipping down.

North East Goon
01-18-2008, 02:32 PM
I still prefer the look of the Cooperalls to this day. I think it was banned because of the sliding factor and something to do with linesmen having troubles calling off-sides when you would have 2 teams with the same colour pant.

BavarianHorde
01-18-2008, 02:33 PM
I would love to see more pictures of them if they are available. I will have to look.

EDIT: I found a bunch, but not of any other teams then the ones previously mentioned.

http://i.a.cnn.net/si/multimedia/photo_gallery/0612/gallery.worstdressed/images/flyers.jpg

Oil Stain
01-18-2008, 02:35 PM
When I was in atom, there was a kid on my team that not only had cooperalls, but also the Cooper XL7 helmet. Talk about some bad equipment choices.

Was that the helmet that looked like an armadillo?

BavarianHorde
01-18-2008, 02:39 PM
http://www.legendsofhockey.net/graphgallery/FM16.jpghttp://cdn.nhl.com/image-upload/francis_cooperalls_tall.jpg

North East Goon
01-18-2008, 02:40 PM

Yup that's the one and they were banned shortly after because the 2 pieces would break apart under heavy impact.

North East Goon
01-18-2008, 02:41 PM
http://www.legendsofhockey.net/graphgallery/FM16.jpg

Just a wild guess - but is that Blaine Stoughton?

Buff
01-18-2008, 02:45 PM

I remember a couple of kids having this helmet

http://nhldigest.com/the-cooper-xl7-hockey-helmet/

For the two years that I played in Calgary, there was quite a bit of kids who had cooperalls.

SuperMatt18
01-18-2008, 02:48 PM
Whenever i see cooperalls, I Think of Adidas track pants and that Run DMC'S My Adidas is gonna start playing.

dustygoon
01-18-2008, 02:51 PM
I wore them for minor hockey as well for 2 or 3 seasons. I liked them because you didn't have any problems with hockey socks slipping down.

I loved that about them. I always felt my pants and socks were drooping down with the silks. Skinny chicken legs didn't (and still don't) help.

RougeUnderoos
01-18-2008, 02:51 PM
Yup that's the one and they were banned shortly after because the 2 pieces would break apart under heavy impact.

Huh. I just thought they were unpopular because they were ugly so Cooper stopped making them.

I remember Bob Errey wearing one before anyone else. He looked like Spaceman Bob, not Bob Errey.

Mango
01-18-2008, 02:54 PM

That helmet reminds me Petr Klima, for some reason.

Sidney Crosby's Hat
01-18-2008, 03:01 PM
That helmet reminds me Petr Klima, for some reason.

I actually wore the Klima helmet for quite a few years... it was a Jofa (also made famous by Kelly Hrudey).

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j22/Sparkyplug_16/klima_petr.jpg

habernac
01-18-2008, 03:03 PM
I had Cooperalls, but without the long pants. They had a short shell instead, so maybe all the teams were wearing those.

Howie_16
01-18-2008, 03:09 PM

I was also guilty of that, plus add in the Micron skates where you put your foot in a bootie, then the bootie went into the plastic molded skate. Good time then, it was...:whistle:

Howie_16
01-18-2008, 03:13 PM
I had Cooperalls, but without the long pants. They had a short shell instead, so maybe all the teams were wearing those.

As a old timer, I can say with all confidence that the Flames organization never wore long pants, put some players did wear the cooperall girdle with the short pants.

As supported by the provided pictures, only Hartford and Philly wore the long pants. IIRC, Philadelphia wore them for two seasons, one season with the orange/white striping, and one with the solid pant pants with the Flyers logo at the bottom.

Mango
01-18-2008, 03:18 PM
I actually wore the Klima helmet for quite a few years... it was a Jofa (also made famous by Kelly Hrudey).

Yup! That's the one. Did Hrudey take the Jofa and just put a cage on it?

alan21
01-18-2008, 03:29 PM
http://www.legendsofhockey.net/graphgallery/FM16.jpghttp://cdn.nhl.com/image-upload/francis_cooperalls_tall.jpg

I noticed the goalies never wore them, is there a reasoning behind this? Is it affected by the pads?

looooob
01-18-2008, 03:32 PM
you could be talking about me, albeit I didn't have both until peewee:bag:

tvp2003
01-18-2008, 03:35 PM
Cooperalls were banned because of safety issues -- players would go sliding into the boards too quickly, causing injuries :bag:

For the two years that I played in Calgary, there was quite a bit of kids who had cooperalls.

On the Flames media guide, there's a picture of Iggy (age 10) sporting one of these :D

MattyC
01-18-2008, 03:35 PM
i for sure sported the jofa "sphere" helmet made famous by mario and jagr

RougeUnderoos
01-18-2008, 03:47 PM
you could be talking about me, albeit I didn't have both until peewee:bag:

I never went with the XL7 but I did have the Cooperalls. I think all the kids (at least the kids who weren't total losers) had them for a season or two. I even went so far as to sporting the rare "second generation" Cooperalls that weren't as slip-slidey as the originals.

The first ones were a slippery nylon type deal, pretty much the same material as a sail on a boat. The second ones were heavier and coarser and not as cool/TRON looking, but at least you didn't end up at center ice when you went to block a shot like Brad Marsh.

Jetsfan
01-18-2008, 04:10 PM

Actually, I do remember seeing the Jets practice in Winnipeg with blue cooperalls with a red stripe down the middle. It was broadcast on CKY with Peter Young. They never played a game in them.

schnee
01-18-2008, 04:14 PM
Didn't the California/Oakland seals where them too... along with their white skates?

EDIT: nm.. I think the worst they did was the white skates...(not even sure if cooperalls were around back then).

foofighter15
01-18-2008, 04:14 PM
We wear cooperalls (close to it) in roller hockey. They aren't that bad.

Kev
01-18-2008, 04:24 PM
They were Christmas presents...Geeesh.:bag:

FlamesKickAss
01-18-2008, 04:32 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cooperalls

I thought i read somewhere that every team wore them in a pre season as well

FlamesKickAss
01-18-2008, 04:35 PM
sorry to make a new post but look what I found, I knew i saw it somewhere. I was looking for a pair to wear for the heckle :bag:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Toronto-Maple-Leafs-Darryl-Sittler-Game-Worn-Cooperalls_W0QQitemZ130164343217QQihZ003QQcategory Z50120QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Howie_16
01-18-2008, 04:41 PM
sorry to make a new post but look what I found, I knew i saw it somewhere. I was looking for a pair to wear for the heckle :bag:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Toronto-Maple-Leafs-Darryl-Sittler-Game-Worn-Cooperalls_W0QQitemZ130164343217QQihZ003QQcategory Z50120QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I call B.S. on that item. One way to find out if the Flames actually wore the long pant version of Copperalls would be to go to the basement of the Central branch of the Calgary Public Library where they keep the microfieche (sp?) of the Calgary Herald and look at the sports sections of September 1981. Surely one could find a picture or article there.

FKA, I'm sure you could pick up cooperalls for under 4 grand if you look a little harder...

FlamesKickAss
01-18-2008, 04:43 PM
o yea, im sure i could. i wouldnt want anything that is even close to leafs crap anyways real or fake

RougeUnderoos
01-18-2008, 04:46 PM

I don't know if I buy that story. By the time they were making them with that big logo on the thigh they were on the way out. What makes them "Darryl Sittler's Cooperalls", other than the number 27 written inside 'em?

FlamesKickAss
01-18-2008, 05:00 PM
I don't know if I buy that story. By the time they were making them with that big logo on the thigh they were on the way out. What makes them "Darryl Sittler's Cooperalls", other than the number 27 written inside 'em?

you would think it would have the leafs logo or something. he states the is a coa, I bet they are fake though

browna
01-18-2008, 05:50 PM
Those "Sittler" ones on Ebay look far too well worn to have been used for just a fortnight in training camp and preseason in 1981, if the Leafs even did wear them for that period in the first place.

MelBridgeman
01-18-2008, 08:01 PM
look like swift current bronco cooperalls...or just regular cooperalls from some beer league

Hack&Lube
01-18-2008, 09:08 PM
What's wrong with them? Saves you the problem of wearing shorts + hockey socks, etc. It saves you a lot of time.

Sidney Crosby's Hat
01-19-2008, 01:15 PM
Yup! That's the one. Did Hrudey take the Jofa and just put a cage on it?

Yep he did. I think Arturs Irbe was another goaltender who did that (and Don Edwards way back in the day).

Having worn that helmet, I don't know how he felt protected wearing that mask with Al MacInnis slap shots whizzing by his head!

pylon
01-19-2008, 01:26 PM
Hey I remember in probably 84 or 85 when I opened a box under the xmas tree there was a blue XL7, and blue cooperalls in it... I thought it was the coolest thing ever. That was until I noticed 2 black and yellow KOHO fiberglass sticks with the OVAL shafts.... anyone remember those? I couldn't wait to get out on the ice and sport my new high tech gear...in fact if i remember correctly I spent my xmas day playing my new Atari games wearing an XL7 (bubble cage and all) and cooperalls....lol

Howie_16
01-19-2008, 01:26 PM
What's wrong with them? Saves you the problem of wearing shorts + hockey socks, etc. It saves you a lot of time.

Oh, I agree. I hate the 90 seconds it takes me to put my shin pads inside my hockey socks and pull them up. Plus, my garter belt is SO complicated! :rolleyes:

hah
01-19-2008, 01:29 PM
Flames never wore them in any official exhibition game. I attended every game in the corral and even some early pre season practices at SAIT.

The jets tested out the pant based cooperalls.

MattyC
01-19-2008, 01:32 PM
Oh, I agree. I hate the 90 seconds it takes me to put my shin pads inside my hockey socks and pull them up. Plus, my garter belt is SO complicated! :rolleyes:

waoh waoh woah....you still use a garter belt?!:eek:

Howie_16
01-19-2008, 01:35 PM
waoh waoh woah....you still use a garter belt?!:eek:

Yep, I'm pretty old school that way.

MattyC
01-19-2008, 01:36 PM

haha niceeee;)

pylon
01-19-2008, 01:42 PM
Same here, I stopped using the velcro jock a few months ago and went retro myself. I always found the socks would detach from the velcro mid game. garters are way more reliable, and I love the reaction when I tell my girlfriend I need to go pick up a new garter belt.....

ricosuave
01-19-2008, 01:44 PM
That was until I noticed 2 black and yellow KOHO fiberglass sticks with the OVAL shafts.... anyone remember those?

I totally remember those! - loved the feel of them - too bad they werent very good!

Hack&Lube
01-19-2008, 02:17 PM
I'm sure in the 1981 preseason that the Flames didn't want the expense of trying Cooperalls, they were still wearing old stock Atlanta Flames surplus stuff with flaming C's stitched onto them.

MattyC
01-19-2008, 02:24 PM
Same here, I stopped using the velcro jock a few months ago and went retro myself. I always found the socks would detach from the velcro mid game. garters are way more reliable, and I love the reaction when I tell my girlfriend I need to go pick up a new garter belt.....

they still make them new?

Ironhorse
01-19-2008, 11:57 PM
waoh waoh woah....you still use a garter belt?!:eek:Me too. The bonus with that is that you can borrow your wife's when yours is in the wash... :D

MattyC
01-20-2008, 12:20 AM
Me too. The bonus with that is that you can borrow your wife's when yours is in the wash... :D
o...bad bad image

snappyk
01-20-2008, 08:11 AM
I still have my cooperalls from the 80's they were sweet, Maroon, Gold and White, beat those colors.

Flames in 07
01-20-2008, 02:57 PM
I still have my cooperalls from the 80's they were sweet, Maroon, Gold and White, beat those colors.

How about blue black and white, when you played for blackfoot and your jersey colour was red yellow and white.

North East Goon
01-21-2008, 08:54 AM
Hey I remember in probably 84 or 85 when I opened a box under the xmas tree there was a blue XL7, and blue cooperalls in it... I thought it was the coolest thing ever. That was until I noticed 2 black and yellow KOHO fiberglass sticks with the OVAL shafts.... anyone remember those? I couldn't wait to get out on the ice and sport my new high tech gear...in fact if i remember correctly I spent my xmas day playing my new Atari games wearing an XL7 (bubble cage and all) and cooperalls....lol

Sure I remember those sticks. They had absolutely no flex and would leave the palms of your gloves blue. There was also a more square version of that stick which was black.

wookster
01-21-2008, 09:13 AM
I totally remember those! - loved the feel of them - too bad they werent very good!

Heh, I still have one of those koho sticks in my basement, I remember the corner chipped off the top of the blade so I shaved it down and use it for street hockey on occasion. Damn thing just won't break lol

CaptainCrunch
01-21-2008, 09:27 AM
I remember that there were daily complaints about the Flyers and their all black pants, goalies were whining that they couldn't pick out the puck from the jumble of black clad legs in front of them.

Leave it to the Flyers to find an angle.

Personally, I wore them in minor hockey, but I always thought they looked like sweat pants, and really unprofessional.

Now if the jerseys were made to look like the matching sweat jacket, and the players had to wear a ton of bling.

burn_baby_burn
01-21-2008, 09:29 AM
Playing minor hockey in the early to mid 80's everyone had Cooperalls. Every kid on my Pee-wee team had them. Most of the teams in our league were 100% Cooperalls. I remember laughing with my teammates when we played a team and one of their players didn't have Cooperalls. We thought they were the coolest thing and I wanted them so badly when I was 10.

If memory serves the Flyers and Whalers had them for sure. I remember the Canadiens wearing them briefly as well. Hanging out at the rink as kids it would be a huge topic each time we would hear about an NHL team switching to Cooperals. We all figured it would be just a matter of time before every NHL team had them.

zukes
01-21-2008, 10:12 AM
I rocked the Cooperall's playing Novice and Atom. They were awesome.