PDA

View Full Version : What's with all the hate towards the Canucks?

PeterPocklingtonIsMyHero
03-21-2006, 12:38 AM
After reading several of these threads, i could easily see that many of us don't like the Canucks. One thing though, that really confuses me is that we have flames fans who dislikes the Canucks much more than the Oilers.

Why?

Why would we prefer to have the Oil in a playoff spot over the Canucks? Isnt Edmonton our longtime rival whom supercedes any other rivalry we have with any other city?

KootenayFlamesFan
03-21-2006, 12:42 AM
I hate both.

I just seem to find the Canucks themselves and some of their fans much more arrogant than the Oilers.

Probably doesn't help that I live in B.C. and have the Canucks on TV and radio every day.

gottabekd
03-21-2006, 12:44 AM
I'd say the Oilers have quite a few respectable players. Makes them a respectable team.

The same cannot be said about the Canucks.

vanisleflamesfan
03-21-2006, 12:44 AM
I hate both.

I just seem to find the Canucks themselves and some of their fans much more arrogant than the Oilers.

Probably doesn't help that I live in B.C. and have the Canucks on TV and radio every day.

That pretty much sums it up for me too.

Mojo247
03-21-2006, 12:48 AM
That's the point you want to beat your rival not let someone else take the spoils. Oilers/Flames games are some of the best in sports and as a fan of the game we all love to watch even if its with one eye closed and teeth clinched.:eek:

As for the Canuks missing the dance after last seasons year end game for the Oil makes it easy to be a hater. :mad:

rockstar
03-21-2006, 12:50 AM
What's with all the hate towards the Canucks?

Because I hate them.

kremb
03-21-2006, 12:51 AM
There are also TONS of Canucks fans in Calgary. Lots of British Columbians have come to Alberta for the Alta advantage. in the early 2000's they were pulling a Leaf Fan everytime the Canucks were in town. Nothing seems to make you detest another team like being out-cheered by them in your own building.

FlamesAddiction
03-21-2006, 12:52 AM
I'd say the Oilers have quite a few respectable players. Makes them a respectable team.

The same cannot be said about the Canucks.
That's the thing...

The Canucks have some really unlikable characters on their team right now. Ruutu, Cooke, Bertuzzi, Jovo, and Cloutier.

And maybe it's just me, but Naslund really annoys me the way he acts so cavalier about playing in the NHL, like he doesn't really value it.

Then there are the Sedin's, while not dastardly, the way they were promoted was gimmicky.

And don't forget Crawford... Egad, that team is like fingernails on a chalkboard.

I think they may beat out LA for a playoff spot though.

I_H8_Crawford
03-21-2006, 12:53 AM
Cannots have Bertuzzi and Ruutu - Grease don't. Debate solved. :)

Ch40s
03-21-2006, 12:53 AM
The real reason is because we've been against the Canucks in a more competitive situation more recently (Round 1 last year), while the last meaningful BOA is how long ago?

Although the reason "Canucks blow harder" is sufficient.

calgaryred
03-21-2006, 12:55 AM
I hate the Nucks
I hate the Oilers

Calgary got revenge for 1994 in the last playoffs
It's time for revenge against the Oilers for 1988 and 1991

Jayems
03-21-2006, 12:57 AM
One team wears mullets, the other breaks necks from behind , or turtle.

I hate vancouver most becasue of their fans too. I really only hate Edmonton because im a calgarian. Thats just what we do.

I actually hate vancouver. I think their arrogance and calling us a "1 year wonder" and all the references back to their '94 glory days... lol. I love to see them suffer.

I can't stand their players, they have no heart.. no soul...

PeterPocklingtonIsMyHero
03-21-2006, 01:00 AM
I see some of your points, especially that class act, ruutu

but there's more greaser fans here than there are canuck fans

I_H8_Crawford
03-21-2006, 01:04 AM

but there's more greaser jackasses here than there are canuck fans
That's just because the Cannot trolls can't show their faces around here - how can you say another team sucks when your own is crapping the bed in Trainspotting-esque fashion??

teamchachi
03-21-2006, 01:07 AM
After reading several of these threads, i could easily see that many of us don't like the Canucks. One thing though, that really confuses me is that we have flames fans who dislikes the Canucks much more than the Oilers.

Why?

Why would we prefer to have the Oil in a playoff spot over the Canucks? Isnt Edmonton our longtime rival whom supercedes any other rivalry we have with any other city?

Several factors are at play:

The playoff series against Vancouver really stoked the fires.
The Canucks have players that we loathe like Bertuzzi, Ruutu, Cooke, etc. I can't think of anybody on the Oilers right now who makes me want to throw something at the TV.
The Battle of Alberta hasn't been much of a battle for the past 10 years. Yes, we hate the Oilers. But they haven't really been good enough to hate for some time. I think this is going to pick up. It will just take one playoff series to stoke it back up.
Canucks fans. Yes, Oilers fans are delusional and can't seem to stop talking about the 1980s, but at least most of them have a clue. There are many knowledgable Canucks fans, some of whom post here, but there seems to be a disproportionate number of meatheads. Or perhaps their meatheads are just more vocal. Tough to say.

Phanuthier
03-21-2006, 01:07 AM
What other team in the league will have players TAUNT the refs?

Or that makes as many whiny complaints as Crawford?

Or a cheap shot artiest like Ruutu?

Or in general, so many god damn hated players on their team?

Not to mention their fans (save a few, with apologies to them)...

alanschu
03-21-2006, 01:09 AM
Canucks fans. Yes, Oilers fans are delusional and can't seem to stop talking about the 1980s, but at least most of them have a clue.

Pfft. Kipper will learn the true meaning of pain when he sees Gretzky and Kurri coming in on a 2-on-1

Jayems
03-21-2006, 01:10 AM
They were all laughing over there when a nuck fan kicked a wing fan down the stairs at the game.

Classy people out there.

Dogbert
03-21-2006, 01:13 AM

but there's more greaser jackasses here than there are canuck fans

You, sir, were not here at the beginning of the season.

PeterPocklingtonIsMyHero
03-21-2006, 01:17 AM
lol, so they've all gone to hiding eh?

so if us flames fans have calgarypuck,
and the greasers have oilfans.com

what does the cannots have?

Jayems
03-21-2006, 01:19 AM
lol, so they've all gone to hiding eh?

so if us flames fans have calgarypuck,
and the greasers have oilfans.com

what does the cannots have?

They have a forum on the official canucks site, plus some smaller ones.

Don't worry, all the nuck fans will return next time they squeak a win out against a team and tell us how bad we are, how boring we are, how much kiprusoff means.. but they continue to watch.

Hack&Lube
03-21-2006, 01:24 AM
I feel that over the years, the kinship with our northern neighbours hasgrown through the hardships of the past decade of disappointments for both teams.

The Canucks are basically Toronto west and merit more hate at this time as they tend to be more arrogant and snobbish in terms of fan base, calling all Albertans rednecks etc.

But the Calgary-Vancouver antagony seems to be the strongest. Most Vancouver fans will hate Calgary much more than Edmonton.

Claeren
03-21-2006, 01:25 AM
I have noticed that younger fans hate the Canucks FAR more then the Oilers.

Many fans old enough to post here weren't even alive the last time a truely meaningful BOA took place.

I am actually quite benign in my feelings towards the Oilers. I HATE the Canucks, pity/hate the Leafs, and get easily riled-up during a Preds game (< A good new rivalry since THE OLIWA game IMHO). But the Oilers? If it is a good game it is a good game...

Claeren.

vanisleflamesfan
03-21-2006, 01:27 AM
But the Calgary-Vancouver antagony seems to be the strongest. Most Vancouver fans will hate Calgary much more than Edmonton.

That is a good point, without a 'natural' rival, the Canuck fans love to hate on Calgary. For some Calgary fans, just listening to the 'nucks fan garbage and giving it back a bit can really stir up the hatred for those stupid Canucks.

Stupid Canucks.

03-21-2006, 01:35 AM
I live in Vancouver and am subjected to their whiny and arrogant fans, media and players, that's why I hate them more. But there are other things to:

- The 2004 playoff series is big, but so was the 1994 and 1989;

- I think there is a social difference too between Calgarians/Albertans and Vancouver/BC. People just see things differently out in BC than in Alberta and this is evident by the way people vote. I grew up in Alberta and moved to BC in my late teens, and even though I love living in Vancouver, I can't stand the majority of the liberal leftwingers out here. I'm not hard core right winger, but the lefties out here make me sick, and I think this social difference also fuels some of the hatred towards BC teams.

Mojo247
03-21-2006, 01:47 AM
Exactly. Guys like Ruutu, Bertuzzi, Cloutier, Cooke, and Park don't deserve any kind of success. Guys like Smy(i)th, Pronger, Staios, and Stoll are much easier to digest.

And FYI, I am going to be Edmonton's BIGGEST fan for the next 5 days.

I'm sure you will have a good week then.:D

CalgaryCowboy
03-21-2006, 04:54 AM
I have strong feeling against Edmonton as a Calgarian but HATE Vancouver. That goes for all sports and life in general. I have been to many football games and grey cups in Edmonton and though there are asses like anywhere else we have more in common than not. Vancouver on the other had is like going to another country. Different values, customs everything. Would live in Edmonton if I had to but never Vancouver. Been to hockey games, Grey Cups, playoff football/hockey games in Vancouver and never seen a rowdier more violent crowd in all my life. I like having the Oil as a rival because I understand them and have respect for there team. Vancouver I hate and have no respect for at all.

When we were out of the playoffs alway watched Oil or Nucks and always found myself liking the oil and cheering for them and hating on the Nucks cheering against them.

PS- Is it just me are the Oil fans a bit better on having some perspective on the team/NHL in general. Too many (not all) Nucks fans have forgotten how the team had terrible attendance and money problems not to long ago. Never seen so many new Bert jersey in the dome once they got good again.

Flame On
03-21-2006, 07:48 AM
I have noticed that younger fans hate the Canucks FAR more then the Oilers.

Many fans old enough to post here weren't even alive the last time a truely meaningful BOA took place.

I am actually quite benign in my feelings towards the Oilers. I HATE the Canucks, pity/hate the Leafs, and get easily riled-up during a Preds game (< A good new rivalry since THE OLIWA game IMHO). But the Oilers? If it is a good game it is a good game...

Claeren.
I hate the Oilers more so recently, but I'm with you, I've been a bit benign to them of late. Vancouver, apart from having lots of inlaws to contend with from the Wet Coast, is hatable for lots of reasons.

zuluking
03-21-2006, 08:37 AM
One playoff series against the chuk and we'll forget all about Vancouver.
Meanwhile though, Vancouver is the epitomy of all that is wrong in the universe. Their condescending nature tends to play like the sickly sweet smell of a freshly-vomited fruit cup. At first it doesn't seem that bad, but then you realize, "Hey, that's puke. Disgusting!" Next thing you know, you've become finely attuned to the smell of fruit cup vomit and it becomes the worst thing in the world. Even the slightest whiff makes you nauseous. That's kind of like the Canucks and their fans.

Resolute 14
03-21-2006, 08:48 AM
That's the thing...

The Canucks have some really unlikable characters on their team right now. Ruutu, Cooke, Bertuzzi, Jovo, and Cloutier.

And maybe it's just me, but Naslund really annoys me the way he acts so cavalier about playing in the NHL, like he doesn't really value it.

Then there are the Sedin's, while not dastardly, the way they were promoted was gimmicky.

And don't forget Crawford... Egad, that team is like fingernails on a chalkboard.

Add in that they have the worst fans in hockey, and that pretty much sums it up for me. When they get rid of the losers they pay to play hockey, the Canucks will return to their rightful place of irrelevency, imo.

Besides, it would be much more fun to knock Edmonton out of the playoffs than to have them miss. We've already done that to Vancouver.

Lanny_MacDonald
03-21-2006, 08:50 AM
Hate for Vancouver? Start with Ruutu, Cooke, Kesler, Burrows, and Bertuzzi. Then add in the Sedins, Naslund, and Morrison. They're a team full of punks and pansies! Oh, and don't forget out homeboy with the mad dreds, Anson Carter! The only dip**** in the league that gives the HUGE fist pump after scoring a gimme when the Canucks are getting blown off the ice. And don't forget the "great" fans. You know, the ones who don't show up unless the team is winning. Canucks fans are the biggest bunch of bandwagoneers around! What IS to like about Vancover?

Textcritic
03-21-2006, 09:54 AM
Did anyone happen to catch "Sports Talk" on QR last night with Mark Stephenson, Jock Wilson, and Craig Button? Wow! Talk about animosity! I think Craig Button was dead on when he said that there is a certain hubris with the Canucks players that is evident on the ice like with no other team in the NHL. In 2001, when they had a 2 game lead on Detroit, they started to think that they could win without playing hockey. In 2002, when they were up 3–1 against Minnesota in the second round the players all but said that the Wild were a cakewalk; and then they lost three straight. The same with Calgary in 2004. The Canucks will never win with their current "core" of players, because they are too glib, and too quick to believe their own press clippings. THIS is why Flames I hate them as much as I do.
I am tired of having the "elite team" propoganda crammed down my throat on a consistent basis. Finally, it seems as though the Vancouver media hordes may be changing their collective tune, and are beginning to recognise what we have known all along: That the Canucks have been severely over-rated.

Walter Reed
03-21-2006, 10:00 AM
What IS to like about Vancover?

The sea wall walk is beautiful ....;)

Bingo
03-21-2006, 10:06 AM
There are good guys on both teams, and good fans from both teams.

But ovearll ... the average Canuck is much more annoying, and the good Vancouver posters are really dragged down by a sea of morons from that city. Vancouver media doesn't help things.

I think the Calgary/Edmonton wars in the 80's have given fans from both burgs a little respect for each other. Vancouver, a down trodden franchise if there ever was one, makes a small rise and then too many fans started to strut and it got old.

If I had to read one more "theyre' out working us", "Vancouver has the skill, but the Flames have the grit" articles two years ago I was going to lose.

Iginla has skill. Kiprusoff has skill. They outplayed Vancouver's best. Period.

MrMastodonFarm
03-21-2006, 10:07 AM
I would love for both teams to miss out, but due to the 3 game series this week it's going to be hard, I just hope the Canucks take the 3 honestly. I hate both both teams alot naturally, but in my neck of the woods their are alot more dummy Oiler fans then dummy Canuck fans.

mykalberta
03-21-2006, 10:14 AM
RU - FATING - 2U

I would rather see Edmonton win the cup than Vancouver make the playoffs (ok maybe not that extreme but)

Couple of reasons I hate Edmonton less than Vancouver:

(1) Vancouver is not in Alberta
(2) Edmonton is in Alberta
(3) Vancouver is in BC - draft dodging deserting capital of Canada.
(4) Edmonton doesnt have RU-FATING-2U
(5) Edmonton's coach wouldnt openly cry.

I smell a lurker, I dont mind you lurking, but dont waste the forum bandwidth on these types of posts please.

MYK

CaramonLS
03-21-2006, 10:25 AM
"We would have won the series if we had Bertuzzi."

Pretty much sums up everything wrong about the Canucks.

Lanny_MacDonald
03-21-2006, 10:26 AM
I would love for both teams to miss out, but due to the 3 game series this week it's going to be hard, I just hope the Canucks take the 3 honestly. I hate both both teams alot naturally, but in my neck of the woods their are alot more dummy Oiler fans then dummy Canuck fans.

Wow, has Adam_Peddle said this up on Oilfans.com? ;)

MrMastodonFarm
03-21-2006, 10:28 AM
Wow, has Adam_Peddle said this up on Oilfans.com?
Probably, it's not like me not liking the Oilers is something I've tried to hide or anything.

Lanny_MacDonald
03-21-2006, 10:29 AM
The sea wall walk is beautiful ....;)

Yeah, and the river valley in Edmonton is beautiful too. :ph34r:

shutout
03-21-2006, 10:56 AM
If there was any way to have San Jose, LA, and Anahiem make it over Vancouver and Edmonton that would be great. But one can only hope and dream, especially with this mini series coming up.

RedMan12
03-21-2006, 11:27 AM
I hate the Oilers. However, living in Vancouver and listening to these whinny Canuck fans, I would have to say I hate the Canucks more. They say Calgary was a cinderella team and they suck and can't score goals and they Sedins are better then Iginla. Like Vancouver has done anything in the last 5 years except win 1 round in the playoffs. Their fans are arogant and they have Bertuzzi and Ruutu. *yuck*

I hate the Oilers but at least I have respect for the team. Vancouver just is a whiny bandwagon fan base and a classless team. They riot and beat up the rival team's fans when they lose in the playoffs.

GO! FLAMES!! GO!!!

darthma
03-21-2006, 12:48 PM
Living in Van, I am surrounded by Canucks fans. I've even taken to listening to the sports radio talk shows lately. Fan 980 here. I especially like listening to the fans after a big loss. It's unbelievable how quickly Canucks fans jump off and on bandwagons. A few short months ago, Canucks fans were talking huge about how awesome the Canucks were, but now all I hear are people phoning in calling for Crow and Bert's heads. It's wonderful and always makes me laugh.

That said, I'd agree with most posters here in saying that the average Canuck fan is much less informed and much more obnoxious than the average Edmonton fan. I've tried watching some games with some supposed Canucks fans, and I always leave stunned. It's like they are watching a different game. I can watch a game with Edmonton fans, Toronto fans, well... just about any other team's fan and not feel out of place, but Canucks fans just seem ... well... stupid.

My experience at the one game I went to at GM place this year was awful. I had Canucks fans in my face all game. I mean, I clap when they make a good play... but they chant "Calgary Sucks".... the level of class in the building is... well... there isn't much at all.

Finally, I have managed to convince a few Canucks fans that Calgary is good and not just Kipper/Iggy and a bunch of rif-raf. And I've managed to get through a few of their skulls that playing as a team is very important, and that the Canucks don't seem to be able to do that.

Dublin
03-21-2006, 01:08 PM
/stirs the pot

Calgary fans hate The Canucks because The Flames are embedded deeply in the little brother roll.

I kid I kid. ( :whistle: )

I was starting to get angry at this topic as I read through it, until I realized that pretty much all the reasons stated above as to way people hate The Canucks are the exact reasons why I dislike Calgary. So I just laughed instead.

T@T
03-21-2006, 01:14 PM
I hate BOTH the Canucks and Oilers...heres hoping for both to miss :D

Jayems
03-21-2006, 01:19 PM
I don't think Vancouver is an ugly city by anymeans, (except for hastings maybe) but its just the pompous idiots that live there with their holier than thou attitude which they display with their hockey team aswell.

Kryzsky
03-21-2006, 01:39 PM
Exactly, Vancouver is getting dangerously close to becoming Toronto.

Burnaby Joe
03-21-2006, 01:39 PM
First time poster, long time viewer here. I will probably regret having this be the first thread that I post in. However, after reading countless Canuck bashing threads I feel obligated to defend my team.

I understand that there have been some hard fought battles on the ice between Vancouver and Calgary in the past few years but had no clue that it had created all of this animosity. For years these nasty remarks were saved for Edmonton fans (where they rightfully belonged) but now have found there was outside of the province of Alberta. How could good hockey between two teams cause such friction? It is merely a game.

I would like to point out that a large number of Canucks fans are first and foremost hockey fans. The fact that a large number of trolls post claiming to be Vancouver fans does not mean that we all share the thoughts of these extremists.

Is Bertuzzi a fool for hitting Moore from behind? Of course he is. A non-troll Vancouver fan would be the first to admit that. It was embarrassing to have a member of our organization disrespect another player and the game in that way. There is no excuse for his actions; he has indeed paid the league imposed penalty for his actions. And it would appear that this incident has further impacted my team in that Bertuzzi will never again be the player that he once was (at least not in a Canucks uniform).

Ruutu, is he a dirty player? He certainly is. He is an agitator. That is what he is paid to do. It is his objective to get other plays off of their game and to cause mayhem. He does it very well and in the process takes stupid penalties (really you should be happy he plays in BC, he weakens our team with his parade to the box). In fact, I have read many comments talking about Calgary needing Nieminen back. Some of his antics on the ice (e.g. running other teams goaltenders) were at least a questionable as Ruutu's it would be nice if some fans would keep that in mind.

It is disappointing that fans of a vastly improved hockey team feel the need to trash other teams when they are down in the dumps already.

Truly as a hockey fan I would prefer both a healthy Calgary and Vancouver team in the playoffs so that we can have another amazing playoff series (as we did 2 years ago). There are some very eloquent posters on this forum and some true hockey fans and I appreciate reading their thought provoking comments.

Let’s keep the banter going, but preferably with the gloves hitting above the beltline.

fotze
03-21-2006, 01:50 PM
/stirs the pot

Calgary fans hate The Canucks because The Flames are embedded deeply in the little brother roll.

I was starting to get angry at this topic as I read through it, until I realized that pretty much all the reasons stated above as to way people hate The Canucks are the exact reasons why I dislike Calgary. So I just laughed instead. Exactly we are the little brother. The little brother who skipped university and got a job right out of school and is now making way more money and is having way more fun that the older brother still stuck in University for his 2nd PhD cause the outside world just doesn't appreciate him. (this is more a city metaphor than team one btw)

RedMan12
03-21-2006, 01:54 PM
/stirs the pot

I was starting to get angry at this topic as I read through it, until I realized that pretty much all the reasons stated above as to way people hate The Canucks are the exact reasons why I dislike Calgary. So I just laughed instead.
I don't get it...

Calgary is jealous because Vancouver is a bigger city? What the hell does that have to do with hockey?

EVERLAST
03-21-2006, 02:01 PM
well ....the fans of the Nucks are certainly entitled to there opinions HOWEVER.....when it all comes down to it I have no idea where these trolls come from. They have NO KNOWLEDGE....THE OPINIONS are based on the all previous trolls posted and they very seldomly deviate from them. They are all a bunch of sheep following one another to the slaughter. I use to be amused by the dumbass **** they would spew. the team itself I havent a problem with.Now ...its just annoying. To have to watch Crawford and Ruutu and thier antics. GOd at least MAc T has the respect of his players. ANyway, I love the games between all of these teams as the entertainment value is always there.....the fans i'll pass on however. ....Nucks fans that is.

Dublin
03-21-2006, 02:02 PM
It wasn't supposed to refer to the cities at all, but the hockey teams. When somebody says something along the lines of "so and so totally has big brother syndrome" they refer to the fact that the "little brother" is jealous of the "big brother" for no apparent reason other then the "big brother" is generally more successful and gets more attention.

ie. "The Canucks suck because they get a full hour of coverage on Sportsnet every night! Calgary only gets ten minutes!"

I don't think this is actually the case. Like I said above, just stirring the pot. Jokes are funnier when you explain them anyway.

SeeGeeWhy
03-21-2006, 02:05 PM
Frig. Dont get me started.

You can't compare Calgary vs Edmonton to Calgary vs Vancouver because there is a certain element of respect there when it comes to our rivalry with the oil. Not so with the Canucks.

I hate the Canucks for many reasons. Sure, I'd tell you, but it would just make a Canucks fan quote me and accuse me of being jealous of Naslund's rugged good looks.

liamenator
03-21-2006, 02:08 PM
It is disappointing that fans of a vastly improved hockey team feel the need to trash other teams when they are down in the dumps already.

I get what you are saying, and that was a good first post.

But... seriously guy, come hang out here after a Canuck victory and then preach to us about dumping on other teams.

Thats the simple fact. 'Nuck fans feel the need to prove themselves and try to drive home their "elite team" point after EVERY SINGLE MINOR victory won throughout the course of an 82 game season. 3-2 over Columbus. "We're back baby! WCE line!! yea-uhhh!!"

I think a huge difference between 'Nuck fans and Oil fans is that most Oil fans are more grounded and realize everything is irrelevant come playoff time. Remember.. like, when we beat you? But 'Nuck fans can't seem to grasp that concept. They harp on and on about regular season success.

Having said all that, I don't want this to become an Oil love-in because I hate those greaser *******s.

EDIT:
See? validation:
It wasn't supposed to refer to the cities at all, but the hockey teams. When somebody says something along the lines of "so and so totally has big brother syndrome" they refer to the fact that the "little brother" is jealous of the "big brother" for no apparent reason other then the "big brother" is generally more successful and gets more attention.

How, exactly, have the Canucks been more successful at any point in the past 2 years? or as a franchise in general?

otisthedog
03-21-2006, 02:13 PM
Just wanted to chip into this one.

I hate the Canucks and oilers, but I have some respect for the Oilers. Respect in the sense that I fear them and in all honesty am envious of their success.

The Canucks I just flat out loath. There is no team other than TO that deserves derision from fans as much as the Canucks. The Canucks are an unlikable bunch from ownership down to the fourth liners. The fans are intollerable, and arrogant like no other.

The thing that really gets me about the Canucks is the culture around the team. I have heard for so long now from media and fans that the Canucks are an "elite" team. I am not sure where that label came from. They have never won a presidents trophy or a conference title, they have won the division once, but were ousted in the first round. Their playoff sucess over the past 10 has been marginal, winning merely one round to a team that was wasted by the flu. Yet, despite this rather average record they have been labelled as "elite".

I believe this "elite" mindset is one of the contributing factors to the whole scandal conserning Bertuzzi. I (and this is my opinion) believe that most other teams in the NHL would have resolved a hit on their star player like the one on Naslund long before it spun out of control. I think that this elite image the Canucks dressing room had led to a culture of redemption that spilled over into the Vancouver media and fans. I was amazed watching Crawford speak of another player with such low regard and with such high regard for his own player.

I actually cheered for tha Canucks back in 94 when they went all the way. I watched them take down Calgary in a room full of Canucks fans and felt so robbed. By the time the finals came the wounds had healed, I actually found myself cheering them on. i say this to qualify the fact that i don't have a long standing hatred for them.

I think this whole "elite" thing comes from the living on the west coast. It seems they feel superior about most things. I have a brother in-law that comes from Vancouver and actually counts the number of Tim Hortons vs. the number of Starbucks in Calgary. He actually believes this is indicative of the redneck level of the city. Of course Whistler is a waaaay better ski resort and he doesn't even ski. And his girlfriend .... what a piece of work...she doesn't even like hockey (it is way below her Phd. in genetics), but for some reason she will tell you the Flames are not as good as the Canucks and they play the trap. She will also go on at length, and tell you that the Bert incident is not anomalous in hockey and that it was the fault of NHL, not the fault of Bert at all.

This is why I hate the Canucks!

Krutov
03-21-2006, 02:15 PM
Canuck fan here ( not a troll )
Can I ask what instances would most posters here recall Ruutu being dirty ? I visit most othere cities forums as well as this one and there is no where near the hatred for ruutu as on this board.

I recall the hit in the pre-season on Ritchie which was clean IMO.
The Phaneuf slip on the stick incident
He was also a jackass leg wrestling in the playoffs in 94.

What are the specifics for calling him a diry player ? Just a question because I don't classify him as dirty . He is a jerk but not dirty.

Jayems
03-21-2006, 02:19 PM
Can I ask what instances would most posters here recall Ruutu being dirty ? I visit most othere cities forums as well as this one and there is no where near the hatred for ruutu as on this board.

I recall the hit in the pre-season on Ritchie which was clean IMO.
The Phaneuf slip on the stick incident
He was also a jackass leg wrestling in the playoffs in 94.

What are the specifics for calling him a diry player ? Just a question because I don't classify him as dirty . He is a jerk but not dirty.

Recent memory? Umm.. Jagr in the olympics? Head hunting.. Just 1.. I can go all day? Want me to keep going?

liamenator
03-21-2006, 02:25 PM
Can I ask what instances would most posters here recall Ruutu being dirty ?

It is the fact that Ruutu plays with absolutely no respect for his opponents or for the game itself.

Flopping around on the ice every time somebody breathes on him; challanging other players only to smile and skate away; submarining guys; headhunting; yapping; whining etc etc etc etc.

Its not so much dirty in the sense of punching a guy from behind and breaking his neck, but all the above things I classify as dirty.

And this all ties into the hatred of the Canucks organization. No other team has or would condone or even employ a player that carries on as he does. But the Canucks and their fans lap it up.

The guy is a joke.

Krutov
03-21-2006, 02:27 PM
Yes I would like you to keep going because the hit was questionable something similar to let's say a Gauthier hit.

More examples needed before I can agree with you.

FlamesAddiction
03-21-2006, 02:28 PM
I don't get it...

Calgary is jealous because Vancouver is a bigger city? What the hell does that have to do with hockey?

Well, we have some Calgary fans here who list political reasons for not liking the Canucks. ie. Left wing politics, draft dodgers, etc. That has nothing to do with hockey either.

It's also worth mentioning that Premiere Campbell is probably the most right wing Premiere in Canada, next to Klein of course.

MRCboicgy
03-21-2006, 02:28 PM
Well the thing is life would just carry on if the Canucks ceased to exist, wheras, no matter how much of a rivalry there is between the Oilers and the Flames, if one ceased to exist (or wasn't competitive) it would be a great loss.

It's like the rivalry with your brother, you want nothing more in the world to dominate him in everything, but if he weren't there, it wouldn't be the same, rather sad.

I want a playoff series vs. the Oilers, I'd like the Nucks to finish lose in the standings, but not low enough to get a good draft pick...

liamenator
03-21-2006, 02:29 PM
Yes I would like you to keep going because the hit was questionable something similar to let's say a Gauthier hit.

More examples needed before I can agree with you.

I'm not going to waste anymore breath on the guy in proving you wrong. Might I suggest you use the "Search" feature of this board and type in "Ruutu" and you shall find countless examples.

kremb
03-21-2006, 02:34 PM
Exactly we are the little brother. The little brother who skipped university and got a job right out of school and is now making way more money and is having way more fun that the older brother still stuck in University for his 2nd PhD cause the outside world just doesn't appreciate him. (this is more a city metaphor than team one btw)
easy there Fotze.

I'm born and raised in Calgary, but I stopped deluding myself that that the Alberta Advantage was anything other than luck to be living over black gold when I was about 14 years old.

That being said, here is my favorite song about Vancouver (pop up real player link)

The City You Live in is Ugly (http://www.newmusiccanada.ca/player/player.cfm?Track_Id=53962)

fotze
03-21-2006, 02:44 PM
easy there Fotze.

I'm born and raised in Calgary, but I stopped deluding myself that that the Alberta Advantage was anything other than luck to be living over black gold when I was about 14 years old.

That being said, here is my favorite song about Vancouver (pop up real player link)

The City You Live in is Ugly (http://www.newmusiccanada.ca/player/player.cfm?Track_Id=53962)
Exactly just like being the closest Canadian city to asia. Open your doors and the money just came a flowin'.

Krutov
03-21-2006, 03:10 PM
I'm not going to waste anymore breath on the guy in proving you wrong. Might I suggest you use the "Search" feature of this board and type in "Ruutu" and you shall find countless examples.

Ok so I am supposed to waste my time ??

I was just wondering why because other boards do not view him like this one does. He is the type of player that is humorous on your team but very easy to dislike as an opponent. As a Canuck fan I certainly like what he brings over Cooke. Cooke has a better offensive game but he also has had a bout 6 kneeing penalties in his career. I have a real problem with guys that do the knee thing.

I can understand the dislike for him I was just looking for a few direct issues.

MrMastodonFarm
03-21-2006, 03:14 PM

I was just wondering why because other boards do not view him like this one does. He is the type of player that is humorous on your team but very easy to dislike as an opponent. As a Canuck fan I certainly like what he brings over Cooke. Cooke has a better offensive game but he also has had a bout 6 kneeing penalties in his career. I have a real problem with guys that do the knee thing.

I can understand the dislike for him I was just looking for a few direct issues.
It's not a matter of wasting your time, as not wasting our time. But since you want a example here is one.

Trying to use Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu on Chris Clark in the 2004 playoffs.

Dublin
03-21-2006, 03:16 PM
Thats the simple fact. 'Nuck fans feel the need to prove themselves and try to drive home their "elite team" point after EVERY SINGLE MINOR victory won throughout the course of an 82 game season. 3-2 over Columbus. "We're back baby! WCE line!! yea-uhhh!!"

How, exactly, have the Canucks been more successful at any point in the past 2 years? or as a franchise in general?

Oh man, first off, I don't see Canuck fans trying to prove themselves after every victory anymore then your average Oiler/Flames fan. In fact I see Calgary fans beating their chest far more often, albiet to other Flames fans. (Which does make sense, seeing as how it's a Flames board and all)

Second, I never said The Canucks had been more successful in the past 2 years, OR as a franchise in general. The big brother syndrome comment was to stir the pot. I even said, twice, that I didn't believe it to be true.
(Sarcasm starts here)
I guess I should have expected you not to understand though, seeing as you're just another redneck Calgary fan.
(Sarcasm ends)

wegotBeers
03-21-2006, 03:20 PM
easy there Fotze.

I have to disagree with you here, this is suppose to be a hockey tread but I can’t resist pointing out to you that the “Alberta Advantage” is more than dumb luck. If this resource was in BC it would be dominated by Unions and Regulations, which, by the way it is all around Ft. St. John and run like ****.

Back to hockey, I agree with the general sentiment here, the fans are arrogant and the team is filled with divers Ruutu, Burrows, Cooke….

alanschu
03-21-2006, 03:21 PM
In the future, use the standard method of HTML tags:

<sarcasm>blahblahblah</sarcasm> :D ;)

CsInMyBlood
03-21-2006, 03:25 PM

Ruutu is a cheap POS. I like how he instigates, then runs to his bench. You actually need examples of how he is a dirty spineless player? I thought you said you were a Canucks fan, do you not watch him?

A recent example of his gay play: Last game vs. Calgary he came skating around the net during a scrum, and kicked Kiprusoff's foot out from under him causing Miikka to bail. Luckily the Flames cleared the puck from the crease. He constantly does little cheap things like that in front of the net, to our D men, and Kiprusoff, and the little puke always seems to get away with it. How the refs don't know what the guy is all about always amazes me.

Glad you find humor in his game, because the guy really is a joke. Fits in well with the rest of the cheap asses that the Canucks love to stock their team with.

Krutov
03-21-2006, 03:31 PM
Trying to use Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu on Chris Clark in the 2004 playoffs.

Do you call that bizarro event dirty enough for a whole board of knowlegable posters to label a guy dirty ? I think not but I will leave it here.

Good luck Flames Fan !

MrMastodonFarm
03-21-2006, 03:36 PM
Do you call that bizarro event dirty enough for a whole board of knowlegable posters to label a guy dirty ? I think not but I will leave it here.

It's simply just one event that I listed, there are many more.

RyZ
03-21-2006, 03:40 PM

Good luck Flames Fan !

I'm not so sure if he's "dirty" per se, but he is a flat out chicken**** and that's what PO's people off. Sure, he'll fight Byron Ritchie or Trevor Daley but if he takes a run at a Jason Smith, Dion Phaneuf or Jarome Iginla he'll go hide behind the boards and 3 of his team mates before he man's up and goes toe-to-toe with anyone of any substance. And then he'll sit there and smile like he's proud of himself for being the biggest joke in the NHL.

RedMan12
03-21-2006, 03:44 PM
Oh man, first off, I don't see Canuck fans trying to prove themselves after every victory anymore then your average Oiler/Flames fan. In fact I see Calgary fans beating their chest far more often, albiet to other Flames fans. (Which does make sense, seeing as how it's a Flames board and all)

Second, I never said The Canucks had been more successful in the past 2 years, OR as a franchise in general. The big brother syndrome comment was to stir the pot. I even said, twice, that I didn't believe it to be true.
(Sarcasm starts here)
I guess I should have expected you not to understand though, seeing as you're just another redneck Calgary fan.
(Sarcasm ends)

If we are just another redneck Calgary fan that makes you another Davie Street bandwagon Canuck fan. Jumping on and off the bandwagon at the pink bus stops downtown.

Of course Flames fans are going to gloat and be proud after a Calgary win, on a Calgary message board.

liamenator
03-21-2006, 04:49 PM

Exactly. Since this is a FLAMES board, sure that may happen here. And I dont have a problem with that happening on CANUCK boards. What PO's people is when 'Nuck fans or any other fan comes HERE spouting off superlitives for their team after a meaningless January regular season win vs. Chicago or St. Louis (oh... wait.. oops). It's just the fact that 'Nuck fans do it more often.

Well if you are making comments you admit not to be true, just to "stir the pot" then you are trolling and falling into the prototypical 'Nuck troll category.

liamenator
03-21-2006, 04:50 PM

As MMF pointed out. You're the one looking for answers, so yes, it is a matter of you wasting your own time.

landshark
03-21-2006, 05:02 PM
As an outside observer, I think I might have some ideas. First, there's bertuzzi - the most hated guy in the nhl. You guy HAVE noticed that he is booed in EVERY SINGLE nhl arena.

Second, you guys clearly hate the oilers the most of all, but there is a grudging respect. Many have no problem admitting that they are indeed a good team this year.

But most of all - edm is the team that you LOVE to HATE. That's why you want them to make the playoffs. So they can be humiliated - preferably by the flames. That's the best of all possible worlds - isn't it?

JiriHrdina
03-21-2006, 05:09 PM

I did a quick scan of "other boards" and discovered that it certainly is not just Flames fans that dislike this chump.

Amongst the other fan sites debating how dirty he is:
Avalanche
Islanders
Maple Leafs
HFBoards in general
Philly Eagles (even NFL fans dont' like him)
Blackhawks
Predators
Wild

And so on

So with all due respect the basis of your criticism of this site doesn't seem well founded as many fans have a problem with Ruutu it would seem.

CalgaryCowboy
03-21-2006, 05:11 PM
I think Vancouver and Calgary are alway going to hate each other. We just don't understand each other. It is like mars and venus. Where as Edmonton I "get". There are great fans in Vancouver but the mob menality ruins it for the rest.

Example:
1. Booing the Americans at the World Juniors when they are playing other team? Just don't get it.
2. Bert being brought out for the jersey thing at the last game and getting a standing O after the Moore insident. I just don't get it.
3. Getting my hard hat stolen (with Vernon sig from the plane and Iggy's after the pre game skate) after game 7. I don't get it. Confronting the theif with "alright you had your fun give it back" and getting Bertuzzied from behind I don't get it. Getting told "walk away or we are going to stomp you" I just don't undestand. Cops arriving and giving the whole "do you a weapon" being patted down and blamed for the incident for being in Vancouver as a Flames fan.
4. At Grey Cup there was a full pat down of everyone entering the official pre game event. I just don't get it!!!!

alanschu
03-21-2006, 05:20 PM
As MMF pointed out. You're the one looking for answers, so yes, it is a matter of you wasting your own time.

I disagree with this. People are making claims about Ruutu being a dirty player and all that. He is questioning the validity of the claims.

To be honest I think it's a lazy way out to tell the guy to go do the searching himself.

Frankster
03-21-2006, 05:24 PM
To add more fuel to the fire...how about 'Nucks fans beating the crap out of some poor Flames fan outside of GM Place in '04...

And if they want to talk about 1994, why don't we remind them of the riots after the Rangers beat them for the Cup???

RedMan12
03-21-2006, 05:27 PM
I disagree with this. People are making claims about Ruutu being a dirty player and all that. He is questioning the validity of the claims.

To be honest I think it's a lazy way out to tell the guy to go do the searching himself.

I think people see Ruutu as a dirty player (its his job)
However, I feel most people don't like him because he is lacking a pair of jacobs, he is missing his minerals, he has no bollocks, no family jewels, no pearls. He is a turtling coward and refuses to fight players that are the same size or bigger then him. He wouldn't fight Dion or Iginla and just yaps his big mouth and skates away. He fought Ritchie, who is aleast 4 inches shorter then him. I know its his job to stir things up but he could back up his play with dropping the gloves once in awhile.

If you ask me players like Bertuzzi and Ruutu make up the Canucks backbone. That is why they are having problems now.

GO! FLAMES!! GO!!!

CaramonLS
03-21-2006, 05:30 PM

Here is one then:

Last game the Nucks played the Flames at the Dome, Ruutu after being knocked down by a legal hit tries to blatently charge a Flames defensemen (can't remember who it was) by taking a flying leap at him in the corner.

Gets called for a blatent charge.

liamenator
03-21-2006, 05:31 PM

I've said all I need to say about Ruutu.

Dublin
03-21-2006, 05:41 PM
Well if you are making comments you admit not to be true, just to "stir the pot" then you are trolling and falling into the prototypical 'Nuck troll category.

There's a large gap inbetween somebody coming in here and making a light hearted comment and somebody coming in here to legitamitly troll the forum by kicking dirt in the forum's collective face. Can you seriously not tell the difference between the two?

Mean Mr. Mustard
03-21-2006, 05:41 PM
This is one of the funniest threads I have read in a while - I have lived in both cities and they are both amazing cities from the design and the general beauty of the city - Vancouver with Whistler, the Pacific, etc, etc. And Calgary with areas such as Banff, Jasper as well as some of the best backpacking in the world in K-Country.

Arguing about which city is better is pointless.

Secondly moving onto Ruutu, I find it somewhat hypocritical that there are a number of Flames fans which have the nerve to call Ruutu a cheap player while at the same time cheer on Marchment - a player who has one of the worst reputations in the league for cheapshots and seems to fromt he outsiders perspective still act in the same manner. Granted I will admit that Ruutu is a cheap player and I have no problem admitting this to be the case - at the same time it isn't a trait which can only be seen in Canuck players.

Lastly with regards to the fan base - no-one is going to say that the Flames bandwagon jumper population is representitive of the entire teams fanbase... I don't see why it is seen that the bandwagon jumpers (and I do know they exist) who cheer for the Canucks are a solid representation of the Canucks fanbase. It is similar to finding a 12 year old Leafs fan who makes a trade suggestion which favours the Leafs and that being taken as a sign that all Leafs fans are complete idiots... logically it just doesn't add up.

But I don't understand the hate for the Sedin's, what have they really done?

Here is one then:

Last game the Nucks played the Flames at the Dome, Ruutu after being knocked down by a legal hit tries to blatently charge a Flames defensemen (can't remember who it was) by taking a flying leap at him in the corner.

Gets called for a blatent charge.

Ok so he charged an opponent, tripped Phaneuf and twisted Chris Clark's ankle....

RyZ
03-21-2006, 05:45 PM
This is one of the funniest threads I have read in a while - I have lived in both cities and they are both amazing cities from the design and the general beauty of the city - Vancouver with Whistler, the Pacific, etc, etc. And Calgary with areas such as Banff, Jasper as well as some of the best backpacking in the world in K-Country.

Secondly moving onto Ruutu, I find it somewhat hypocritical that there are a number of Flames fans which have the nerve to call Ruutu a cheap player while at the same time cheer on Marchment - a player who has one of the worst reputations in the league for cheapshots and seems to fromt he outsiders perspective still act in the same manner. Granted I will admit that Ruutu is a cheap player and I have no problem admitting this to be the case - at the same time it isn't a trait which can only be seen in Canuck players.

Lastly with regards to the fan base - no-one is going to say that the Flames bandwagon jumper population is representitive of the entire teams fanbase... I don't see why it is seen that the bandwagon jumpers (and I do know they exist) who cheer for the Canucks are a solid representation of the Canucks fanbase. It is similar to finding a 12 year old Leafs fan who makes a trade suggestion which favours the Leafs and that being taken as a sign that all Leafs fans are complete idiots... logically it just doesn't add up.

I think you will find that 90% of Flames fans were against the signing in the first place and if you look around these boards Brian Marchment gets very little support from the Flames fan base.

JiriHrdina
03-21-2006, 05:48 PM

A few points...

1. I don't understand the hate for the Sedins either though I think some of that has calmed down this year as they have played very well. I really like their game and find their twin brother mojo stuff neat to watch.
2. I think its misleading to say Flames fans are cheering on Mush. In fact we can recall the reaction of this board when he was signed and many have not changed their tunes. In general I would suggest its a case of tolerating his presence on the team, but not cheering for him individually. I don't like him, I don't like him on the team but I still hope he plays well for us. Its a fine line but an important distinction.
3. Where have you been?

Jayems
03-21-2006, 05:50 PM
Secondly moving onto Ruutu, I find it somewhat hypocritical that there are a number of Flames fans which have the nerve to call Ruutu a cheap player while at the same time cheer on Marchment -
I think you'll be hard up to find anyone here who doesn't think marchment can be cheap.

I like marchment because he's tough, and he scares the hell out of people. I just hate it when he makes a bone head hit.

Difference is, Marchment isn't a ***** that won't fight.

Sparks
03-21-2006, 05:51 PM
Politics? Give me a break. Everyone has their own reasons, but to suggest that a major reason Calgarians hate the Canucks is because of politics is a little sketchy. Remeber, 32% of Alberta did not vote Conservative (15% Liberals, 11% NDP, 6% Other). In urban centres, such as Calgary those percentages are even higher. You may fantasize that all Albertans (even a majority) share extreme Conservative views but good luck backing that one up. There are many red tories, old supporters of the PC party, protest voters, etc, who voted Conservative without being hardcore Conservative. Do you hate the Vancouver Canucks because of the National Energy Program? If so, congratulations on being a weirdo. Perhaps you should go join a cult, if you aren't, figuratively speaking, already a member of one politically.

We're talking about hockey. The Vancouver Canucks hockey team is easy to hate, for the players alone. Many of their fans don't help the situation, for the reasons people have already mentioned above. But I don't see Vancouver ever eclipsing my hatred for the Edmonton Oilers (made stronger, perhaps, 'cause I live in Edmonton!) Alberta pride? Bah! They're the Oilers!

Dublin
03-21-2006, 05:59 PM
I think you'll be hard up to find anyone here who doesn't think marchment can be cheap.

I like marchment because he's tough, and he scares the hell out of people. I just hate it when he makes a bone head hit.

Difference is, Ruutu isn't a ***** that ends careers.

Fixed. ;)

RougeUnderoos
03-21-2006, 06:02 PM

Well we have to cheer on Marchment by default. He's on the Flames. I don't know if you were around when he was injured but the reaction was quite something...

"Marchment is injured and his career is probably over? Wow. More importantly though, I heard that Dion puts tobasco on his scrambled eggs".

I don't know how many posters actually hate the Sedins, they are (or were) just an easy target. Kinda different looking (from everyone else, not from each other), kind of nancyish and just the whole twins thing -- it's really easy to picture them having bunkbeds and matching jumpsuits.

Iowa_Flames_Fan
03-21-2006, 06:18 PM
Politics? Give me a break. Everyone has their own reasons, but to suggest that a major reason Calgarians hate the Canucks is because of politics is a little sketchy.

I agree. For me, politics doesn't enter into the equation any more than how nice the city is. I hate the Canucks with a white-hot passion, yet I actually LOVE Vancouver. I would love to live there--it's a very cool city. I'm also a social liberal, a PhD student--and I wouldn't vote Conservative if you held a gun to my unmentionables. I am, however, a Calgarian, and being a Flames fan is what unites me with other people who may be of different backgrounds, different walks of life, different political persuasions. What is it that unites us?

The Canucks. We all hate 'em. :D

P.S. I suggest that we ignore people who come around here asking "what makes Ruutu so dirty?" That's like asking "What makes John Tesh so irritating?" It's a dumb question, and we shouldn't entertain it.

henriksedin33
03-21-2006, 06:49 PM
Did anyone happen to catch "Sports Talk" on QR last night with Mark Stephenson, Jock Wilson, and Craig Button? Wow! Talk about animosity! I think Craig Button was dead on when he said that there is a certain hubris with the Canucks players that is evident on the ice like with no other team in the NHL. In 2001, when they had a 2 game lead on Detroit, they started to think that they could win without playing hockey. In 2002, when they were up 3–1 against Minnesota in the second round the players all but said that the Wild were a cakewalk; and then they lost three straight. The same with Calgary in 2004. The Canucks will never win with their current "core" of players, because they are too glib, and too quick to believe their own press clippings. THIS is why Flames I hate them as much as I do.

How is the Calgary series like the previous two at all? If I'm not mistaken it was the Nucks who won game 6. Hardly letting a lead slip away.:rolleyes:

Elmer
03-21-2006, 06:53 PM
Wow talk about calling the kettle black, when refering to Canucks as bandwagon fans.

Living in Calgary it was evident that until they made the playoffs there weren't many fans to be found. Going to school during all the non playoff years, a lot of Calgary Fans actually became Canucks/Avalanche/Red Wing/Dallas fans, due to the fact they couldn't cheer for the better team up north. Only Until April of 2004 did you actually start to see fans in Red again, with the stupid car flags. The worst was when you saw guys that 2 weeks earlier were wearing there Sakic/Forsberg/Modano silks, turn around and throw on a retro Fleury or Vernon and convince themselves they've been there through the hard times.

I think its safe to say that even durring the Dark years of the Oilers mid 90's, most fans still sucked it up and cheered for a loser.

Another big contradiction is that people have said they think that Vancouver is arrogent and stuck up. Sure they are but so is Calgary. One Comparison mentioned the PHD personality compared to the Highschool Drop out making more money. I think that Is way more evident in Edmonton and North than Calgary and South.

Anyways As an Oilers fan I'd love a BOA more than anything but if it has to happen in the Second round after a long drawn out fight between the Flames and Nucks, I'm all for it.

FlamesAddiction
03-21-2006, 06:56 PM
I think its safe to say that even durring the Dark years of the Oilers mid 90's, most fans still sucked it up and cheered for a loser.

That's an odd statement, considering Calgary's attendance never fell as low as Edmonton's. And Calgary's dark years were a lot longer than any other team's in recent history.

Elmer
03-21-2006, 07:01 PM
That's an odd statement, considering Calgary's attendance never fell as low as Edmonton's. And Calgary's dark years were a lot longer than any other team's in recent history.

Attendance is just one aspect to look at. You have to be around the Cities to know, and I was in both.

Plus you can still cheer for your team without attending games instead of jumping ship and cheering for another team, that's one thing people overlook.

One major factor that influence Attendance... Money, Edmonton was hit a lot harder in the Mid 90's with the Oil bust, Calgary not as much... and a majority of the population didn't have as much disposible income at that time.

JiriHrdina
03-21-2006, 07:01 PM

Not safe to say that at all.

Here's a great site for historical attendance numbers: http://www.hockeyresearch.com/mfoster/business/nhl_attn.html

If you glance back through the early 90s you will see that Oil attendance took a bigger dip than the Flames ever did.

Mean Mr. Mustard
03-21-2006, 07:04 PM

Difference is, Marchment isn't a ***** that won't fight.

If you look at their fight cards both players have a tendency to back away from fighting.

This year Marchment has gone toe to toe with Ian Laperriere and Scott Nichol - who players who really wouldn't be considered heavyweights.

This year Ruutu has fought Richie as well as Trevor Daley once again two players who really aren't heavyweights by and stretch of the imagination.

----

Looking back to the previous season will show that Marchment got into seven fights (Godard, Abid, Simon X2, Buchberger, Rivet and Hordichuk).

During the same period Ruutu got into seven fights (Ling, Zholtok, Dimaio, Pisani, Gelinas, Holmqvist and Blake)

From this limited analysis Marchment does appear to fight tougher players than Ruutu but the number of fights both players participated in is the same, which does detract from your arguement in my opinion.

----

To go back one more year to the 2002-03 season hockeyfights.com states that Marchment was involved in 9 fights (Hartnell, Laperriere X2, Ference, T. Stevenson, sauer, Langdon, Ling and Nazarov) - (although in their description it states that he hid behind the linesmen in the fight with langdon)

Ruutu was involved in 5 fights (Blake, J. Stevenson, Kalinin, Ling and Grier).

I think it is safe to say that both players do fight.

JiriHrdina
03-21-2006, 07:04 PM
Attendance is just one aspect to look at. You have to be around the Cities to know, and I was in both.

Plus you can still cheer for your team without attending games instead of jumping ship and cheering for another team, that's one thing people overlook.

One major factor that influence Attendance... Money, Edmonton was hit a lot harder in the Mid 90's with the Oil bust, Calgary not as much... and a majority of the population didn't have as much disposible income at that time.

Now you're getting into subjective arguments that frankly can't be proven one way or the other. Your initial post though stated that its safe to say that most fans still cheered for the Oilers. You can make all the excuses you want about why they didn't come out to the games, but the fact is that attendance figures are the only measurable way of defining fan support in a city...and by that measurement your assumption regarding their loyalty to the team can be at the very least called into question.

henriksedin33
03-21-2006, 07:05 PM
Hate for Vancouver? Start with Ruutu, Cooke, Kesler, Burrows, and Bertuzzi. Then add in the Sedins, Naslund, and Morrison. They're a team full of punks and pansies! Oh, and don't forget out homeboy with the mad dreds, Anson Carter! The only dip**** in the league that gives the HUGE fist pump after scoring a gimme when the Canucks are getting blown off the ice.

lol, yeah, Kesler, Naslund, the Sedins and Morrison are just so easy to hate. Bunch of punks.

And don't forget the "great" fans. You know, the ones who don't show up unless the team is winning.

Ummm...WHAT? The Canucks average attendance over the franchise's history is 16012. Pretty damn good considering 25 of those 35 seasons were played in a building with a capacity of less than 16000. Not to mention how bad the teams were for the vast majority of that period. But no, you're right, the fans don't show unless theyre winning.:rolleyes:

Canucks fans are the biggest bunch of bandwagoneers around! What IS to like about Vancover?

Kinda like the thousands of new Flames "fans" sporting red '04 playoff jerseys.

OilKiller
03-21-2006, 07:07 PM
Kinda like the thousands of new Flames "fans" sporting red '04 playoff jerseys.

Yep...we welcome them all.

Nucks still suck too... ;)

FlamesFanInVan
03-21-2006, 07:55 PM
OK. I live in Vancouver and when I first moved here, I had no trouble cheering for the Canucks. When they started putting together a couple of good regular seasons, a lot of fans here suddenly saw them as though they were curing cancer. After having to listen to that for a good 4 years or so, I was officially turned off. There are a lot of great hockey fans for the Canucks, but it just so happens that the loudest ones are the most ignorant. To be a true sports fan requires humility and sometimes it is hard to come by in this town. Another example is from the last couple of games between the two teams. With 10 minutes left in Vancouver, Flames lead 3-1 and a "Calgary Sucks!" chant begins. In the next game in Calgary, the reverse score, same amount of time left, a "Go Flames Go!" chant starts. Vancouver fans would rather be ****y towards the opposition team than cheer their own team on. Because of that and the thousands of ridiculous comments I have had to endure over the last 5 years or so, the Vancouver Canucks are now my most hated team in the NHL.

GO lf Vancouver GO lf
03-21-2006, 08:19 PM
This is a dumb thread
let me see
we beat vancouver in game 7 and eliminated them from playoffs
why wouldnt they hate us and we hate them.

VictoriaFan
03-21-2006, 09:15 PM
Well for me it is living in BC for the last 12 years listening to the hype of the Nucks that has made me hate them, but before that It was the Oilers when I lived in Calgary and the BOA actually meant something.

PeterPocklingtonIsMyHero
03-24-2006, 07:12 AM
This is a dumb thread
let me see
we beat vancouver in game 7 and eliminated them from playoffs
why wouldnt they hate us and we hate them.

this is a dumb post

If you would've read my initial post at the beginning of this thread, you'd notice that I was questioning why there's more hatred over the Canucks than the Oilers.

please die

PeterPocklingtonIsMyHero
03-24-2006, 07:15 AM
Im convinced now that a visit to canuckscorner and vancouvercanucks is in order :)

SeeGeeWhy
03-24-2006, 10:01 AM
I don't know how many posters actually hate the Sedins, they are (or were) just an easy target. Kinda different looking (from everyone else, not from each other), kind of nancyish and just the whole twins thing -- it's really easy to picture them having bunkbeds and matching jumpsuits.

That's why I don't like them.. they're just creepy. Carter looked so uncomfortable being associated with them at the start of the season, and got worse when people started calling them the "Brother" line...

On another note.. the brother line? Give me a break. I don't know if that is more offensive to Carter for the racial undertones, or to the black community in general for suggesting that the sedin sisters have earned a place in their bretheren.

I hate Rutuu because he is a coward. If you are going to aggitate people, don't pretend it wasn't you. Stand up for yourself, assclown. Plus he too ugly to look at.

Mao
03-24-2006, 12:32 PM
Another example is from the last couple of games between the two teams. With 10 minutes left in Vancouver, Flames lead 3-1 and a "Calgary Sucks!" chant begins. In the next game in Calgary, the reverse score, same amount of time left, a "Go Flames Go!" chant starts. Vancouver fans would rather be ****y towards the opposition team than cheer their own team on. Because of that and the thousands of ridiculous comments I have had to endure over the last 5 years or so, the Vancouver Canucks are now my most hated team in the NHL.
That sounds like an invitation to compare.

Around Christmas of 2003 the Canucks were playing in Calgary and Jovanoski was clipped with an accidental high stick and cut. He went down and the Calgary fans cheered. Pretty classless -- but wait, 'cause it gets better. The TV camera then panned up to the jumbotron and it was showing a cartoon of a crying baby. Of course this just egged the fans on more. No applause when Jovanoski got up while he had a towel to his face. The fact that the fans cheered was one thing, but the additional fact that that type of behaviour is/was apparently condoned by Flames management because there are cartoons in existence made me a little ill.

Anyways, the point is all about glass houses and stuff.

Jay Random
03-24-2006, 02:30 PM
On another note.. the brother line? Give me a break. I don't know if that is more offensive to Carter for the racial undertones, or to the black community in general for suggesting that the sedin sisters have earned a place in their bretheren.
Carter has said publicly that he isn't offended. Who made it your job to be offended for him?

Black men in North America have been calling themselves 'brothers' at least since the 1960s. It's an expression of solidarity, the very opposite of a slur. As for the 'Brother Line', what could be a more natural name for a line consisting of two brothers and a brother? I say it's actually a pretty good joke. The movie 'Twins' got a lot of laughs from a weaker concept.

If you can see a racial slur in that, you'll see them in everything — just like the nitwits in Britain who changed the well-known nursery rhyme to 'Baa Baa Green Sheep', and have now outlawed piggy banks because pigs are offensive to Muslims.

KootenayFlamesFan
03-24-2006, 03:10 PM
please die

Was this necessary?

I'm starting to understand why you were band at OF 3 times.

Rhettzky
03-24-2006, 03:24 PM
Black men in North America have been calling themselves 'brothers' at least since the 1960s. It's an expression of solidarity, the very opposite of a slur. As for the 'Brother Line', what could be a more natural name for a line consisting of two brothers and a brother? I say it's actually a pretty good joke. The movie 'Twins' got a lot of laughs from a weaker concept.

I just can't take your post seriously with this line.

Jay Random
03-24-2006, 03:37 PM
I just can't take your post seriously with this line.
I stand by it. A lot of people saw 'Twins', and my thoroughly unscientific straw poll shows that they laughed an average of once each. That's a lot of laughs. Pretty poor for a two-hour movie, but you take what you can get. :p

I mean, consider the average quality of Hollywood movies these days. I hope some studio executroid doesn't hear about the Sedins and Anson Carter and make a movie about them called 'Triplets', but I'm not betting any money that they won't. Are you?

PeterPocklingtonIsMyHero
03-24-2006, 06:43 PM
Was this necessary?

I'm starting to understand why you were band at OF 3 times.

I thought it was my constant trolling at the OF boards